PDA

View Full Version : Anchoring Cinnamon-bun

LisaB234
January 6th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Sometimes I stop at a coffee shop and the woman there has her hair in a cinnamon-bun/bee butt bun most days. She has nearly waist hair that looks like 1a-fine. I am fascinated because she appears to anchor it with a hair tie, but not in the way I would expect. If only I could work up the courage to ask her how she does it - but I don't want to seem like a stalker!

I have tried the scrunchie around the bun approach, but this is a thinner elastic that appears to originate in the middle of the bun and goes around the coils to the outside - making a horizontal line on only one side of the bun.

I have no idea if I'm explaining that in a way someone could understand, but I'd love tips on how to do it - I think that could anchor the bun and then I could could clip something over the top - of the tie, pretty!

Ideas? I still favor updos with ties for sturdiness. . .

Aliora
January 6th, 2012, 10:49 AM
No idea how she does it, but I want to know too! I think you should try and ask her, she will probably be flattered.

white.chocolate
January 6th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I'm really curious, too! I don't think it will be seen as stalking if you politely tell her that you were curious about how she does her hair, as you've never seen it before.

kaiakai
January 6th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I agree! Ask her!!!

WaitingSoLong
January 6th, 2012, 11:16 AM
There is a hair device I saw in a store that basically slides in hair and the elastic goes up and over it to secure it. Maybe it is this.Sorry I have no idea what the device is but I think I saw it at Walgreen!

ETA: I remember it was a long, single haircomb like thing with an elastic attached to it. I remember contemplating buying it and deciding they were asking too much! I just checked walgreen website and can't find it. Hmm.

WaitingSoLong
January 6th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Ok I am looking on the web to try to find this thing and I ran across THIS (http://www.ponybun.com/)and had to share!

Ok this (http://http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7013900.html)is the best I could find! You have to scroll down a bit but this is what I saw only the elastic was only removable on one side.

I am really annoyed I can't find it online! And it was awhile ago i saw it so who knows if it is still there. I am 95% certain it was Walgreens, too.

lunalocks
January 6th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I have seen something by Goody like a short, fat spin pin, wide enough to go around the whole bun to hold it in place. From the side, the metal might look like an elastic? From looking at this spiral thing, I thought my hair might be too long to use it, but now I think I will try it.
Get up the courage to ask her, then let us all know.

Juneii
January 6th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Interesting! Did she start out with a hairtie in her hair while she is making the bun? You say it's going from the outside in so maybe she starts with the hairtie loosely around her hair first like she is going to start with a pony tail and then twists the hair around into a cinnamon bun, passing each coil through the hairtie until the end?

EDIT: upon further investigation that leaves the other side of the hair pretty unstable so nevermind! I hope you can work up the courage to ask her how she does her hair LisaB234!

LisaB234
January 6th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Thank you all for your replies! I will go back this weekend or next week and ask - you have convinced me. Of course, a report will follow.

WaitingSoLong- interesting link - I like the ballet bun - pretty!

LunaLocks- I have seen the giant hair screw (for lack of a better term) and that is not what I'm looking at. I have tried the giant hair screw and can't make it work - maybe my hair is too long or thick?

LadyinTheMeads
January 6th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Interesting! Did she start out with a hairtie in her hair while she is making the bun? You say it's going from the outside in so maybe she starts with the hairtie loosely around her hair first like she is going to start with a pony tail and then twists the hair around into a cinnamon bun, passing each coil through the hairtie until the end?

EDIT: upon further investigation that leaves the other side of the hair pretty unstable so nevermind! I hope you can work up the courage to ask her how she does her hair LisaB234!

I had a friend in high school who did her hair almost like what you describe. Start like you're going to do a ponytail, then wrap the tail around the elastic (not through it) until all the hair is wrapped, then pull the elastic loop behind the bun. It would look like the bun the OP described, and is very secure if your elastic is tight enough.

Aliora
January 6th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Ok I am looking on the web to try to find this thing and I ran across THIS (http://www.ponybun.com/)and had to share!

Looks cool, but I don't think all of my hair would fit. Maybe I could make my own though.