PDA

View Full Version : Biotin use for hair growth

robey
January 5th, 2012, 07:11 PM
I was wondering how many of you have used or use Biotin? It is B7 and used for hair and nail growth. Who here has used it and how much faster did you see in growth or shedding?
:toast:

Cholera
January 5th, 2012, 07:16 PM
If you do a forum search for "biotin" you will find everything you'll ever need to know about it.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 5th, 2012, 07:18 PM
I did a long time ago, but it didn't do anything for my growth. In fact, castor oil did 100% better of a job than biotin did.
I think its because technically, someone only needs biotin, if its missing from your daily intake or if you have some sort of biotin deficiency.
Thats just what I think about it though. :)

robey
January 5th, 2012, 07:40 PM
I see articles on the interweb (my favorite term for the vast webby out there) of people using over 10,000 mcg a day of it.

Some state amazing results others claim nothing.

There is so much out there on Biotin, Monostat, etc. Biotin seems the most promising from my research. I am no doctor but have seen extreme increase in my own hair growth with just mild levels of Biotin added in my vitamins.
I am ever curious to know if anyone has great results at high levels, I know some have reported acne with high levels:(

I am thinking of adding more to my regiment :p

amantha
January 5th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I developed a bald spot from a scalp infection sometime in November. I decided to add another 600 mcg of Biotin to the 300 mcg my daily vitamin already contains (so that would be only 900 mcg a day) to make the hair grow back in faster. Within 2 weeks I had the worst cystic acne outbreak of my life all over my face. I'm still dealing with the scars from it.

So no, I would not recommend Biotin. Just a good daily multivitamin.

I do take MSM though but that's to lessen the massive shedding I was experiencing due to iron deficiency. As a nice side effect, it has helped clear up my skin a lot post Biotin breakout.

akilina
January 5th, 2012, 08:12 PM
I know its in my hair skin and nails supplement. but not too much, so im good with it. Ive taken biotin in the past and got awful headaches and huge zits so i quit. its not bothering me this time...but there isnt alot in it. my nails are AWESOME and my shedding is less. growth...i can see a change but id say that is from the supplement as a whole, and not just the biotin in it.
I definitely would not overdose yourself on biotin though

Nae
January 5th, 2012, 08:15 PM
The only time you are going to get results from biotin is if you are deficient in it. Almost nobody in the Western world is deficient in it as it is in many, many everyday foods, like bananas, beans, bread, cheese, fish. dairy products, peanut butter.....the list goes on and on.

Saying that it is good for hair and nails is a good way to sell it and, it IS good for hair and nails, if you are starving to death in a third world country somewhere. But really, some fish and peanut butter would do you better than some biotin pills if you are in bad enough shape to actually NEED the biotin.

The highest dose that is recommended is just what is in an everyday type multivitamin. Get a multi-vitamin, that will be good for you. Getting acne with it means you are overdosing and it isn't good for your body. So don't do it. It is a waste of money and it doesn't really help. Treating your hair carefully and having patience are really the key here.

Nice to see you on the boards by the way, I don't think I have welcomed you yet.

LaurelSpring
January 5th, 2012, 08:16 PM
I was regularly taking a hair skin and nail vitamin with biotin in it. I ran out and kept forgetting to get more. I experienced alot of shedding. I dont know if it was because I was use to getting it and when I didnt have it I shed but I can tell you that I am back to taking it now. I am also doing castor oil soaks and making sure my shower water isnt too hot just in case.

robey
January 5th, 2012, 11:21 PM
I developed a bald spot from a scalp infection sometime in November. I decided to add another 600 mcg of Biotin to the 300 mcg my daily vitamin already contains (so that would be only 900 mcg a day) to make the hair grow back in faster. Within 2 weeks I had the worst cystic acne outbreak of my life all over my face. I'm still dealing with the scars from it.

So no, I would not recommend Biotin. Just a good daily multivitamin.

I do take MSM though but that's to lessen the massive shedding I was experiencing due to iron deficiency. As a nice side effect, it has helped clear up my skin a lot post Biotin breakout.
I am so sorry to hear about your experience with it but glad you shared our story, I will be sure to monitor my dose now. Did you ever find out what caused your bald spot infection and any solutions? Anything that can boost hair growth is very interesting to me, well except for Monistat, terrible headache from that lol

robey
January 5th, 2012, 11:25 PM
The only time you are going to get results from biotin is if you are deficient in it. Almost nobody in the Western world is deficient in it as it is in many, many everyday foods, like bananas, beans, bread, cheese, fish. dairy products, peanut butter.....the list goes on and on.

Saying that it is good for hair and nails is a good way to sell it and, it IS good for hair and nails, if you are starving to death in a third world country somewhere. But really, some fish and peanut butter would do you better than some biotin pills if you are in bad enough shape to actually NEED the biotin.

The highest dose that is recommended is just what is in an everyday type multivitamin. Get a multi-vitamin, that will be good for you. Getting acne with it means you are overdosing and it isn't good for your body. So don't do it. It is a waste of money and it doesn't really help. Treating your hair carefully and having patience are really the key here.

Nice to see you on the boards by the way, I don't think I have welcomed you yet.
Thanks for the advise, and very much thanks for the welcome:) I am fairly new here and your my fist welcome-er:) Thanks:) How long have you been on LHC? Love your henna streak btw

amantha
January 6th, 2012, 12:48 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your experience with it but glad you shared our story, I will be sure to monitor my dose now. Did you ever find out what caused your bald spot infection and any solutions? Anything that can boost hair growth is very interesting to me, well except for Monistat, terrible headache from that lol

(TMI warning!) I think it was caused by an infected hair follicle that turned into a cystic zit. It hurt so bad I had to get my boyfriend to sterilize a pin and drain it. It took him like 30 mins to do that and I think the pressure he applied, and the inflammation that the infection caused to the tissue, made the follicles drop their hairs about a month later and left me with a bald spot about the size of a dime/nickel. However, it is starting to grow back and I have some short fuzz there now. :)

Honestly, I think the best thing you can do to boost your hair growth beyond a good diet, is a good daily multivitamin and probably some fish oil capsules. If your body can handle Biotin, awesome, but if you start seeing zits your body is giving you a sign that it's too much. I might also have had a bad experience with Biotin at a low dose because I tend to already eat a lot of foods with Biotin in them (like cheese!) so I probably get more than enough from my diet anyway.

Also, welcome to the LHC! :cheese:

Nae
January 6th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Thanks for the advise, and very much thanks for the welcome:) I am fairly new here and your my fist welcome-er:) Thanks:) How long have you been on LHC? Love your henna streak btw

Well thank you. You can tell right under a person's avatar when they joined. I have been here over 2 years now. When did THAT happen? This place is great.

I just see so many people super and mega dosing on biotin and it just isn't that good for them. Everything in moderation ya know?

Allychan
January 6th, 2012, 06:05 AM
Biotin is responsible for the creation of keratin in our bodies and can help hair and nails grow faster. It is most helpful in stopping hair from shedding. I have used it, but not in excessive doses like some do. I did find that taking it daily caused zits (I'm 38) so I started taking it only twice a week.
I have done quiet a combination of things to improve the state and growth rate of my hair, so I can't really tell if this is one of the factors aiding my hair health. But it certainly hasn't hindered it :D

Becky9679
January 6th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Last month I started taking biotin just to see if it has any effect. I'm not taking a mega-dose, just a little extra every day (my daily multivitamin contains biotin as well). I'll see what difference it makes (if any) once the bottle is done and then decide whether I want to keep taking it. I have to say I haven't noticed much of a change yet though.

UP Lisa
January 6th, 2012, 06:42 AM
I started taking 2000 mcg/day about a month and a half ago because I thought I might actually be deficient in it. My diet has not been very good all these years due to all the junk food I eat, and my multivitamin doesn't provide all that much.

So far I have not experienced anything good or bad. So not sure what to do.....

Aliora
January 6th, 2012, 10:37 AM
I was actually thinking of taking Biotin, but after reading some of this I'm really glad I didn't.

I didn't know iron deficiency could cause shedding. I have a history of anemia. Does MSM help anemia or just the shedding?

becks113
January 6th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I take biotin & have been for a few months. My growth rate seems to have sped up, but I'm doing a crap load of other things too, so I can't really pinpoint what is responsible for it. I have noticed deep acne, so if I start to get more of that I lower the dose i'm taking & it seems to clear it up.

amantha
January 6th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I was actually thinking of taking Biotin, but after reading some of this I'm really glad I didn't.

I didn't know iron deficiency could cause shedding. I have a history of anemia. Does MSM help anemia or just the shedding?

Hi! MSM is only supposed to help shedding hair and acne and joint pain. It doesn't help with anemia. However I have been take iron supplements to bring my iron back up do the decrease in shedding may be due to that. However the benefits the MSM has had with my acne alone is enough for me to still keep on taking it. Hope that helps! :)

Deborah
January 6th, 2012, 11:46 AM
I have taken biotin for a long time now. It makes my fingernails stronger, but has done nothing for my hair.

Aliora
January 6th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Hi! MSM is only supposed to help shedding hair and acne and joint pain. It doesn't help with anemia. However I have been take iron supplements to bring my iron back up do the decrease in shedding may be due to that. However the benefits the MSM has had with my acne alone is enough for me to still keep on taking it. Hope that helps! :)

Good to know. Thanks! :)

same_as
January 6th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I agree with those who have recommended to just tak a multivitamin, or a hair, skin and nails multivitamin. They carry in them all that you should need.

robey
January 6th, 2012, 10:12 PM
(TMI warning!) I think it was caused by an infected hair follicle that turned into a cystic zit. It hurt so bad I had to get my boyfriend to sterilize a pin and drain it. It took him like 30 mins to do that and I think the pressure he applied, and the inflammation that the infection caused to the tissue, made the follicles drop their hairs about a month later and left me with a bald spot about the size of a dime/nickel. However, it is starting to grow back and I have some short fuzz there now. :)

Honestly, I think the best thing you can do to boost your hair growth beyond a good diet, is a good daily multivitamin and probably some fish oil capsules. If your body can handle Biotin, awesome, but if you start seeing zits your body is giving you a sign that it's too much. I might also have had a bad experience with Biotin at a low dose because I tend to already eat a lot of foods with Biotin in them (like cheese!) so I probably get more than enough from my diet anyway.

Also, welcome to the LHC! :cheese:
I am so sorry to hear about the cyst, that sounds so painful:(
I will look into some fish oil I already multi vitamin and I will be careful with my Biotin:)
I am thinking of trying Silica, It is in my favorite brand water and I heard it is great for healthy hair
And thanks for the welcome:blossom:

robey
January 6th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Thanks to all of you for your stories on Biotin and how it is affecting you:)
I will post me results to, but after hearing about many of your experiences with it I will be more watchful with my dose:blossom:

Rosa
January 7th, 2012, 05:02 AM
I've heard that folic acid can help. And some people recommend MSM. You could also try using essential oils. I had a readymade product that was all natural but I can't find it now. I think it was Italian (will look and see if I can post a link).
You can use drops of essential oils in a carrier oil (rosehip seed oil, evening primrose oil etc). I found a recipe online:
In each 1 ounce of carrier oil base, add:
• 8 Drops of Myrtle
• 8 Drops Lavender
• 8 Drops of Rosemary Verbenone
• 16 Drops Carrot Root

Rosa
January 7th, 2012, 05:07 AM
The product I was looking for is by Simply Zen. It's a product to stimulate hair growth, and is also recommended for people with hair loss. I wanted it to speed up hair growth, but forgot about it, so didn't use it consistently. It smells lovely and my scalp felt warm and nice, but as I didn't use it faithfully I can't say whether is accelerates growth. Here's the info:
Simply Zen Professional Hair Loss Treatment

This is our most intense treatment for excessive hair loss

An excessive and anomalous hair loss can be counteracted by an efficient program of intensive stimulation of the hair follicle. Its formulation has been studied to counteract the excessive hair loss while stimulating the hair follicle and bulb, encouraging hair re-growth.

Studies have shown both the increase in the average number of hairs and the speed of re-growth, the effect is attributed to the increased scalp microcirculation and cellular activity. The synergistic benefits of a bi-activator derived from Pheophycaes algae, the essential oil of Rosemary, Cinnamon, Ginger and specific botanical extracts of Gingko biloba, Aloe Vera, Yarrow, Calamus, Nutmeg and Myrrh revitalize and stimulate the atrophic hair follicle and bulb, strengthening the scalp microcirculation and increasing hair re-growth.

Simply Zen's strong stimulating and energizing action is completed with a purifying, bacteriostatic, calming and soothing action, for a complete wellbeing of scalp and hair. Camphor helps the absorption of the other active agents and inhibits the ∂-reductase enzyme, one of the most important enzymes responsible for the phenomenon of hair loss.

Suggestion of use: in case of excessive hair loss, we suggest a beginning cycle of 2-3 application per week for 8-10 weeks. In case of excessive and persistent hair loss, we suggest to increase the number of weekly applications up to a daily use. Space out with the preventive and maintenance lotion “ healthier scalp lotion” Evenly distribute the content of a phial on clean scalp, starting from the front and proceeding to the nape. Massage the scalp by lightly pressing with finger tips. We suggest to adopt the stimulating simply zen massage technique. Without rinsing, proceed styling.

Helenae
January 7th, 2012, 05:30 AM
I've been taking 3mg of Biotin for the last 2 months, I've seen a small increase in my hair growth (which previously grew only 1/4 inch a month) My eyebrow hairs grow back quicker now too. My hair feels stronger and thicker, and my nails have just stopped breaking which is great.

The results aren't anything you couldn't get from better eating habits or a good multivitamin, BUT I've been told the real growth begins after 3 months when your the biotin really starts to kick into use.

I'm also taking a multivitamin which contains folic acid and zinc. I also take MSM - these should keep the zits under cover.

Helenae
January 7th, 2012, 05:31 AM
FYI: Please don't take over 4mg of biotin - some people who took 5mg a day reported renal failure! Don't take the risk.

A. Correira
January 15th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I actually took Biotin rather religiously for 3 or 4 months... I thought for sure it must help my hair!!! Well... It helped my nails tremendously, but I have never really had bad problems with them to begin with.... I stopped taking it about a week or two ago... I normally break out occasionally but Biotin made it unbearable! It was like I was a young teenager again! It was so bad that it hit my self esteem. I started using face products that were for teenagers and that dried out my skin... Now that I have stopped, my face is amazing. I have my confidence back. I don't really find Biotin worth it. I get my daily amount from a multivitamin and that works for me. I have also found a hair routine that is making my hair grow like crazy, so there really is no need for extra Biotin- at least for me.

patienceneeded
January 15th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I take 2mg of Biotin daily and have for several months. I have had no negative side-effects, but I'm not sure it's making my hair grow faster. My fingernails are stronger and split/peel a LOT less than they use to, which is nice. I have very weak fingernails usually, and now they are strong. I'm going to taper down to only 1mg of Biotin daily and see if my nails stay as strong as they are on a smaller daily dose. My daily shedding and monthly growth rate seem unaffected by anything I do, so I just ignore my hair and let it do what it wants.

blondie9912
January 15th, 2012, 09:13 PM
There's definitely a risk in playing around with vitamins in order to aid your hair growth. Unless you have a biotin deficiency, you probably won't notice a difference in your hair growth rate by taking supplements.