PDA

View Full Version : No Hairtie half-up styles?

cooklaezo13
January 6th, 2012, 07:58 AM
I'm wondering about hair safe styles for wearing chin-length hair half-up? I love wearing my hair this way because it gets the hair up and out of my face and out of the way. What I don't like is broken hairs at the place where I put the hair tie. Any suggestions?

Madora
January 6th, 2012, 08:03 AM
The only thing I can think of is an ouchless barrette made by Goody (avalable at Target)..or a Flexi 8.

molly_grue
January 6th, 2012, 08:04 AM
How about bobby pins. You could divide your hair in half (wherever your part is) and then pull back and then twist the sections and secure with a bobby pin.
I don't know if I'm explaining that well, but I used to do it often when I had shorter hair.

Amazinggrace
January 6th, 2012, 08:09 AM
mini flex-8's, decorative bobby pins, snap clips

Amazinggrace
January 6th, 2012, 08:18 AM
You could also do a waterfall braid, or twist front hairstyle with a safe elastic at the bottom. If your hair is to short when using elastics you can use the tiny clear elastics, if you put a piece fo ribbion around your hair first then the elastic on top.

cooklaezo13
January 6th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Thanks everyone, I just ordered an extra-small flexi-8 and I'm excited to try it out :)

PixxieStix
January 6th, 2012, 08:42 AM
I have a sparkly alligator clip (think ficcarre type clip, only straighter) that I used just for that purpose while my hair was growing to a little past shoulder. You can see mine in my album, there's a picture of it. Worked great, never fell out either or had to be re-adjusted throughout the day. Still use and love it. Claw clips could be another good option.

WaitingSoLong
January 6th, 2012, 09:18 AM
It seems to be in style here to use bobby pins instead of a barette, just cross them like an X in the back, one from each side on the same section of hair. I have tried this out and it does hold but tends to slip after awhile. Somewhere I saw bobby pins that were "no slip", some kind of silicone coating on them.

kittensoupnrice
January 6th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I second the flexi-8.

I also like doing half french braids. Encorporate just the top half of your hair, and finish with a long braid. You can vary how long the tassle is to keep moving the elastic around to avoid a damage spot.

BrightEyes
January 6th, 2012, 09:21 AM
I love my xs flex-8 clips for doing halfups! I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

If the top section of your hair is long enough, you might be able to make a twist (like the beginning of a cinnabun). I do this and secure it with a xs flexi-8 clip. Or I will use Grahtoe Studio's micro mini forks or Mei Fa shortie hairsticks. I have pictures in my album if you care to look. My hair is shoulder length in the pics but I can do this when my hair is shorter too. It just depends on how layered your hair is.

cooklaezo13
January 6th, 2012, 09:42 AM
I love my xs flex-8 clips for doing halfups! I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

If the top section of your hair is long enough, you might be able to make a twist (like the beginning of a cinnabun). I do this and secure it with a xs flexi-8 clip. Or I will use Grahtoe Studio's micro mini forks or Mei Fa shortie hairsticks. I have pictures in my album if you care to look. My hair is shoulder length in the pics but I can do this when my hair is shorter too. It just depends on how layered your hair is.

Thanks for the suggestion BrightEyes, I will try this when I get my flexi-8.

molly_grue
January 6th, 2012, 09:46 AM
also if your bangs/front of hair are long enough you could french braid that part. I do that now to keep hair off my face.

BrightEyes
January 6th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the suggestion BrightEyes, I will try this when I get my flexi-8.

You're very welcome:)

lunalocks
January 6th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I use a spin pin to secure a little bun. They make short ones. You might have just enough hair to do this...

MandyBeth
January 6th, 2012, 11:42 AM
You are welcome to look at my old pictures in my albums if that helps at all. I could do a few stick buns with partial amounts of hair. Since your hair is coarser than my slithery cat fine hair, you can probably do most of what I could do that I had to use a tie to hold it still without the tie.

Justy
January 6th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Goody has come out with a tiny 5-prong fork they call a "twisty comb" I have been using it for half-up styles and find it holds really well. I can do a tiny cinna-bun or just a twist and it holds all day, much better than the barrettes that ate my hair. It's pretty small, only 2.75" long and just under 2.5" functional length, but with 5 prongs it holds very well.

cooklaezo13
January 9th, 2012, 12:18 PM
I got my flexi-8 today and I love it, although it is a little small and I could just barely get my hair into a half-up using it. I will get a larger size next time. Here's a pic. This is my hair half-up with the extra small flexi-8.
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n573/cooklaezo13/th_flexi_8_2.jpg (http://s1140.photobucket.com/albums/n573/cooklaezo13/?action=view&current=flexi_8_2.jpg)

AnqeIicDemise
January 9th, 2012, 12:21 PM
barettes, mini claw clips, flexi 8s and headbands. Oh and scarves. That's what I lived off of when my hair was that short. :D

wicked kisses
January 9th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I have a similar problem with breakage if I use a 'hair tie' there. Fine fine hair... what works best if I want that sort of style, is to french braid the crown, and put the hair tie at the end. Suggest using some kind of texturizer.

blondie9912
January 9th, 2012, 02:20 PM
It seems to be in style here to use bobby pins instead of a barette, just cross them like an X in the back, one from each side on the same section of hair. I have tried this out and it does hold but tends to slip after awhile. Somewhere I saw bobby pins that were "no slip", some kind of silicone coating on them.

Girls at school do this all the time, it looks cute :)