PDA

View Full Version : Giving up hair growing as an activity/hobby

AngryVikingGirl
January 5th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I've decided to stop thinking about growing my hair. I won't cut it, but I won't spend my time wondering if I'm doing everything right about my hair. It makes me crazy.
The main reason is that I got frustrated by WO-ing with hard water. Never really nice. My hair is the only 'jewel' I wear. I want it down. I'm going back to egg wash+ACV, because I've experienced that it does good to my hair and no problems, shedding might be a bit more than now, with WO. But I'll have pretty hair again! Ohh, I'm looking forward to it! I don't want to worry about having it down all the time. It feels so much better! If it'll grow to classic, I'll be happy. If not, no matter. When it was BSL, I loved it caught in the wind! Sometimes I also worry about getting egoistic if I reach classic. (OK, I can deal with that actually.) Anyway I think it was the various hairdressers who prevented me from having longer hair than waist with their I-know-it-better behaviour...It's not that I'm gonna stop posting here, but I'll be benign neglect as hell.
;)

Ravenwind
January 5th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I think that's the best way to go :) if you constantly think about your hair and wishing it to grow faster and longer, it will feel like it takes forever >.> I've just started to not think about my hair as much and I'm liking it that way.

robey
January 5th, 2012, 11:43 AM
As long as you take great care of it, it will still grow just as fast as it would without the extra worry I would think:)

Synnovea
January 5th, 2012, 11:51 AM
All things in moderation, right? You've fostered a healthy attitude regarding your hair that will make you happier in the present and in the long run. Enjoy life! Your hair will follow!

Sushi144
January 5th, 2012, 11:55 AM
It's also my sister and I's philopsophy !

(Is that a correct sentence ? :laugh: I've no idea, English's not my first language !)

Mine is pretty and hers is extraordinary. Low maintenance can work ! \o/

Amber_Maiden
January 5th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Do it! Good for you!

sazzie88
January 5th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Thats very good ! I have also b een spending waaayy too much time thinking and wishing ity would grow. Mine is now shoulder length and i know it is going to take me years I have to just accept it.

I have for the past week been telling myself that it is growing and to me when i look in the mirror it looks soo much longer... I dont want to measure and jynx it.

What is funny is that when I had nearly waist length hairIi used to abuse it ( I used to iron it while sitting on the top stair. straight onto the carpet!) but it still managed to get to waist length regardless of the iron and monthly bleaching!

I will never do it again but I am trying my hardest to just get on and not think so much about having it up. Im going to enjoy it!

XcaliburGirl
January 5th, 2012, 12:29 PM
There's nothing wrong with having some fun with experiments, but I also agree, that after a while, I just want to not think about it.

It might take me until I can do a proper ponytail, though.

blondie9912
January 5th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Good idea! I've learned the hard way that it will grow at the same speed regardless of how much you think about it :p

Odyssey
January 5th, 2012, 02:11 PM
I suppose that even though you are choosing to neglect it, you will find it grows better because you are still taking better care of it. Best of luck either way. ^-^

jacqueline101
January 5th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I'd try can't hurt anything.

dwell_in_safety
January 5th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Haha, I've never really bothered being concerned with how quickly my hair is/is not growing. To me hair care is a hobby, and I am growing it out, but concern with length and/or finding the "perfect" routine has never appealed to me. So far my hair isn't hurting for the lack of effort. :) Benign neglect works wonders for the hair health of many around here.

Long_hair_bear
January 5th, 2012, 03:39 PM
I def think about mine too much. Im rather vain about my hair, which I guess is bad for a Christian. I think God will forgive me though since I always ask him to forgive my silliness every night in my prayers.

Anywho, ya my hair is my most spoiled body part. I pry spend more on it than my skin, nails, makeup, and contact lenses combined. I wish I could stop worrying about it, but it's always there to me and is in some ways my security blanket. Purely psychological, I'm sure. Really, really bad short haircut as a child.... Dont ask. Lol

Diamond.Eyes
January 5th, 2012, 03:52 PM
I know exactly what you mean when you say it makes you feel crazy. This college semester I'm going to be a full- time student, so I won't have time to think about my hair. Which is a good thing. It's winter break, and on my days off when I have nothing to do, I find myself obsessing over my hair, which I don't like at all. I'm not saying anyone who thinks about their hair 24/7 is vain at all, but it makes me feel vain to do so. It makes me feel as if I've wasted time I could have used to do something more productive. :(

spidermom
January 5th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I know what you mean! I enjoyed obsessing over my hair at first, then I decided that I wanted a much more casual relationship with my hair. It was easier said than done, however.

gman4354
January 5th, 2012, 04:19 PM
That's exactly my philosophy as well. If I don't really stress about how much my hair has grown then it seems as if it is growing faster because after a month I'll look at it and realize that it's gotten a lot longer. It just goes along with the saying, "A watched pot never boils".

jasper
January 5th, 2012, 04:21 PM
This makes me smile because I remember when I took up growing my hair as a "hobby." It was growing anyway because I was just too lazy to get an appointment and have it cut and too indecisive about how it should be cut. I renamed my laziness indecisiveness as an active hobby. ;)

jojo
January 5th, 2012, 05:13 PM
I so get what your saying. when I first found this site I tried everything! nowadays I just let it do its own thing and don't think half as much about it as i did!

Long_hair_bear
January 5th, 2012, 05:21 PM
I know exactly what you mean when you say it makes you feel crazy. This college semester I'm going to be a full- time student, so I won't have time to think about my hair. Which is a good thing. It's winter break, and on my days off when I have nothing to do, I find myself obsessing over my hair, which I don't like at all. I'm not saying anyone who thinks about their hair 24/7 is vain at all, but it makes me feel vain to do so. It makes me feel as if I've wasted time I could have used to do something more productive. :(

Ya same here, full time college student in 2 weeks. I'm spending my holidays learning new braids and watching educational documentaries and being a superb housewife. Baking is kinda my thang. If I were as good at taking care of my hair as I am at baking, my hair would look like Rapunzel's by now, except dark brown.

anikadear
January 5th, 2012, 05:47 PM
I totally get this! Also full-time college student in two weeks and I also have two kids so basically, my hair playing comes to a halt when school starts back up. I'll try things in the meantime but that's about it. I don't have time to make my hair a full-blown hobby. I at least know I'm not drowning it in sulfate shampoos and ripping through it with plastic brushes so already it's healthier in my eyes.

Diamond.Eyes
January 5th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Ya same here, full time college student in 2 weeks. I'm spending my holidays learning new braids and watching educational documentaries and being a superb housewife. Baking is kinda my thang. If I were as good at taking care of my hair as I am at baking, my hair would look like Rapunzel's by now, except dark brown.
I'm kind of dreading being a full time student, last semester I was only part time lol. And baking is such a great hobby! I used to bake all the time when I had time. My job consumes most of my time now, but on my days off when I'm not obsessing about my hair I usually sew or draw. I think it's a good thing to not consider growing your hair out a hobby, because I soon found out that it takes up a lot of your time. :p

Renate
January 5th, 2012, 06:32 PM
I want to quit having that as a hobby, even though I barely started, LOL.

the.fee.fairy
January 5th, 2012, 10:36 PM
If you look at my post history, you'll see that i actively gave up for about 5 years...

It wasn't til i definitely hit waist with healthy ends that i realised that it worked!

If you've found something that works, then keep at it, but benign neglect definitely worked for me. Then again, my hair enjoys being abused and grows quicker after some bleaching, micro braiding and all the bad things (except heat...).

Good luck and come back in 5 years to tell us how you've got on!