PDA

View Full Version : protein free poducts

Hollyfire3
January 4th, 2012, 03:04 PM
I think my hair has gone into protei overload mode again....i am not likeing this...i used a blow dry gell full of proteins and now, my hair is horrible. I need a list of protein free shampoos and conditioners that are color safe. I was gonna use vo5 but am worried it will strip my color because it is so harsh. I am even willing to CO wash, any advice on getting more moisture in my hair is MUCH appreciated.

Anje
January 4th, 2012, 03:45 PM
When I've had protein overload, the thing that has worked for me is to CO wash using SMT mix made with a protein-free conditioner. I think I used Suave Aloe and Waterlily, which is my usual standby conditioner. (VO5 varies a lot with formulation, so you need to read labels. Most of the Suave Naturals line, excepting Coconut and maybe the Ocean Breeze varieties, are protein-free.)

I repeated the CO/SMTs every few days, about as often as I could stand to wash my hair. Fixed the protein problem within a week.

Mina17
January 4th, 2012, 04:17 PM
The protein free list is here http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=46633. (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=46633)

You might want to clarify first to make sure you get rid of residue from the gel, then do an SMT with a protein-free conditioner to add moisture.

ETA: Well, the link doesn't seem to be working...but it can be found at the top of the forum under the sticky: Useful links-all you need to know.

Hollyfire3
January 4th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Thanks, i think i will try the SMT, but dont wanna use honey (no matter if i heat it, i am still gonna worry about lightening) or i might CO wash after clarifying...i clarifiyed yesterday before my cassia treatment but i think i mixed some proteiny shampoo with it to try to "moisturize" and it obiously did more harm then good...will CO wash tonight then will get the stuff for the SMT for tommorow or so...it was once use of the gel! This should be easier to fix...oh so frusterated!:mad:...any other suggestions? thanks to those who replied so far:D

Anje
January 4th, 2012, 06:49 PM
If you don't want to use honey, other sugar syrups work too. I've tried several and gotten good results with molasses, cheap pancake syrup (smells interesting), and corn syrup. I also know others have reported nice results from real maple syrup, but I'm too cheap to use that when any of the above work.

Hollyfire3
January 4th, 2012, 06:53 PM
If you don't want to use honey, other sugar syrups work too. I've tried several and gotten good results with molasses, cheap pancake syrup (smells interesting), and corn syrup. I also know others have reported nice results from real maple syrup, but I'm too cheap to use that when any of the above work.

Good idea! I will look into it...i just coated my hair in nearly a bottle of Vo5 conditioner and Ion naturals (both cone and protein free) after washing with Vo5 tea thearapy that is protein free and it might.....have worked! Wish me luck...i still wanna try an SMT though just for fun.:D