PDA

View Full Version : Oiling Hair Styles?

Emaebe
January 5th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Hey everyone,

I was wondering are there any hair styles that would allow you to say go to work (I work night audit at a hotel so I see like 10 people total at night) that would allow me to put in coconut oil in my hair braid it up and then go to work-maybe with a scarf?- and the only thing people would notice is that my hair is extra shiny? (I've mostly been using olive oil and castor oil but I figure the smell isn't as nice as coconut) I mean everytime I wake up with oil in my hair it just seems extra shiny and a slightly more intense color if that makes sense at all (I have blonde hair) and I actually don't mind the look. I especially think it would look pretty good in french braids. Any ideas/tutorials? Dos or don'ts?

Also, I work as a dog walker during the day. And I was thinking that I could probably put oil on my hair, braid it, and then put it under a hat or scarf while I walked the dogs. I just live in a super dry clime (usually we get buckets of snow during the winter but it's just been extra dry) so the oil is a huge relief for my hair. Any suggestions, styles, different/less noticeable oils, etc would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

akilina
January 5th, 2012, 10:33 PM
idk... i probably would not go to work with my scalp oiled...but i do oil my length and bun it. no one even knows : ))

Darkessa
January 5th, 2012, 10:49 PM
I would say, try just french braiding it. Simple as that.
I find when i french braid it (Primarily Dutch) I cant notice the super oilyness, so it seems to be perfect!
OR
Alternatively to braiding, you could cinnamon bun it and wear a scarf or hat!

allio21
January 5th, 2012, 10:51 PM
I usually french braid it tight and if its really drenched in oil I will wear a hat.

Emaebe
January 5th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Thanks you! I just wanted to get opinions because it is my job, but I just sit at a desk and do homework and check in like 3 people (or walk dogs and only see people who aren't interested in my hair or me lol). And if they just think I have super shiny hair and not dirty or greasy that if I did my hair nicely maybe people wouldn't notice or mind. I'm going to try the french braids because I can do really nice double french braids in like two seconds. Sorry if this was a silly question :)

ladonna
January 5th, 2012, 11:27 PM
I oil my hair and then scrunch it in to curls, I also use a protective petroletum product over the oil. I've never been so happy with my as I am now.

Diamond.Eyes
January 5th, 2012, 11:29 PM
I really think putting your hair into a rolled up sock bun would be a great way to disguise any oiliness, as your hair would be rolled up inside the bun and not visible. If you want a neat hairstyle that will hide your hair, I think this is the best option. You can make it even more fancy/cute/fashionable by adding a hair accessory. :)

If you don't know how to do a rolled sock bun, here is a Youtube tutorial on how to do so. It's basically the same idea as the video, just create it on the back of your head. I hope this helps! :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM

ETA: Here is a picture of a sock bun, just thought you might want to see what it looks like before you try it out. :)
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/421/sockbun.jpg

Emaebe
January 5th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Thank you so much you guys!! I will definitely give the braids and sock bun a try (and thank you for the tutorial- I need step by step instructions sometimes lol). I was going to try it out tonight, but I was a little worried since I only had about 1.5 hours to get ready and if it went horrific then I wouldn't have had time to wash the oil out... but tomorrow oily hair here I come! My hair feels SOOO good after the oil treatments, and so much more manageable and no frizz! :)

Diamond.Eyes
January 5th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Thank you so much you guys!! I will definitely give the braids and sock bun a try (and thank you for the tutorial- I need step by step instructions sometimes lol). I was going to try it out tonight, but I was a little worried since I only had about 1.5 hours to get ready and if it went horrific then I wouldn't have had time to wash the oil out... but tomorrow oily hair here I come! My hair feels SOOO good after the oil treatments, and so much more manageable and no frizz! :)
Of course, any time! :) And that's really great that the oil treatments are working out for you! I hope these hair styles work out for you as well! :flower:

blondie9912
January 5th, 2012, 11:48 PM
I washed out a heavy oiling today and was reminded why I love them so much! Mine was in for 3 days and today my hair feels awesome! I would recommend wearing your hair in two French braids, then pinning them to your hair (almost around your head, if that makes sense. Something like what Madora has in her avatar picture. I'm sure there's a name for this style, but I don't know it). Also, try a braided bun on top of your head :) I wouldn't suggest any 'loose/flowy' type hairstyles, because oiled hair just doesn't flow and have the same wispy look that dry hair does. Also, it might 'cling' together and have areas where there are gaps in your hair showing your scalp, which would obviously make it look greasy. In a pinch, you could do a slicked back Cinnabun.

MissDixie
January 16th, 2022, 05:18 PM
Since this was first posted, does anyone have any "new" oiled hairstyles that you wear out of the house?!?

Kathie
January 16th, 2022, 05:51 PM
idk... i probably would not go to work with my scalp oiled...but i do oil my length and bun it. no one even knows : ))

This is what I do too. All the oily goodness is hidden away. Plus the oil helps to hold some buns more securely.

JasminxCat
January 16th, 2022, 07:04 PM
If it's drenched in oil and I'm going out, I always wear it in a sleek bun sitting on the top of my head. You can't tell and if anything it looks like it was on purpose for a sleek look

MadelineMomo
January 17th, 2022, 04:50 PM
If it's drenched in oil and I'm going out, I always wear it in a sleek bun sitting on the top of my head. You can't tell and if anything it looks like it was on purpose for a sleek look

I second this.

Also, when I worked at a restaurant on the weekends, I found that oiled hair created a neater bun (like opposite of a messy bun) and one that stays up longer.

Shorty89
January 17th, 2022, 05:23 PM
I like heidi style braids, crown braids, or even a braided bun. I find braids can hide it easier than a straight bun.

MusicalSpoons
January 18th, 2022, 03:29 PM
Also, when I worked at a restaurant on the weekends, I found that oiled hair created a neater bun (like opposite of a messy bun) and one that stays up longer.

Yes, same here. Twisted buns especially.