PDA

View Full Version : Hair classification changing with length?

ktno1
January 5th, 2012, 12:33 AM
From birth until about age 14/15, I had dead straight hair. And I mean dead straight. It wouldn't curl, it wouldn't even wave. I had to have curls for dance concerts and I remember having to cover my hair in lacquer to the point where it felt like cardboard to get the curls to hold for a few hours.

Around 14/15 I had my hair cut to shoulder length and it was still dead straight. People used to ask me if I flat ironed it because it had that "straightened" look about it naturally. I used to hate it because it lacked volume/body. Now I just miss it.

Since cutting my hair very short and having it layered, it has lost this straightness utterly. It waves around the nape of my neck and my bangs wave around my face as well. It looks awful and makes me look even more mullety than usual :eek:

I was just wondering if this has happened to others? Is there a chance that when I get more length and grow out my layers, my hair will go back to the way it was? Or am I stuck with these pathetic half-waves forever?

Mairéad
January 5th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Hair texture can change from a number of things. It can change due to length. Some get less curly as they grow and some get more curly as they grow. A change in hormonal chemistry can change hair texture. Many of us get hair changes at puberty, post puberty, pregnancy, and menopause. Some times hair texture can be masked by the products we use. Most conventional products are known to contain ingredients that can weigh down curl, and discontinuing their use can make what was hidden appear.

bratz81
January 5th, 2012, 02:41 AM
your hair type looks similar to mine so this might help :)
I always had long hair and it was straight too, looked straightened even when it wasn't. Since getting it cut a few years back and getting layers, I have noticed some 'kinks' in my hair, not full waves and not in all of my hair.

Part of this I think it caused by the different layers, as they hit a certain point they can wave out or in, and also I think I didn't notice any kinks/waves before because the longer length pulled them down.

So similar might be going on with you. Course you won't know til it gets longer but something to think about :)

caiti42
January 5th, 2012, 02:45 AM
My hair type also changed in my early 20's. Went from frizzy waves to smooth fairly straight hair :)

the.fee.fairy
January 5th, 2012, 02:47 AM
I read something many many years ago about your blood chemistry changing every 7 years. You're 21 (according to your info bit), so your blood chemistry has just changed.

Give it a chance to calm down and then see. My hair changed at 21, and again at 28 (hmm...that makes me sound old...). At 21 it changed to become dead straight, and then at 29 it changed back to straight canopy and wavy underlayers.

So give it a chance to grow. Remember your hair will also change now you're more aware of it. Before LHC, a lot of people see their hair as straight, wavy or curly, after LHC we take a lot more notice of our hair and how it's changing as we're looking after it, so it could be that now your natural hair is coming out to play because you're treating it differently, or you're just more aware.

When i was a child, i thought i had dead straight hair all over, but it was because my mother insisted on blowdrying it that way...

ktno1
January 5th, 2012, 03:01 AM
That's interesting. I always associated this change in texture with change in length, and never considered that it might be to do with age. My mother had wavy hair until she gave birth to my little brother and it became tightly curled and frizzy, which is pretty interesting.

I'm starting to think it's more the products I'm using and the way I treat my hair that have contributed to this change as well. Maybe I'm treating my hair better now I can see what my "real" texture is.

Lilli
January 5th, 2012, 07:54 AM
I vote for hormone changes associated with aging. I used to have 1a hair. Now it's 1c/2a (33 years old, 4 kids.)

anikadear
January 5th, 2012, 08:03 AM
I used to have wavy hair,then I had my kids and it's now super curly . It's wacky but we just have to go with the flow.

UP Lisa
January 6th, 2012, 08:26 AM
I always remember my hair being straight. I few years ago I started to notice waves. Maybe my texture changed when I had my kids, but I'm not sure since I had my hair short for many years, and even though it is actually 2b now, if it was short, it would be straight. You don't see the waves till it gets about shoulder length.

Amber_Maiden
January 6th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Your hair care routine can also change your hair. By taking better care of my hair, washing it less, clipping off the damage, etc. I found that my hair is actually much more wavy then i thought it was. I actually look like I have curly hair if I don't brush it! :D

PriscillaCherel
January 6th, 2012, 08:29 AM
@ Amber, same as I! I am more 2c/3a .. lol:P

bumblebums
January 6th, 2012, 08:37 AM
My hair was always straight until I moved to a more humid climate. Whenever I go back to where I grew up, my hair goes straight again.

KwaveT
January 6th, 2012, 08:42 AM
My hair looks deceptively straight while it was trimmed at the length of a typical men's short haircut. As I have let it grow it has gotten very wavy. My hair is starting to twist too along with being wavy.

UP Lisa
January 6th, 2012, 08:53 AM
One of my sons has beautiful curls when his hair starts to get longer. When it's short, it is totally straight. I hate cutting those curls off!

jojo
January 6th, 2012, 10:33 AM
My hair when short is very curly and then as it gets longer is goes more to a wave, my wave pattern has been the same since BSL on me. Though it depends on if ive touched or not when drying just how wavy it can get!