PDA

View Full Version : Rooster feathered hair!

sazzie88
January 4th, 2012, 06:28 AM
[LEFT]I couldnt help but make a thread about this I am very sorry if there has already been one. After seeing a thread on tie dye hair colouring ( which I loved) I was in persuit of lovely coloured hair without any more dying.

I have just purchased on eBay some lovely natural coloured feathers. ( this pic is not me ) but i just wanted your views on these. Has anyone ever used these and do they damage your hair where the micro beads are around hair? I think they look fantastic.

Sorry the picture is so big
http://www.buyhairfeathers.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/mistyrose.jpg

Amber_Maiden
January 4th, 2012, 08:05 AM
sazzie88, that is not a picture of rooster feathered hair. Those are feather earrings. This is a picture of rooster feathered hair: http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=rooster+feathered+hair&um=1&hl=en&client=safari&sa=N&rls=en&biw=1096&bih=684&tbm=isch&tbnid=msCvWVdRYC0D5M:&imgrefurl=http://featherhairextensionsinfo.com/&docid=yMPs9lSkxpm3CM&imgurl=http://featherhairextensionsinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/feather-hair-extensions.jpg&w=610&h=520&ei=OmoET-OyKKLm0QHG4eWJAg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=97&vpy=185&dur=948&hovh=207&hovw=243&tx=130&ty=122&sig=100032624019709453942&page=1&tbnh=137&tbnw=157&start=0&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

It's almost like it's braided into your hair. See the difference?
I think it would hurt the hair a bit, from the way I've seen them put in. Also, I believe I read somewhere that it is not an ethical practice concerning the birds- as they have to pluck the feathers out.

sazzie88
January 4th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Oh gosh Amber Maiden you are so very right they are earrings! ... Im walking off now feeling quite silly!

Oh I didnt think that the birds would be harmed in anyway. I think I have now changed my mind about them :-(

wicked kisses
January 4th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Oh gosh Amber Maiden you are so very right they are earrings! ... Im walking off now feeling quite silly!

Oh I didnt think that the birds would be harmed in anyway. I think I have now changed my mind about them :-(

most feathers are plucked from food animals, and therefore the animal is dead before plucking. also, pluckig feathers from a live bird is almost impossible, there are little muscles that hold them in.

(OMG: My farmergirl 4H background rears it's ugly head)

MissAlida
January 4th, 2012, 09:30 AM
I like the look, but if you stop and think about it : You will wear feathers plucked out of a dead bird...I don't know about you, but that sound a wee bit creepy to me. :confused:

Kaelee
January 4th, 2012, 09:38 AM
I really like the look, but how do they hold up? They say they last up to 6 months, but I can't imagine them looking GOOD for that long.

Amber_Maiden
January 4th, 2012, 11:56 AM
most feathers are plucked from food animals, and therefore the animal is dead before plucking. also, pluckig feathers from a live bird is almost impossible, there are little muscles that hold them in.

(OMG: My farmergirl 4H background rears it's ugly head)

This is why I said it was unethical:
http://www.globalanimal.org/2011/06/20/feather-hair-extensions-fashion-without-compassion/42888/

sazzie88
January 4th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Wicked kisses im glad you have some farmer girl in you :-)

I have bought them now so I might try them and see what they are like. I also purchased the small microbeads that keep them on your hair. You can apparently wash straighten and curl them. I dont use any heat so I wont be doing that.

I think its a good alternative to dying or bleaching

Ambermaiden Im sorry if it offends you or anyone else

jacqueline101
January 4th, 2012, 12:15 PM
I've never tried them I have a bling string. Its like a tensile string that is inserted with a metal o ring. Its durable no special care is needed. The picture of it is in my album.

spidermom
January 4th, 2012, 12:20 PM
I really like the look of them and hope somebody starts making synthetic feathers because I don't like the idea of slaughtering roosters merely for a few feathers, wasting the rest. What's wrong with society? It's like life doesn't matter.

Alex Lou
January 4th, 2012, 12:26 PM
http://www.globalanimal.org/2011/06/20/feather-hair-extensions-fashion-without-compassion/42888/
That sucks. You'd think that they could use the birds for dog food or something. Now I can never look at these feathers the same way knowing how wasteful it is.

sazzie88
January 4th, 2012, 12:26 PM
jacqueline101 I cant seem to find your picture but that sounds very ijnteresting I would like to see one. How long does it stay in your hair? is it the same as the micro rings that are tightened with pliers?

Amber_Maiden
January 4th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I really like the look of them and hope somebody starts making synthetic feathers because I don't like the idea of slaughtering roosters merely for a few feathers, wasting the rest. What's wrong with society? It's like life doesn't matter.

Exactly the point I was trying to make.

Wicked kisses im glad you have some farmer girl in you :-)

I have bought them now so I might try them and see what they are like. I also purchased the small microbeads that keep them on your hair. You can apparently wash straighten and curl them. I dont use any heat so I wont be doing that.

I think its a good alternative to dying or bleaching

Ambermaiden Im sorry if it offends you or anyone else

Doesn't offended me on a huge level... It just makes me sad that people would buy into something that hurts animals simply for vanity's sake. I think there are better/more ethical options out there. Just seems like a waste to me. But anyways, it's not my hair and people can do what they like with their hair.

That sucks. You'd think that they could use the birds for dog food or something. Now I can never look at these feathers the same way knowing how wasteful it is.

Agreed. It wouldn't be so bad if everything was getting used....

kaned_ferret
January 4th, 2012, 12:40 PM

You can get synth hair that takes on a similar appearance to this feathered thingumy - it's striped stick extensions that can be attached using the microring method. You can of course also get false decorative feathers and attach them through the more conventional "braid in" method (though if you're nifty with them, pretty much anything can be added to your hair with microrings if you're careful!)

I think (hope?) more often than not the examples we see fall into these categories rather than the peta-rant-inducing-unethical-rooster-killing ones...

sazzie88
January 4th, 2012, 12:43 PM
I would like to think that they use the feathers from the birds that are eaten ( as bad as that sounds)

If anyone here has tried them I would like your feedback. I v seen quite a few picutres of Kesha (The young singer) use them

luinecu
January 4th, 2012, 12:44 PM

I'd heard this from other sources too :( Maybe anyone considering getting the same effect could try making friends with someone with pet birds of their own, or at their local petting zoo or animal sanctuary. Feathers are shed over time naturally. I would of course suggest looking into the proper way to disinfect the feathers, especially if they come from an outdoorsy place.

Otherwise, I would look for an ethical source on etsy or otherwise, I know there was one in particular floating around online a few months ago (although I never saved the source).

Chromis
January 4th, 2012, 12:45 PM

They have synthetic feathers and it is also quite easy to find "ethical" feathers. Quite a few hobbyists sell feathers that have been naturally shed. Mostly for the fly fishing market, but some for crafters too. Chickens molt once or twice a year naturally. I pick up lots from our four hens even.

Amber_Maiden
January 4th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I'd heard this from other sources too :( Maybe anyone considering getting the same effect could try making friends with someone with pet birds of their own, or at their local petting zoo or animal sanctuary. Feathers are shed over time naturally. I would of course suggest looking into the proper way to disinfect the feathers, especially if they come from an outdoorsy place.

Otherwise, I would look for an ethical source on etsy or otherwise, I know there was one in particular floating around online a few months ago (although I never saved the source).

Too true. Good idea. That's actually how I make my feather earrings :D

luinecu
January 4th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Just to follow up, I did find a few 'cruelty-free' alternatives on Etsy, both synthetic and natural feathers from alternative sources (i.e. not meat/egg industry!) :)

http://www.etsy.com/search/handmade?search_submit=&q=cruelty+free+rooster+feather&view_type=gallery

Amber_Maiden
January 4th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Just to follow up, I did find a few 'cruelty-free' alternatives on Etsy, both synthetic and natural feathers from alternative sources (i.e. not meat/egg industry!) :)

http://www.etsy.com/search/handmade?search_submit=&q=cruelty+free+rooster+feather&view_type=gallery

Too cool!!!:D

I love Etsy!

Chromis
January 4th, 2012, 12:59 PM
I would like to think that they use the feathers from the birds that are eaten ( as bad as that sounds)

If anyone here has tried them I would like your feedback. I v seen quite a few picutres of Kesha (The young singer) use them

I am surprised they don't at least use them for pet food, but I can explain why they are not being sold for humans. Meat birds are normally killed much sooner than a rooster would get his full plumage. By the time they are looking truly splendid, they are pretty tough. They can still be pressure canned to get them tender or turned into stock, but it is not like cooking with the chickens you are used to getting from the grocer!

Ironically, these guys are likely getting far better care and longer lives than normal. Roosters in general are not perceived as being very valuable and most are culled. You don't need a roo for eggs, just for breeding, and if you have too many roosters together, they tend to fight. In order to get nice feathers, they need good care and enough room not to damage them. Granted, that isn't much space still most likely on the big producers, but more than a battery hen gets.

Growing up we had both, but we only ever kept one or two roosters. As soon as they started fighting or flying up at us, they were eaten. (Roosters can be very aggressive and give you some nasty wounds with their spurs.) If they didn't treat their hens well, eaten. Given that half of the eggs are going to be roosters when hatching out, there was no reason to keep a mean roo. We kept the pretty feathers and Grandpa used them to tie flies. He gave them away to friends too in exchange for beer.

kaned_ferret
January 4th, 2012, 01:07 PM
ah, yes this!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/83679277/sale-neon-green-grizzly-rooster-feather?ref=v1_other_2

sazzie88
January 4th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I have just rechecked the product that i purchased and they state that these feathers are "Whiting feathers"

Can anyone confirm that these birds have not been harmed? I did google it but I didnt read too much into it.

sazzie88
January 4th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Or confirm what whiting means?

sazzie88
January 4th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Kaned Ferret thank you for that link, they look very nice and very resonably priced!

Chromis
January 4th, 2012, 01:22 PM
I have just rechecked the product that i purchased and they state that these feathers are "Whiting feathers"

Can anyone confirm that these birds have not been harmed? I did google it but I didnt read too much into it.

It is the name of a farm: http://www.whitingfarms.com/index.html

They are a feather farm. These birds were raised solely for feathers. The site does not mention their harvesting procedures, but commercial farms often kill and pluck the feathers rather than letting them molt so they can assure best quality and consistency. If you want top notch feathers, they are a great choice, but if you are looking for "ethical" feathers, not so much.

Edit: They are in fact the farm mentioned in that article linked earlier in the thread!

I should mention that composting the birds is not "wasting" them. The compost itself is very nutrient-rich and really makes a difference in areas with poor soil like where this farm is located. We hot composted any animals that could not be eaten ourselves and this is a pretty common practice.

Kira94
January 4th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I think the whole feather in the hair thing looks neat. Only thing is I sort of hate being on trend. I almost want to wait till no one else is doing it anymore, and then I will. :laugh: That's kind of silly isn't it. Meh, I don't know, we'll see.

Amber_Maiden
January 4th, 2012, 01:46 PM
I should mention that composting the birds is not "wasting" them. The compost itself is very nutrient-rich and really makes a difference in areas with poor soil like where this farm is located. We hot composted any animals that could not be eaten ourselves and this is a pretty common practice.

Have to disagree with you there... Killing animals just for feathers and to compost seems a waste of lives to me. If it were done on a smaller scale, and for different reasons, then I'd have a different opinion.

There are other ways to get nutrient-rich compost.

Chromis
January 4th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Have to disagree with you there... Killing animals just for feathers and to compost seems a waste of lives to me. If it were done on a smaller scale, and for different reasons, then I'd have a different opinion.

There are other ways to get nutrient-rich compost.

Eh, ours died for other reasons, usually the ones we composted were sick. I do think animals are an important part of good farming practices. Large scale feather farming is likely too intensive to fit my definition of that, but I figure it is generally a good idea to present more facts than fewer.

Feathers in hair aren't something I would be likely to ever do btw (I clicked because the title sounded as if there might be pretty pictures in the thread lol), but I don't have a problem with the material. If I were to try it, I'd buy or barter for feathers from other backyard flocks most likely since I like buying local.

Amber_Maiden
January 4th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Eh, ours died for other reasons, usually the ones we composted were sick. I do think animals are an important part of good farming practices. Large scale feather farming is likely too intensive to fit my definition of that, but I figure it is generally a good idea to present more facts than fewer.

Now that makes sense. Sorry for the :rant: !

Kyla
January 4th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I had two feathers in my hair for nearly five months, and I actually just removed them myself two days ago. There is a picture on my album, actually, although I don't know how to link the pic. :/ feel free to look at it though! I absolutely loved them, they were very subtle, but I thought pretty.

They were originally placed at the root, but as time passed the bead they were attached to became farther and farther away from the root and more noticeable, so I decided to remove them. In addition, they was a knot right above the bead, with what I noticed was a few broken hairs. After I (gently!) removed the bead, though, and started to detangle, the ENTIRE KNOT slipped out off my hair, with a thickish strand of hair attached to it! And there were ton of little white dots on all the broken hair in the knot. Ugh. :(

I complain, but it really wasn't a big deal when I think about it. The missing strand is not noticeable, and the hair loss most likely happened because I wasn't taking care of the feather properly (I ignored it 99% of the time) and left it in for so long. I would think to be on the safe side you would only want the feathers in for a month to two months at a time for this reason.

pinupdancer
January 4th, 2012, 02:45 PM
My sister had this done to her hair (for free from a stylist she's friends with). Hers were clamped in and left no visible damage. They also held up fine and never looked mangy or anything. I personally think it's a nice look. :)

sazzie88
January 4th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Chromis and Aber maiden thank you for your views on this. I was just browsing on ebay when i came across them ( I was actually looking for new hair toys) and as an impulse i bought these :-)

|They will most probably wear them once and they will end up with the rest of my impuls buys....deep in the wardrobe!

Kyla they look lovely!

sazzie88
January 4th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Pinupdancer do you by any chance have any pictures?

Riselda
January 9th, 2012, 06:45 PM
I use emu feathers a local rancher sells. She collects them as they shed naturally. They look amazing. I also am collecting the tail feathers my parrots shed and someday will put them in my hair.

LadyKate
January 9th, 2012, 07:23 PM
I don't think wearing feathers from a dead chicken that I would be willing to eat is any different from wearing leather shoes from a cow that I would eat, you're just using everything, and they are cleaned and sanitized first. If you have made the choice not to eat meat, then I can see why you might prefer not to.

ladycaladium
January 9th, 2012, 08:10 PM
I actually work part-time at an outdoor shop with a fly fishing section. It's amazing how many people who come in to buy the feathers don't realize that they come from real birds or that for the most part, they are not shed naturally. The fly fishers know where the feathers come from but the fashion-types usually don't.

That being said, I do supply blue and gold macaw feathers to one of the guys who works in the fly department for his fly tying. When Iggy molts, he molts like crazy. I bag up the feathers and bring them in. I've also gotten some pretty neat feathers from our family friends' chickens on their farm. They were shed naturally too. The have some egg layers, a rooster and a bunch of Guinea hens which are great for eating the bugs in the gardens.

I don't mind getting the feathers that are shed naturally. We shed hair, birds shed feathers...who knows, next birds will be getting extensions!

snowfaery
January 9th, 2012, 09:53 PM
I've tried to do feathers over and over again and I can't get them to stay in longer than a few days. They almost always wash out of my hair even when double and triple clamped into my hair. I have a friend who has been able to keep hers in for 6 or more months and she says its because of the different ways we wash our hair. I scrub my scalp aggressively and use a lot of conditioner while she is a lot more delicate as she actually has to wash her hair in 3 separate stages as she has white blonde hair, red hair and black hair and she's trying to keep them from bleeding together.

GRU
January 10th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Totally OT, but there was a woman in my class last semester who looked like a rooster. She had shortish hair, the tips were "highlighted", and she spiked her hair out in a gazillion directions. Not like a 'punk rocker' type of look, though... I think she just thought she was "adding volume" or something. Looked ridiculous.

Oh yeah, and she's a grandmother. Rooster-granny! :lol:

HumanBean
January 10th, 2012, 08:29 AM
I find this thread interesting as I've been wondering lately at some of the wooden hair toys and were the wood comes from (it usually sounds exotic), and how much do we know really as to whether the wood source is sustainable/managed forest, that sort of thing? So overall, just a concern about source materials for some of our hair toys.

sazzie88
January 10th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Ha ha go rooster Granny! That does sound funny, I look back at some old pictures of mine and wonder what I was thnking! I think the camera tells no lies, yet when I looked in the mirror I saw something very different ha ha

My granny has had all colours under the sun I think she is purple at the moment must be trying to keep up with trends!...

sazzie88
January 10th, 2012, 08:33 AM
I find this thread interesting as I've been wondering lately at some of the wooden hair toys and were the wood comes from (it usually sounds exotic), and how much do we know really as to whether the wood source is sustainable/managed forest, that sort of thing? So overall, just a concern about source materials for some of our hair toys.

I would love to be able to make my own hair toys but I do not have a creativ flair unfortuantly. I might get around to it oneday.

I have seen on here someone (sorry cant remember who) made a lovely hair cage that looked like a spider web. I love it.

GRU
January 10th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Ha ha go rooster Granny! That does sound funny, I look back at some old pictures of mine and wonder what I was thnking! I think the camera tells no lies, yet when I looked in the mirror I saw something very different ha ha

Seriously, she looked like this:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/743750_enlrg.jpg

mixed with this:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/chicken-bad-hairday.jpg

only her clumps were each about 1"-2" thick.

I couldn't make this stuff up -- I don't do drugs!!!!

sazzie88
January 10th, 2012, 09:02 AM
That is so funny! I just let out a loud cry in the office :-p

I cant stop giggling now I wish I had of seen it!

I hope I dont end up looking like that!

Torrin Paige
January 10th, 2012, 09:09 AM
If you thought you could rock some more color - you could always go with peacock feathers. LOL. Peacocks shed their tails every year - and it grows in bigger and better! My Gram had peacocks while I was growing up. We collected the feathers for a few years and ended up making a huge Native American headdress just to see if we could. Apparently peacock feathers are becoming trendy again (they come and go like all trends) and I have always been a sucker for vivid color. http://hair.allwomenstalk.com/trendy-peacock-hair-accessories/

GRU
January 10th, 2012, 09:21 AM
That is so funny! I just let out a loud cry in the office :-p

I cant stop giggling now I wish I had of seen it!

I hope I dont end up looking like that!

I'm really wishing now I'd snapped a picture of it.... if we're ever in the same class again (highly likely -- we're both in the same nursing program), I'll be sure to snap-n-share!

sazzie88
January 10th, 2012, 09:21 AM
I Love the peacock headband I might have to invest in one of those!

sazzie88
January 10th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Oh great! we can make a thread on the worst spotted hair around! horrible but funny

Calaelen
January 10th, 2012, 09:59 AM
That article posted by amber maiden solidifies it for me, no feathers will be going in my hair unless they are fake...Killing a bird after one year for it's feather alone and wasting the rest? that is awful really. :(

sazzie88
January 10th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Calaelen Im not sure if they all are killed after 1 year I sincerely hope not. I think there are different places that do different tthings, I heard that some places collect the fallen feathers. This I think is ok as I used to have a birdie myself for many years and he used to loose them like anything