PDA

View Full Version : Rhassoul clay=sticky hair?

Cleopatra18
January 6th, 2012, 05:28 AM
Hi everyone, I need some help using rhassoul clay. I have been using it to replace shampoo for the past 3 months or so and my hair still haven't adjusted to its effects.
at the begining, my hair would feel all sticky and waxy. I thought it was temporary as it is with any new routine. I was using it exclusively without any conditioner afterwars, or leave in. my hair when it's completely dry would feel actually strong and moisturised. also, I had problem areas in my crown which wouldn't hold moisture at all and I found a drastic improvement in these parts using rhassoul clay. My curls were much more defined as well. however, once my hair was bunned it would turn into ugly dreads that are SO hard to unwind. also, despite that the condition of the strands were better, my hair was extremly hard to manage (I LITERALLY couldn't/still cant get a comb through my hair) but I comprimised with finger detangling to remove shed hairs and it worked just fine.
however, as it was getting colder and colder, I needed to condition and was just expecting the stickiness to go away at some point, but it won't. I don't know what I am doing wrong.
also, I want to know if long term use of rhassoul can dry out the hair or increase the amount of split ends?
notes:
1. my hair is always pre-oiled before using rhassoul (its great for washing out oil completely, the stickiness is not oil residue)
2. my mix is usually just clay + water (sometimes i added glycerin or oil, I also tried adding conditioner which made the application easier but not much improvement with hair)
3. hair is not damaged in any way

Amber_Maiden
January 6th, 2012, 06:10 AM
Well, you should have already detoxed... In which case I would probably say it might not be working for you.

rock007junkie
January 6th, 2012, 06:25 AM
Try mixing your clay with either aloe vera juice or ACV. I think because the clay is an alkaline by itself it needs an acid to balance it out. I get better results when I mix it with one of these two.

JaneinMarch
January 6th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I've had issues with rhassoul when I had hard water. The first time was when I move to a different apartment (in the U.S.), and the second time was when I moved to Abu Dhabi. How is your tap water in Egypt?

After moving apartments I had to buy a water filter and that helped a great deal.

Cleopatra18
January 6th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I've had issues with rhassoul when I had hard water. The first time was when I move to a different apartment (in the U.S.), and the second time was when I moved to Abu Dhabi. How is your tap water in Egypt?

After moving apartments I had to buy a water filter and that helped a great deal.
I don't know really. I never had trouble with it before so I guess it's ok.
maybe the rhassoul and conditioner are working against each other? because i use herbal essence which is full of cones and such?

JaneinMarch
January 6th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I'm not sure about the use of conditioner in conjunction with the rhassoul. I prepoo with coconut oil (maybe a tsp) before using something like rhassoul and I usually put a little extra oil on afterwards(something like 4 or 5 drops).

When my hair was longer and I used it more often, I noticed it gave my hair more slip in the shower while detangling. Does your hair feel like this when you use it? I have also mentioned before that I think many people use too much at once for a regular wash. I never needed more than a teaspoon for a wash on shoulder length hair, and I would rinse for two days, then wash again. How much do you use at a time?

Cleopatra18
January 6th, 2012, 04:00 PM
I'm not sure about the use of conditioner in conjunction with the rhassoul. I prepoo with coconut oil (maybe a tsp) before using something like rhassoul and I usually put a little extra oil on afterwards(something like 4 or 5 drops).

When my hair was longer and I used it more often, I noticed it gave my hair more slip in the shower while detangling. Does your hair feel like this when you use it? I have also mentioned before that I think many people use too much at once for a regular wash. I never needed more than a teaspoon for a wash on shoulder length hair, and I would rinse for two days, then wash again. How much do you use at a time?
oh no, no slip at all. I don't want to think about combing my hair when wet or dry. it feels coated even when it's wet. I think I use somewhere between 1-2 tbsp of rhassoul and dilute it in a 100ml bottle with water. I use it about twice aweek.
I'm starting to think that maybe it just doesn't work with my hair, which really sucks i had high hopes for it =/

JaneinMarch
January 6th, 2012, 04:23 PM
I'm sorry it's not working for you; I hope you find something better soon. Sometimes it depends on the pH level a person's hair needs. Some can't use bentonite because it has a pH of around 8 and is too alkaline. I've never used bentonite, but that info about the high pH led me to believe that rhassoul, which has a pH closer to 6, would be better for my hair.

Yosha
January 7th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Since I've only used rhassoul clay once (I found it too much work lol) I cannot really tell from experience, but before I used it I read a lot on how to use it. On (one of) the Dutch forums, I remember reading it didn't do well with conditioner after washing with rhassoul, since rhassoul plus conditioner would give some sort of reaction with bad results. This may explain the recent results you are having, though not the results when you weren't using conditioner (unless that was because of an adjustment stage or something, could be there was still some cones in your hair?). Oiling should be ok though. And maybe you could experiment with using a diluted acidic rinse (like vinegar) afterwards. If this still doesn't work for your hair, then you could use it for your skin (works very well for mine!) :D