PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question about braids

HollowHannah
July 14th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I french braid my hair nearly every day. I was just wondering is this a help or a hinder when trying to grow thicker, longer hair?

camara
July 14th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Hi HollowHannah!

Before I found the lhc, I wasnīt able to use any method to hold up a bun. So, I was limited to braids. Since I had problems making equal strands in a simple three strand braid, I french braided basically every day. I grew my hair from shoulder lenght to tailbone in a few years, and it would have been more if I hadnīt trimmed. French braids obviously did the trick for me.

Camara

Ohio Sky
July 14th, 2008, 10:25 AM
They're not quite as protective as some other updos, IMO. It leaves the tassle unprotected and the braid itself can catch on things and suffer other damage.

But, I know tons of people with long beautiful hair that never wear anything but braids. I think it depends on how easily damaged your hair is, among other things.

HollowHannah
July 14th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Cool, that's really good to know. I know a lot of girls at college (all chronic hair abusers) who tell me that braiding will cause tension alopecia because I'm pulling hair at the root but who am I gonna believe. People on LHC who know what they're talking about or people who put 200 degrees of heat on their hair everyday?

flaming bunny
July 14th, 2008, 12:04 PM
As long as you're not pulling really hard and your braid isn't realllllllly tight, I wouldn't have thought you would suffer from tension alopecia. If french braiding works for you then do it, I say! Good luck with your hair journey! :D

Periwinkle
July 14th, 2008, 12:25 PM
For me, at least, French braids are often a lot looser and put less strain on the scalp than even a ponytail.

I'd say that the only thing to really be wary of is getting braids caught in things and leaning on them, especially on chair backs.

Your hair is absolutely gorgeous, though, so you must be doing something right!

Curlsgirl
July 14th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I have always worn lots of French braids. Just don't pull them too tight. You'll be fine! I love them too!

LongForLife
July 14th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I love french braids too, and they seem less bothersome to my scalp than a ponytail. I can't even do a ponytail except for at the nape of the neck, or I get intense headaches and scalp pain. So I agree with everyone above. I think they are just fine. :) I like them better than other up-dos, only because I am not very good at other ones yet, and I never have to worry about a french braid falling out. (Besides my wispy layers that is.) :D

bex487
July 14th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I know that when I wore my hair in a high ponytail for a long time, I suffered breakage at the hairline because it was pulled way too tight. As long as your hair isn't being pulled SUPER taut, you're fine!

podo
July 14th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I've often wondered about this myself. I prefer to wear dutch braids, but worry about possible damage. I guess I'm mostly worried about the braid portion (below my neck) rubbing on stuff and pushing hairs out of the braid...and then breaking or splitting. Maybe I can work out something to put it up or keep it pinned to my head.

Riot Crrl
July 14th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Coil up the tail and stick a toy in it. Cute!

heidi w.
July 14th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Cool, that's really good to know. I know a lot of girls at college (all chronic hair abusers) who tell me that braiding will cause tension alopecia because I'm pulling hair at the root but who am I gonna believe. People on LHC who know what they're talking about or people who put 200 degrees of heat on their hair everyday?

I've seen what traction alopecia looks like. It's pretty obvious.

One time I was in a Mexican restaurant and this lady noticed my hair (it was down, an unusual casual public circumstance). She chatted me up a bit and come to discover she visits Long Hair Loom. I made a very polite mention that she might be pulling her hair too tight (you may ask how this is done with a complete stranger, suffice it to say, her hubs asked and I still was very polite about it). It was clear that she was pulling too tight.

There's a waitress in a restaurant I frequent and she has serious thinning caused by her pulling. And she can't be more than 25 or so....

Watch the pulling on scalp while braiding: this is mostly at the start off point. Secondly watch the tension of the weaving itself, not too tight. Thirdly, watch the tension when you roll this braid up into an updo (if you do that). And move the coil up locus so you're not always sticking in a stick at the same place on your head.

Just some thoughts,
heidi w.

GlassEyes
July 14th, 2008, 08:55 PM
As long as you aren't pulling your hair so tightly your eyelids are now a new resident near your hairline, you won't get alopecia. XD

aprilmay
July 14th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Wear your hair how it is comfortable and then you will be happy with it and enjoy it as it grows.

mommy2one05
July 14th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Wear your hair how it is comfortable and then you will be happy with it and enjoy it as it grows.

I like that bit of advice!!

AnimaSola3o4
July 14th, 2008, 10:15 PM
You could try french braiding it, then tucking the tassle up into the braid. It should stay pretty well, or just stick a bobby pin onto the band at the end of the braid, and use that to hold it up underneath.

It would keep the tassle more protected, and keep your braid from swinging to much so it wouldnt get caught on anything.

Another idea is to fold the braid up and clip it to your head. Depending on how thick/long your hair is, fold it once or twice and hold it up with a ficcare type tool.

danacc
July 18th, 2008, 11:18 PM
As others have implied, traction alopecia occurs when the hair is pulled too tight. This condition can happen with any up-do.

At my current length, a French braid is well balanced. I leave the end of the braid unfastened, coil the braid loosely at the back of my head, and pin the coil with a Ficcare or Flexi-8. Sometimes I'll make a figure 8 instead of coiling. I use the single hair tool to keep it from unbraiding while holding the braid up above my neck. Sometimes I will tuck the ends under the French braid so that they are near the scalp. This can take some doing while leaving the coil looking nice, so sometimes I don't bother with it.

You can leave the tail down as long as you stay aware of it, and prevent it from unnecessary friction. I often leave an English braid hanging when I'm home. I tend to pull it forward over one shoulder so that it hangs in front rather than in back. I personally find it easier to keep it out of trouble that way.