PDA

View Full Version : Pink Hair?

princess_ashton
July 14th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Okay, so I have decided since I finally made the switch to work from home that I'd love to have pink hair. But I don't think I wanna bleach it since I'd have to do that to all my roots every couple weeks, and my hair doesn't handle that well. (What brought me to lhc in the first place! LOL).

I really wanna use special effects atomic pink - it's a veggie dye and it's supposedly super long lasting. My hair is henna'd now. It's naturally medium brown.

If I use it unbleached it won't be pink, right? Do I have any other options? What if I mix it into my henna? Or maybe I should lighten with honey first? So confused.

Help!

Ohio Sky
July 14th, 2008, 10:56 AM
You could try natural lightening methods like honey, but it's not generally so effective that it will lighten your hair enough to give it that vibrant pink. It's always worth a try, though, you never know!!

Another option is to go to the salon and have just a few hightlights put in. Then you would get the vibrant pink without wrecking all of your hair, and the rest of the hair would just be a darker pink.

princess_ashton
July 14th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I wish I could go to a salon but I can't since my hair is henna'd. They won't touch it. Or they don't know anything about it. My hair turned green last time I went to a salon, ha ha. I laugh now but it was terrible.

Thanks for the advice. Hmm. Maybe worth a road trip.

Ohio Sky
July 14th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I mentioned a salon because the bleach products they use are generally less damaging than the DIY at home stff, but you could always go that route too. I have hennaed hair as well, and have used the at home highlight kits with no problem. You shouldn't experience any green unless you have indigo in your hair as well.

brok3nwings
July 14th, 2008, 11:04 AM
it deppends on how many layers of henna you have on your hair... if it is medium brown and you have henna it is very possible that it wont turn pink. I think it would have a different hue and reflexions.. why dont you try and do a strand test first?

Radulfr
July 14th, 2008, 11:32 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/%3Cimg%20src=%27http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-3/1302368/josiepre2.jpg%27%20width=263%20height=100%20%20%3E http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-3/1302368/josiepre2.jpg
Jane Wiedlin - formerly of the Go-Gos used to have green hair and apparently liked it.

akurah
July 14th, 2008, 11:38 AM
You won't get pink without bleaching it. Bleach and long hair tend to be incompatible, and bleach almost certainly will not be able to lift your henna enough to get pink.

Golden21
July 14th, 2008, 11:45 AM
You could buy fake hair that is blond and dye it pink and use them as highlights. A hair salon called Regis- they area all over- sells hot pink hair extensions that just clip in.

bex487
July 14th, 2008, 01:58 PM
What about tipping (where just the ends of your hair are dyed)? You could try bleaching and dying the ends to see if you even like the look. I like the pink clip-in idea, just in case you decide you don't like pink so much after all.

Keiera
July 14th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Your medium brown hennaed hair will not turn atomic pink without bleaching the heck out of it. I myself have medium brown hair, and have used that same brand of dye, but in a medium bright blue. I have a nice large chunk in the back of my head that's bleached, and when I colored that chunk with the blue, that chunk was the only thing with noticeable color. The blue did not even tint the brown.

Honey or lemon juice lightening will not get your hair anywhere near light enough for bright colors. Bleach is the only way to get it light enough to be atomic. Some people's hair can take bleach like a champ (that chunk in the back of my head has been bleached fully 4 times to get it to a light blondish-white, and has no more damage than the rest of my virgin hair), some people have hair that will break and snap after 10 minutes of processing. I wouldn't bleach over henna, though.

Medievalhair
July 14th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Have you tried manic panic?

Fee
July 14th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Have you tried manic panic?

I also wanted to suggest the manic panic hair dyes, they're really good, I haven't used them myself, but my friend used green and it turned out great, but she did have darkish blonde hair, I reckon it's worth a try, good luck!

mellie
July 14th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I don't think the henna will lift enough for pink to show up very well.

However, you might be able to do what Bex487 suggested, and just do the tips. That way you can bleach the ends to kingdom come, but the rest of your hair will still be safe and healthy! :-)

detritus
July 14th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I've always gotten much better color with Special Effects than Manic Panic (and I used to be a bit of an aficionado when it came to those things). You won't get atomic pink without bleaching, but you may be able to get a pinkish tone, maybe kind of mulberry colored. Might be worth a shot... if you don't like it the color should fade away in a few weeks.

Riot Crrl
July 14th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I've always gotten much better color with Special Effects than Manic Panic (and I used to be a bit of an aficionado when it came to those things). You won't get atomic pink without bleaching, but you may be able to get a pinkish tone, maybe kind of mulberry colored. Might be worth a shot... if you don't like it the color should fade away in a few weeks.

Agreed, Special Effects > Manic Panic.

And also the part that it probably won't make the result you want without bleaching. If only ever BAQ has been used, it should be OK to apply bleach, but the problem is it simply might not do anything to the henna. To confound matters further, it might be more likely to overprocess hennaed hair, because the henna doesn't look like it's going anywhere.

Strand test everything, and thoroughly check the condition of your strands, as in this post (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7909&highlight=bleach).

NurseMama
July 14th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I have also had better results with Special Effects over Manic Panic.

Pink will just not show up on dark brown hair. You are going to have to lighten first. Have you thought about bleaching just some underneath sections and then you could have pink peeping through as your hair moved. Less upkeep that way and if the bleach fries your hair, the damage will be contained a bit.

jel
July 15th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Is it pale pink or bright pink?

If the latter, do a couple of strand tests (on the hair on your head) and you may be surprised. :flower:

vampodrama
July 15th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I used to have bright, fuchsia pink hair, and while it looked great, it took helluva lot of bleaching for it to work... bright dyes do not work without manic bleaching.

and bleaching henna? I'm not sure you'd really want to go there :poot: