PDA

View Full Version : Advice re trim please

Kapri
January 6th, 2012, 04:46 AM
I still have no pics but I think you ladies may be able to help on this basic question. I am growing out my layers and have a collar length, slightly angled blunt cut, long bob.

My fine, fragile hair was last cut 4 months ago. I like the current length. However, I don't want the condition to get bad.

Do you ladies think, as a rule, that fine fragile hair is best trimmed at regular intervals. I don't want the fairy-tale ends look. I want it to look thick and in the best possible condition.

I am thinking of having an inch off the length.

NB. I plan to go to a George Michael salon but after I have had the hair spruced up because I do want the layers trimming so that it grows down in the same style etc I like the style it is in and I don't think the GM salon would be interested in replicating that style.

Madora
January 6th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I still have no pics but I think you ladies may be able to help on this basic question. I am growing out my layers and have a collar length, slightly angled blunt cut, long bob.

My fine, fragile hair was last cut 4 months ago. I like the current length. However, I don't want the condition to get bad.

Do you ladies think, as a rule, that fine fragile hair is best trimmed at regular intervals. I don't want the fairy-tale ends look. I want it to look thick and in the best possible condition.

NB. I plan to go to a George Michael salon but after I have had the hair spruced up because I do want the layers trimming so that it grows down in the same style etc I like the style it is in and I don't think the GM salon would be interested in replicating that style.

The GM salon will trim your hair but will not cut layers.

After you've had the trim, then you can just keep the ends nice and thick by trimming it slightly every 3 months or so (depending on how fast your hair grows).

jojo
January 6th, 2012, 10:40 AM
I too have baby fone hair and yes I do find regular trims are necessary. however when I say trims I mean no more than 1/2" unless you have a lot of damage or thinness to the ends. I trimmed most of my growth off last year to try and combat thin ends but I dont have any regrets in doing this.

Is there any particular reason you are having an inch off? and have you looked into self trimming? I use a creaclip to trim mine or theres Fayes cutting method, which I have used since joining here when I was 18". If you practiced this, you could take as little as this ---> _ a month off, we call this dusting. You don't need huge amounts off if your hairs not damaged.

Ive gone through periods where ive dusted monthly, done trims every 8weeks and at the moment im going to see if i can hold back to 2x a year trims but time will tell!

Good luck and welcome to LHC!

jacqueline101
January 6th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Welcome to the forum. I think trims are vital for my hair.

spidermom
January 6th, 2012, 01:46 PM
My hair stays in much better condition with regular small trims, which kind of puzzles me because when I S&D for damaged ends, the damage is usually up in my length and not on the longest ends. ???

Kapri
January 6th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Thank you ladies!

Madora,

Thank you! Now, the reason I am not going down that route is that I really like the shape that my current hairdresser cuts it into and I would like that shape retained for the moment. It's a slightly angled very long bob. Having had it cut at my normal salon I then plan to go to the GM salon for the next few trims. I hope that makes sense.

Tabitha (on the GM philosophy thread) was saying that Neil will trim original layers just to deal with damage which is great but he doesn't do fringes and wouldn't recreate the current shape (I don't think so anyway).

When I have had the shape 'refreshed' I plan to the GM salon for small trims and hair care advice etc

It may be of course that I am scared of offending my lovely original hairdresser!! I may be letting myself into this whole thing gradually!

Kapri
January 6th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Hi Jojo,

The reason I'm going for an inch is to a) save money because I'm not sure how good the hair will look beyond collar bone length and don't want to have to have another trim too soon b) give the layers a chance to catch up.

That said, I could just go for half an inch!

I like your idea of self-trimming and will check out the information you sent. I wouldn't do it though until my layers have grown further down.

Thank you! I really like the sound of 'dusting'. I also plan to go to the London Long hair salon for an SandD trim. But I want my style cut back in for the moment.

Kapri
January 6th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Hi back Jaqueline. Good to hear from a trimmer!

Spidermom you too..I wonder why your damage is further up.... Hmmmmm. That is really interesting... Have you thought why that might be?

ALongSummerWind
January 6th, 2012, 02:34 PM

Maybe try the search and destroy method?