PDA

View Full Version : Mineral Oil (a rose by any other name...)

kaiakai
January 5th, 2012, 10:50 AM
I wanted to buy some mineral oil today here in Estonia, but the lady at the drug store looked at me as though I was crazy when I first asked for it.

She then offered me "vaseline oil". Could it be the same thing? I never thought about mineral oil being a petroleum product... and figured I better check before buying it.

ktani
January 5th, 2012, 10:53 AM
I wanted to buy some mineral oil today here in Estonia, but the lady at the drug store looked at me as though I was crazy when I first asked for it.

She then offered me "vaseline oil". Could it be the same thing? I never thought about mineral oil being a petroleum product... and figured I better check before buying it.

This should help, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

Drugstores should have it unfragranced. White baby oil is mineral oil too.

ETA: It should say "Paraffinum Liquidum" on the bottle. "Vaseline oil" would be close.

This should help too - see "Update" http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=85070&page=4

kaiakai
January 5th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Hm.

I'm going to have to rethink this idea, as I am not a big fan of petroleum products.

blondie9912
January 5th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Yup, mineral oil is definitely a petroleum product. One of the reasons I'm not fond of using it

ktani
January 6th, 2012, 03:56 AM
A perspective on petrochemicals and cosmetics from a cosmetic chemist, http://personalcaretruth.com/2010/08/petrochemicals-confusion-and-hypocrisy/

ktani
January 7th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Many cosmetic ingredients are synthesized with processes that use petrochemicals, http://personalcaretruth.com/2010/08/petrochemicals-confusion-and-hypocrisy/.

1 bottle of USP or BP mineral oil/white baby oil would last several years used the way I have suggested using it - about 2 drops at a time, and would not need reapplication until the next hair wash. It cannot go rancid and has an indefinite shelf life with no special requirements for storage.

That has less impact on the environment than going through several bottles of conditioner or detanger in 1 month of typical use for some people.

kaiakai
January 7th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Yeahh. Well curiousity got the better of me (and if I can control static with just a drop or two, it might be worth it). I picked up a bottle of the "vaseline oil" after all, and used a couple drops last night after washing my hair. I've had it up most of the day today, so I'm not sure of the results yet. (I'm also not sure how well I washed out the coconut oil I had in my hair yesterday, either.)

gazelle
January 7th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Drugstores should have it unfragranced. White baby oil is mineral oil too.

ETA: It should say "Paraffinum Liquidum" on the bottle. "Vaseline oil" would be close.
I used baby oil on my length before, and it was wonderful for defining the waves and curls. Now I use coconut oil after LHC. I did not knw it was a mineral oil

Hamh
January 7th, 2012, 12:56 PM
I'm a new mineral oil convert and having wonderful results

ktani
January 7th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I used baby oil on my length before, and it was wonderful for defining the waves and curls. Now I use coconut oil after LHC. I did not knw it was a mineral oil

There is room for both oils in a routine. Mineral oil is a great grooming aid and is not as greasy as coconut oil can be or leave the hair stringy, used in the right amount, lightly. It is also not heavy.

Used in oil shampoo, or as a treatment oil, coconut oil can be lighter and helps stop protein loss, when used on hair without barrier coatings. Mineral oil may not be needed after either of these two uses.

I do not need to use mineral oil after catnip use. However, I am very glad to know that if I do require something extra or cannot for whatever reason have the time to make and use catnip, I can count on mineral oil to "deliver". Catnip is also my hair colour, covering my grey/white streaks.

Kapri
January 8th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Hi Ktani,

I was really interested in what you wrote on another thread about build up following use of conditioners and then coconut oil etc I am sure that that is what I am experiencing. My ends are dry no matter what. So, I am going to try mineral water. Do you recommend clarifying first? I do find that rather a harsh process and don't want my hair to take too much of a punishment.

Many thanks for your advice,
Kapri