PDA

View Full Version : Historical hair washing

the.fee.fairy
January 5th, 2012, 10:39 PM
When i'm in the UK in the summer, I'm a member of the Medieval Siege Society.

At the end of August, there's a 5 day event, and at some time during that event, I'd like to wash my hair!!

Does anyone have any historical recipes I can use?

Thanks in advance.

Aliped
January 5th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Not sure, but is Castille soap medieval?

teela1978
January 5th, 2012, 10:51 PM
5 days? Eh, just put it up in braids and leave it be :)

ladonna
January 5th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Tea and ale rinsed

the.fee.fairy
January 5th, 2012, 11:47 PM
I would do that normally, but because i have to wear a coif, and I cook over the fire, my head itches after 3, and then i spend the last 2 days scratching like i have (completely authentic...) lice.

I'm planning to make soap this year, but it won't be cured after 3 days.

It would also be nice to be able to stock our tent with some stuff to show the public what people would have used.

I'll look into castile soap. Thanks for the input!

Tea and Ale could be a winner, I can't remember if we had tea in our time period. I'll have to look it up.

Thanks.

Rosethorn
January 5th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Did they use eggs?

Amazinggrace
January 6th, 2012, 12:28 AM
This old thread may help you: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68214

the.fee.fairy
January 6th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Thank you for the link!

Eggs were around, they had eggs to eat. The only time i tried egg washing it was a disaster, my hair didn't like it much. I'll try it again a few times, maybe adding different oils and stuff and see if i can get it to work.

GlennaGirl
January 6th, 2012, 12:53 AM
I would be surprised at the tea and ale thing as these would be more expensive to waste on hair than just water.

If *no* water was around I don't think the average person in medieval times (granted that's a pretty long stretch of time we're talking about, with many trends) would waste tea and ale, that they could drink in the absence of water, on hair. I'm sure they would just put it up and not wash it in such a case.

That said, I'm off to read the other thread...I love history.

darklion
January 6th, 2012, 01:04 AM
Let's also remember that bathing was rather an unpopular practice at the time in many areas. They would bathe only a couple times a year.
Let's remember the quote attributed to Queen Elizabeth 1, she took a bath four times a year whether she needed it or not.
I doubt that they did more than WO washes for the most part.

Lucky
January 6th, 2012, 03:16 AM
I don't know about how historically accurate it would be, but would a shampoo bar be a possibility?

Siiri
January 6th, 2012, 05:39 AM
They did have soap back then, but it was a luxury product so not anyone could afford it. With beer rinses, you'd want to check out which types of beers (lager, ale etc.) they had in the middle ages, because some of the manufacturing techniques didn't exist back then. If you want historical accuracy, I wouldn't use tea rinses, because it would have been imported from Asia and too expensive to rinse your hair with.

You could use herbal rinses from local plants (like nettle). How common bathing was, depends really on the area and social standing, there were even common baths and saunas around, but not everyone used them. So I guess it's really up to what type of character you are playing.

Edit: What about soapwort?

Panth
January 6th, 2012, 05:41 AM
Perhaps you could give the dates you are working within for your society? 'Medieval' is, of course, quite a long time with lots of changes and innovations between the start and the finish.

As to these:

Not sure, but is Castille soap medieval?

I believe Castille soap (or similar) is "medieval". My basis for that is that I believe I've seen Sally Pointer (medieval reenactor and researcher in historical toiletries and makeup) make soap balls from Castille soap at a 1350s event. Whether or not Castille soap is correct for her particular date, locale and social class is, of course, another question.

Let's also remember that bathing was rather an unpopular practice at the time in many areas. They would bathe only a couple times a year.
Let's remember the quote attributed to Queen Elizabeth 1, she took a bath four times a year whether she needed it or not.

This is a common mistake. Bathing (as in, taking baths - not as in washing at all) was very much out of fashion in the Tudor and Elizabethan eras. There are a variety of theorised reasons for this, including the Black Death and other subsequent plagues (due to the fear of miasmas and the absorption of sickness through the skin). Another likely contributing factor is that the numerous public bath houses that were around had been increasingly associated with prostitution and other vices (drinking, gambling, etc.).

People often assume that because the Tudors didn't bathe the "more primitive" people of the medieval era also didn't bathe (or bathed even less). This is completely false. There was, in fact, a thriving bathing culture (though, it has to be said, mostly among men). Most towns in Western Europe (even small ones) had public bath-houses. These were mostly frequented by men, who would bathe naked and communally, sometimes even playing cards or dice or taking a meal as they soaked.

A good place to start researching would be the wonderful Karen Larsdatter's website, specifically the section on baths (http://www.larsdatter.com/baths.htm). Another good source would be Sally Pointer's website (http://sallypointer.com/) (also, don't be afraid to email her with specific questions - she is usually incredibly helpful).

However, do remember that female hair was seen as intensely sexual. So, if you do decide to wash your hair whilst in costume as some sort of display it would be best to explain that this is not something that anyone (or certainly anyone male except maybe a husband or father) would ever see you do.

If your events are anything like the ones I go to, I suspect one of your main issues is not going to be what soap to use or whatever, but simply being able to heat enough water authentically (i.e. over wood fires).

Amber_Maiden
January 6th, 2012, 06:09 AM
I also second the tea rinse or ale rinse.

rusika1
January 6th, 2012, 06:19 AM
I would do that normally, but because i have to wear a coif, and I cook over the fire, my head itches after 3, and then i spend the last 2 days scratching like i have (completely authentic...) lice.

I'm planning to make soap this year, but it won't be cured after 3 days.

It would also be nice to be able to stock our tent with some stuff to show the public what people would have used.

I'll look into castile soap. Thanks for the input!

Tea and Ale could be a winner, I can't remember if we had tea in our time period. I'll have to look it up.

Thanks.

Nope, tea 'arrived' MUCH later.

ETA: Try this site. (http://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga/SCA/Hair.html)

ArienEllariel
January 6th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Nope, tea 'arrived' MUCH later.

ETA: Try this site. (http://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga/SCA/Hair.html)

I found this quote quite interesting: "Unction to grow and perfume the hair
Whoever desires to have their hair grow a lot and to make the head smell very good, should get used to combing the hair, with vulture grease, in the sun." ( de Mugeres )

I remember watching something on either Animal Planet or Discovery Channel where the myth that vultures are smelly creatures was debunked. The man actually described their smell as "like clean laundry". If this quote is referring to grease found on the bird (rather than grease from cooking it- and really, who wants to cook a vulture?), realistically, it wouldn't have been a bad idea.

Nae
January 6th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Mmmm vulture. My favorite lol.

clairenewcastle
January 6th, 2012, 01:22 PM
I've used both nettle tea and elderflower tea to wash my hair successfully in the past.
Both can be left in the hair if you don't have a sufficient supply of water to rinse them out.

For that reason I wouldn't suggest using beer or ale to wash your hair unless you've access to plenty of running water.

ArienEllariel
January 6th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Mmmm vulture. My favorite lol.

:yumm: Vulture Stew maybe? :stirpot:

:laugh:

piffyanne
January 6th, 2012, 11:24 PM
How do I get my hands on vulture fat? I've always wanted hair that smelled like clean laundry! (I'm serious, too. Wow...)

Aliped
January 7th, 2012, 12:35 AM
herbs were popular around the time of the plague as was bathing. This link suggests Castile soap and herbs for the middle ages...
http://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga/herbs/scents.html#Soaps

Amazinggrace
January 7th, 2012, 12:40 AM
I found a couple of nettle washing methods to share:

Nettle Hair Wash: Add a double handful of fresh or dried nettle to 1 quart water, cover, and slowly bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand 10-15 minutes

Nettle Rinse and Conditioner
Take a big handful of nettles and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Strain and allow to cool. Bottle and keep the liquid in a cool place (e.g. in the fridge). Use this liquid as a final rinse after washing your hair. Don't wash out, but rather comb it out once the hair is dry.

rusika1
January 7th, 2012, 09:20 AM
I found this quote quite interesting: "Unction to grow and perfume the hair
Whoever desires to have their hair grow a lot and to make the head smell very good, should get used to combing the hair, with vulture grease, in the sun." ( de Mugeres )

I remember watching something on either Animal Planet or Discovery Channel where the myth that vultures are smelly creatures was debunked. The man actually described their smell as "like clean laundry". If this quote is referring to grease found on the bird (rather than grease from cooking it- and really, who wants to cook a vulture?), realistically, it wouldn't have been a bad idea.

Don't forget the lizards!

I doubt that valuable and/or expensive foodstuffs (e.g. eggs, ale) would be commonly used externally.

Why not use your uncured soap? It's not out of period, and would certainly be one of the easier options available to you. Or maybe you can get your hands on some dried soapwort.

Another thing you need to consider is the availability of water. Do you have to haul your own? How far?

Of course, if this is a battle reenactment society, the most authentic thing you can do is leave it unwashed and itchy for a week, 'clean hair' is not high on the list of battlefield necessities. Just comb it really thoroughly every day. Do it at night in secret if you're worried about the authenticity police catching you. If anyone catches you tell them you're a Viking ;).

ETA: Duh, I forgot to include this interesting article on soapmaking (http://www.alcasoft.com/soapfact/history.html)

luvnaz
January 7th, 2012, 10:18 AM
This is an interesting thread. I think an herbal wash with castile soap would be the best? Or just WO with the herbs to make the hair smell nice! Lavender or rosemary, nettle or comfrey...comfrey helps decrease my scalp itch tremendously! It's native to Europe and wasn't brought to the Americas until the 17th century.

I read an article that medieval peasants would be fully bathed twice in their lifetime. Once when they were born and again when they died!

Those were the good olde days ;)

irishlady
January 7th, 2012, 01:00 PM
As other have said, it largely depends on the time period and culture/people you're portraying.

For instance, the Celts were said to have invented soap, and had it long before the Romans did. I'd imagine they probably used ash mixed with local herbs. I know that mint, seaweed, lavender, nettle and honey were used...maybe milk too. They also used lime to bleach their hair, and the women used moss for "lady things" because of it's absorbancy and anti-septic properties. The Celts took pride in their appearance and the upper classes wore hair ornaments. The Irish Celts at least were quite clean, and had at least one hot bath a day, and washing in between that too.

The Vikings were also known for their clean habits contrary to popular belief.

I'd say a safe bet would probably be local herbs, the ones I mentioned above and maybe Castille soap as suggested, but try ash from burnt wood if you can get hold of some.

Rose and Lavender oils were used in skincare and possibly haircare in the Middle Ages, these were brought back from the Middle East during the Crusades.

Also, saying that tea rinses were not available yet is not neccesarily true. It does not mean tea literally from the tea plant, which would not have been available yet, but "tea" made from other sources eg honey or nettle, or rose petals. I have made "tea" from rose petals before :p

I know that the Celts also drank some sort of ale made from honey and nectar...maybe this was used in skin/haircare too but I have no idea.

Panth
January 7th, 2012, 02:52 PM
The Irish Celts at least were quite clean, and had at least one hot bath a day, and washing in between that too.

It'd be interesting to see your sources for that one. Personally, I very much doubt it.

Never mind the requirement of owning a tub/barrel/whatever large enough for bathing, that would also require a serious amount of hot water, even if it were only one person bathing. In 14th Century England, cauldrons were still valuable enough to be left in peasants' wills, so I'm guessing that the Irish Celts would also regard cauldrons and other cooking vessels as valuable - and thus could likely not afford huge ones. Have you ever tried to heat water using just wood and a fire pit? I can assure you, it's exceedingly hard work, moreso if you have to do it repeatedly to fill a large vessel like a bath. Heating enough water to bathe the entire family daily would likely take the better part of the day - it's hardly something that even the richest Celt would be able to indulge in!

moon2dove
January 7th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Found this,

http://rosaliegilbert.com/cleanliness.html

irishlady
January 7th, 2012, 04:48 PM
It'd be interesting to see your sources for that one. Personally, I very much doubt it.

Never mind the requirement of owning a tub/barrel/whatever large enough for bathing, that would also require a serious amount of hot water, even if it were only one person bathing. In 14th Century England, cauldrons were still valuable enough to be left in peasants' wills, so I'm guessing that the Irish Celts would also regard cauldrons and other cooking vessels as valuable - and thus could likely not afford huge ones. Have you ever tried to heat water using just wood and a fire pit? I can assure you, it's exceedingly hard work, moreso if you have to do it repeatedly to fill a large vessel like a bath. Heating enough water to bathe the entire family daily would likely take the better part of the day - it's hardly something that even the richest Celt would be able to indulge in!

Read lots of university history papers and books, and museums here.

A bath is not necesarily sitting in a tub, it could also be washing the body using a rag and a basin of water...just saying.

AnimaSola3o4
January 7th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Ask your fellow members what they plan on doing?

Nae
January 7th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Ask your fellow members what they plan on doing?

Aww, look at you being all practical and stuff. :D

ellisbell
January 7th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Actually that is an urban legend, people in the medieval period were actually rather clean and would bathe regularly (http://www.traditioninaction.org/History/A_005_Myths1500s.html). Of course people would not wash their hair or bathe every day but it was never a yearly ritual according to primary sources and historians.

ellisbell
January 7th, 2012, 10:03 PM
I also found another good article discussing hygiene in the Tudor era with citations (as someone upthread stated they did not bathe). Castile soap was used but it was made with olive oil. I am not an expert on contemporary castile soap but it sounds a lot better for the hair if it is made out of olive oil, does anyone know if you can still find it made like that?

One text cited gives a nice washing water recipe:

sage, marjoram, camomile, rosemary and orange peel.

If you are playing someone of noble birth washing your hair with castile soap and a herb wash would totally be in character.

I really think the differences in hygiene are very interesting/complex. For instance in the Tudor period linens would be changed every day (sometimes more) and they would probably think we would be disgusting for not washing our bed sheets everyday, while we think they are disgusting for a perceived lack of bathing (though like I said this is largely a myth that is not backed up by historical fact).

piffyanne
January 8th, 2012, 01:25 AM
I understand that whenever Queen Elizabeth went "on progress", she brought her bathtub with her, so I suppose it's not inconceivable she used it (on the other hand, it WOULD be just like her to bring it even if she didn't mean to use it. . . Oh, Lizzie! ;))

the.fee.fairy
January 8th, 2012, 03:46 AM
Wow! So many helpful replies. Thank you.

We are in the 15th Century.

I am the only woman in our company (we are Mercenary Archers - The Companie of the Silver Arrow) with hair past shoulder. The rest of them tend to just bunch it in a coif. Some people also don't stay onsite and use the nice hot showers in their hotel rooms...

However, my sister and I do stay onsite (admittedly in a lovely modern tent).

I don't want to use the uncured soap because i am using lye, and if it's not cured it can burn, and i don't want to burn my lovely hair off :)

I am very interested in those nettle suggestions. I'll be giving them a go.

Thank you for all your help Lovely Longhairs! The citations are really useful too, just in case anyone asks for information.

Thanks again.

Bene
January 8th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Actually that is an urban legend, people in the medieval period were actually rather clean and would bathe regularly (http://www.traditioninaction.org/History/A_005_Myths1500s.html). Of course people would not wash their hair or bathe every day but it was never a yearly ritual according to primary sources and historians.

This. Had that exact site pulled up to link, glad I read through the rest of this thread :laugh:

ArienEllariel
January 8th, 2012, 05:45 AM
This. Had that exact site pulled up to link, glad I read through the rest of this thread :laugh:

Very interesting. I learned a few new things from reading the link.

ellisbell
January 8th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Whoops forgot to include the link to the tudor hygiene site (http://onthetudortrail.com/Blog/resources/life-in-tudor-england/tudor-hygiene-part-1-bathing/). If you are in the 15th century these recipes should work.

AnimaSola3o4
January 8th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Aww, look at you being all practical and stuff. :D

:spitting:Hahaha. That made my night. I know, I try to be logical and practical, but then again, we wouldn't have this great conversation in this thread if we were all that way!

FrozenBritannia
January 8th, 2012, 11:36 PM
What a fascinating idea... How did they not get stung by the nettle i wonder?

darklion
January 9th, 2012, 12:57 AM
I get stuck in my modern version of a "bath".... lovely hot soapy water to lounge in. A shower of 10 to 20 minutes of delightful warm water. These obviously didn't exist in Europe outside of areas with hot springs.
A bath from a bowl is a perfectly acceptable way to stay clean. It's easy to get overly focused on modern comparisons (as I did). All I can say is OOPS, sorry.