PDA

View Full Version : Headband damage

Lunarise
January 4th, 2012, 05:40 PM
I've been stretching my washes for a few months now. On my no wash days I put my hair in a bun with a headband to cover the greasies... Well today I noticed almost all of my hair in the front around my forehead has broken off! What the heck. What am I supposed to do instead? I cant wear headscarfs to work :/ should I give up on stretching washes in favor of less breakage?

Georgies
January 4th, 2012, 05:53 PM
What kind of headbands? Have you tried satin? This is going to sound silly but in addition to head bands I have mini ficcares to pin back my hair when it's up, otherwise greasy strands fall in my face. They're really tiny, like 2 inches long for holding side bangs etc. and come in pairs, jewel colors available...but they're almost as expensive as regular ficcares (that's the silly part).

Lunarise
January 4th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I've just been using drug store headbands, the thick cloth ones. I didn't think they'd damage my hair so bad! And those clips aren't a bad idea... It just might not hide my greasies enough. It gets pretty bad by the beginning of my 3rd day.
Satin headbands would be great... They look a bit expensive though.

Madora
January 4th, 2012, 08:21 PM
I've just been using drug store headbands, the thick cloth ones. I didn't think they'd damage my hair so bad! And those clips aren't a bad idea... It just might not hide my greasies enough. It gets pretty bad by the beginning of my 3rd day.
Satin headbands would be great... They look a bit expensive though.

Perhaps the fabric is too rough for your delicate front hairs.

Also, be sure you are NOT pulling the bun back tightly. Too tight buns can definitely lead to damage..especially to the front hairs which are very fragile.

missdelarocha
January 5th, 2012, 01:31 AM
Oh I'm sad to hear that! Maybe you can find some relatively cheap satin headbands, you might want them to be made from silk though too which may add to the cost because it's more breathable than polyester. I think it's a good investment for your hairline and Madora made a good point about making sure the bun isn't too tightly pulled back.

Have you tried using a BBB or anything like that for the greasiness? Dry shampoo?

Lunarise
January 5th, 2012, 08:26 AM
I guess I'll just have to save up some money for some nice headbands!

I have a mason pearson BBB but it doesn't seem to help all that much and I haven't found a dry shampoo that worked well for me yet. Haha, my hair is a bit difficult! I switched to shampoo bars and that helps me wash every other day.

Magdalene
January 5th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Are you sure it is the headbands causing the damage? I wear them all the time and have no problems. Could the friction with the headband be pulling the baby hairs that would normally be brushed back loose so they're more visible?

spike316
January 5th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Argh, double post!

spike316
January 5th, 2012, 09:44 AM
What didn't you like about dry shampoos? I've never been able to use the spray on kind because they just don't seem to cut the grease. My favorite so far has been Cake brand, I tried Ojon's as well, but the sift wasn't as fine as Cake's so it didn't blend in as well. A very small amount of corn starch or tapioca starch works well too, but you have to be sure not to use too much otherwise it won't blend in. It looks like your hair is on the darker side of blonde to the lighter side of brown though, so if you tried the tapioca/corn starch I'd probably recommend putting a little bit of cocoa powder into your blend so it'll mix with your hair.

Lunarise
January 6th, 2012, 02:43 AM
@Magdalene: That could be a very possible explanation... I'm going to lay off the headbands and see if they grow or stay around that same length.

And as for dry shampoos, I've tried suave.. the spray stuff and it didn't cut the grease (as you would agree). So I bought a powder one... "Ambiance Brunette Volumizing Dry Shampoo". It makes my hair dry.. and coarse feeling. Really terrible. And if I get it anywhere it's a pain to get the brown powder off.

Oh and just to clarify, my hair is actually quite dark brown. No where near blonde! :)