PDA

View Full Version : Hair experiment -awesome results so far !

UltraBella
January 3rd, 2012, 09:59 PM
I know I just posted a thread in this Mane forum a week ago, but I would like to post again.

I went to the beauty supply store for a few things and I found myself standing in front of a thousand products thinking I should broaden my hair horizons and try something new. (I have tried cones and no cones and quite frankly I still don't know which I like.)
I decided to go way out of my comfort zone and buy a Joico chelating shampoo. I have always been curious about these types of products but was worried about dryness. Then I figured, what the heck !!! let's try some protein too. I have only ever used a Henna & Placenta pack on my hair and it felt fine and smelled good but didn't make a lot of difference. So I bought Joico K-Pak Intense Moisture conditioner, it's full of protein.
I washed my hair the first chance I had with the chelating shampoo and then I slathered my head in the K-Pak conditioner. After I rinsed that out, while my hair was still soaking wet, I applied a bit of a non-cone conditioner as a leave in like I always do. Waited impatiently for my hair to dry..............

WOW !! It's like someone else's hair ! My hair is so soft, it feels as soft as my daughter's and she has fine hair while mine is coarse. I have NEVER had shine like this. S-H-I-N-Y ! ETA : I also can't believe how smooth and easy to detangle it is. My hair is very tangly by nature and it's frustrating, this new head of hair is super easy to deal with.

Now I am a bit bothered with myself though, I probably should have tried these one at a time before trying them together so I know where these wonderful results are coming from. Is it one, or the other, or the combo of both ?

Please share your protein experiences with me. I know some hair has protein issues, but it appears that mine loves it. Anyone else ? What about chelating shampoo - ever combined the two ?

I wonder how often I can do this without protein overload.

You all are seriously lucky that it's late and my indoor lighting stinks, or I would probably be posting giant photos ;)

lindaton
January 3rd, 2012, 10:02 PM
I can not imagine your hair looking any more beautiful than it already does!!! But I guess you would know how it feels.

Jenn of Pence
January 3rd, 2012, 10:03 PM
I shudder at the thought of proteins! ;) But I also have the Joico chelating shampoo and had a good experience with it. I also did an ACV rinse after it, not something I normally do, but it was recommended to me so as to smooth the cuticle after the shampoo. The chelating isn't something I would do very often, but it can certainly help get stubborn buildup off. I'm glad the combo worked for you. :)

Kyla
January 3rd, 2012, 10:04 PM
You say we're lucky? I think not! I would have loved some photos! :P

Congrats on your awesome hair experiment. :)

inkd
January 3rd, 2012, 10:05 PM
It's definitely the K-Pak! That stuff is awesome.

inkd
January 3rd, 2012, 10:08 PM
Jenn of Pence, why do you shudder at the thought of protiens? I've seen a couple different people shy away from the word, so I have to ask! What's up with that?

UltraBella
January 3rd, 2012, 10:24 PM
I can not imagine your hair looking any more beautiful than it already does!!! But I guess you would know how it feels.

It feels SO VERY different. I had my daughter feel it and she is so surprised at how soft and shiny it is.

I shudder at the thought of proteins! ;) But I also have the Joico chelating shampoo and had a good experience with it. I also did an ACV rinse after it, not something I normally do, but it was recommended to me so as to smooth the cuticle after the shampoo. The chelating isn't something I would do very often, but it can certainly help get stubborn buildup off. I'm glad the combo worked for you. :)

ACV rinses are so far not a good experience for me. I really wanted to like it, but my hair feels not as nice afterwards.

You say we're lucky? I think not! I would have loved some photos! :P

Congrats on your awesome hair experiment. :)

You may get some tomorrow ;)

Jenn of Pence, why do you shudder at the thought of protiens? I've seen a couple different people shy away from the word, so I have to ask! What's up with that?

I know I have read several member's comments about protein making their hair dry, crunchy and terrible feeling. It's one of the reasons I was scared to try protein.

aisha.christine
January 3rd, 2012, 10:34 PM
I have hard water, so I get similar results to the ones you are talking about after I use the Joico Chelating shampoo.

That said, my hair also loves protein, but, when I do a protein treatment it doesn't really shine too much more than usual (though it is way more manageable and soft.)

I suggest trying the two independently from one another, and see if you get similar results from using only one product. If not, them maybe it was the combination of the two. Either way, I can't wait to see pictures :D

CurlyCap
January 3rd, 2012, 10:58 PM
Maybe you accidentally hit the trifecta because you:

1. Started with perfectly clarified and chelated hair (shampoo)
2. Add enough protein to saturate and bind the hair (K-pak), but rinsed out excess
3. Intensely moisturized afterwards (leave-in conditioner left to air dry)

My hair hates protein overload, BUT I've noticed that if the above three things are always present than I get shiny reinforced hair. Anything else, any steps skipped, and I get the matty breakage.

I want pics!

Cocoa_Crema
January 3rd, 2012, 11:11 PM
I live in Phoenix, AZ area and the water here in the water is terrible. It's filled with salts and other minerals. So I'm guessing all of these deposits are in my hair. If I let tap water sit it easily forms a white grime.

Do you think the chelating will work for me? How is it different from a clarifying shampoo? How often should I use?

Thanks so much for sharing. I'm excited to try this! <3

Tia2010
January 3rd, 2012, 11:18 PM
Well my hair loves protein. I do a 2 minute re-constructor about once a month (followed by a deep conditioning treatment) and I use protein filled shampoo and conditioner's and my hair loves it. The shine is about the same for me, but my hair usually has good shine anyway...BUT it feels amazing afterwards...it feels thicker and softer at the same time..I love it :)

As for the chelating shampoo. I have never used one so I'm no help there, sorry :) BUt this has peaked my interest, so I may try one soon.

UltraBella
January 3rd, 2012, 11:27 PM
I live in Phoenix, AZ area and the water here in the water is terrible. It's filled with salts and other minerals. So I'm guessing all of these deposits are in my hair. If I let tap water sit it easily forms a white grime.

Do you think the chelating will work for me? How is it different from a clarifying shampoo? How often should I use?

Thanks so much for sharing. I'm excited to try this! <3

This article explains it well :
http://www.diaryofahairobsession.com/?p=2640

Yes, I think you should try it !

MagicalMystery
January 3rd, 2012, 11:37 PM
I have used the Joico K-Pak and liked it a lot... but nothing has ever worked miracles on my hair than the Giovanni Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor! It is absolutely mind-blowing how miraculously it repairs your hair! Even after 1 minute my hair becomes silk! Highly recommended!

AnimaSola3o4
January 3rd, 2012, 11:37 PM
No protein for me!!! I also shudder at the thought!! My hair does not like proteins. It makes it horribly dry and tangly. I would try the chelating shampoo though.

inkd
January 3rd, 2012, 11:56 PM
Hmmm...what about oils? Has anyone used Organix brand stuff? It seems to be working quite well for me :D

MagicalMystery
January 4th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Hmmm...what about oils? Has anyone used Organix brand stuff? It seems to be working quite well for me :D

Love them! I use their Coconut Milk Serum everyday!

Mesmerise
January 4th, 2012, 02:40 AM
Well I have used the chelating shampoo and I didn't notice anything miraculous from it (I tend to use it once a month before hennaing), but I would like to try the conditioner! I have no idea if my hair hates proteins or not?? I think my hair is neutral to most things :p. It'd be nice if I could find something that makes my hair AWESOME though!

Altocumulus
January 4th, 2012, 06:03 AM
My hair loves protein! Never tried the K-pak - the closest Sally's is really hard to get to. I've never tried a chelating shampoo, but I live in a soft water area, so I wouldn't expect to have much mineral buildup.

Syrena
January 4th, 2012, 06:14 AM
I am using Joico K-Pak deep moisturizer and intense hydrator every 7 to 10 days and my lengths love it. My favourite one is the intense hydrator and also smells like heaven!:)

UltraBella
January 4th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Well I have used the chelating shampoo and I didn't notice anything miraculous from it (I tend to use it once a month before hennaing), but I would like to try the conditioner! I have no idea if my hair hates proteins or not?? I think my hair is neutral to most things :p. It'd be nice if I could find something that makes my hair AWESOME though!

That's kind of what I thought too, my hair being neutral to most things. I can't believe I had never tried a chelating shampoo, our water is extremely hard here.
As for the protein, I am going to keep a close eye on my hair and if I see signs of protein overload, I will cut back. I only wash once a week so I am curious know how often I can use this.

holothuroidea
January 4th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Maybe you accidentally hit the trifecta because you:

1. Started with perfectly clarified and chelated hair (shampoo)
2. Add enough protein to saturate and bind the hair (K-pak), but rinsed out excess
3. Intensely moisturized afterwards (leave-in conditioner left to air dry)

My hair hates protein overload, BUT I've noticed that if the above three things are always present than I get shiny reinforced hair. Anything else, any steps skipped, and I get the matty breakage.

I want pics!

This was a very helpful post! My hair got really mushy and I wanted to try protein but wasn't sure how. I just added a protein-containing conditioner to the end of my CWC routine. My hair is noticeably stronger and has better texture so my hair did need the protein but it is also drier and less shiny.

This sounds like it could work for me. I clarify and do a SMT every week so maybe I could work a protein pack in there as needed.

A couple questions:
When you chelate and clarify, do you do them in the same wash? Which do you do first?

Can anyone recommend a "natural/organic" alternative for chelating and protein? I've been looking everywhere and they are hard to find.

ktani
January 4th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Can anyone recommend a "natural/organic" alternative for chelating and protein? I've been looking everywhere and they are hard to find.

You can clarify with baking soda, chelate immediately afterward with a diluted lemon juice rinse and follow that with a recommendation from here like soy sauce,
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1071434

and while your hair is still damp following that, use a few drops of mineral oil to hold the moisture (the water) in your hair. ETA: and yes, mineral oil is natural - purified but natural. ETA:2 See #3 http://personalcaretruth.com/2010/11/myths-about-mineral-oil-part-2/

getoffmyskittle
January 4th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Photos, please! ;)

MonaLisa
January 4th, 2012, 09:37 AM
*stalking the thread and waiting for pics*

holothuroidea
January 4th, 2012, 10:13 AM
You can clarify with baking soda, chelate immediately afterward with a diluted lemon juice rinse and follow that with a recommendation from here like soy sauce,
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1071434

and while your hair is still damp following that, use a few drops of mineral oil to hold the moisture (the water) in your hair. ETA: and yes, mineral oil is natural - purified but natural. ETA:2 See #3 http://personalcaretruth.com/2010/11/myths-about-mineral-oil-part-2/

I remember your rec for lemon juice. I just keep forgetting to buy lemons!! I tried lemon juice before but it didn't work for my hair, but it may have been the preservatives so I want to juice one myself.

Soy sauce! Of course! :D

spidermom
January 4th, 2012, 10:18 AM
My hair responds favorably to the KPak deep conditioner too. It looks like glass (almost).

I've never tried the chelating shampoo, though.

ktani
January 4th, 2012, 10:26 AM
I remember your rec for lemon juice. I just keep forgetting to buy lemons!! I tried lemon juice before but it didn't work for my hair, but it may have been the preservatives so I want to juice one myself.

Soy sauce! Of course! :D

With lemon juice it is the dilution too - dilute it well. Salt can help moisturize hair - to a point - you can also use reduced salt soy sauce.

holothuroidea
January 4th, 2012, 10:34 AM
With lemon juice it is the dilution too - dilute it well. Salt can help moisturize hair - to a point - you can also use reduced salt soy sauce.

It may have been too dilute. I used to use 1:10 dilution, I worked my way up to 1:4 with ACV but this was after I gave up on lemon juice so I will start with 1:4.

As for the soy sauce, I'll probably get some Liquid Aminos because they don't have preservatives or added sodium. I don't usually keep soy sauce around.

aster66
January 4th, 2012, 11:36 AM
I'm waiting for pictures aswell ;).

In the meantime can some explain to me what a chelating shampoo is :confused:? I've never heard of it (LHC newbie here).

princessp
January 4th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I am so going to try this. Thank you UltraBella! And I want to see pics of your lovely locks too!!! :)

ETA: I've had excellent results with rainwash (http://www.mehandi.com/shop/rainwash/index.html) from the mendhi shop for reversing the dullness caused by hard water.

SoulOfTheSea
January 4th, 2012, 11:39 AM
How often do you think you could do this and get the same results? Weekly? Then on other wash days do a CO or something?

holothuroidea
January 4th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I'm waiting for pictures aswell ;).

In the meantime can some explain to me what a chelating shampoo is :confused:? I've never heard of it (LHC newbie here).

A chelating agent binds to minerals on the hair so they can be washed away. Essentially, it gets rid of mineral build up from things like hard water and swimming.

Like Ktani mentioned, citric acid is an excellent chelating agent so lemons might work as well as a chelating shampoo.

aster66
January 4th, 2012, 11:45 AM
A chelating agent binds to minerals on the hair so they can be washed away. Essentially, it gets rid of mineral build up from things like hard water and swimming.

Like Ktani mentioned, citric acid is an excellent chelating agent so lemons might work as well as a chelating shampoo.

Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining it to me :)!

JuliaDancer
January 4th, 2012, 11:50 AM
I also have the Joico chelating shampoo! I'm afraid to over-use it though, since I read somewhere chelating can be drying. I only use it once every couple of months or so, with a coney, thick conditioner, and my hair feels great too.

blondie9912
January 4th, 2012, 01:41 PM
It's got to be the Intense Reconstructor responsible for those results! My hair can't stand too much protein (I was using Mane n Tail for a month or so until my hair started feeling AWFUL) but I never get any negative results from the Joico KPak. It always makes my hair amazingly soft, shiny, and so easy to comb! The chelating shampoo probably just helped the deep conditioner to 'sink in' better. Random question, but was it difficult to find the chelating shampoo? I've been meaning to try it for quite some time, and haven't really seen it anywhere.

Aliped
January 4th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I read this just before heading to the store, with eggs, mayonnaise and honey on my list, for protein followed by moisture treatments. Now I'm really excited. I'm not planning on chelating though. It will take me a few days to do everything, but if I don't get good results, I'll have a strong suspicion that's why.

UltraBella
January 4th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I have to upload the pics, they are quite comical ! Dark indoor lighting makes for bad photos, so I went outside. The wind is CRAZY. You will all get a good chuckle. Uploading ASAP. Be patient with me please :)

ETA : here they are. These pics are funny but really entirely useless. You can't tell at all how shiny or smooth my hair is because it's being attacked by wind. But, I took them so I might as well post them !

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/a21c1817.jpg

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/e52e32b7.jpg

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/b566f93e.jpg

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/e93e06ae.jpg

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/17c4c377.jpg

misstwist
January 4th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Ultrabella doing sexy, wind-tossed hair pics. You need a beach and a bikini!

I get great results with Kenra's chelating shampoo followed by the ION protein treatment and a rich no-cone conditioner as a leave in.

I think the point made up-thread about the combination of that treatment is good.

UltraBella
January 4th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Ultrabella doing sexy, wind-tossed hair pics. You need a beach and a bikini!

I get great results with Kenra's chelating shampoo followed by the ION protein treatment and a rich no-cone conditioner as a leave in.

I think the point made up-thread about the combination of that treatment is good.

Oh lord, that cracked me up. I won't be seeing a beach for quite some time and you really don't want me taking pics in a bikini, I would hate for you to have to poke your own eyes out ;) I am a bit "poofy" for swimsuit wearing at the moment !

I do wonder what will happen if I use these products on their own and not in combination. I am going to have to experiment more.

Also, I just have to say that the recommendations for chelating with lemon or baking soda are great ideas, but I don't think my results would be the same. Baking soda makes my hair feel very dry. So does lemon or ACV. This chelating shampoo didn't cause my hair to feel dry at all, which is a big deal to me.

slz
January 4th, 2012, 04:46 PM
You inspired me to try some protein treatment next time I shampoo - I've never really tried, maybe I used some in some of the different conditionners I ever used but without noticing, well all in all I have no idea what my hair thinks of protein.
However I'm cheap so I'll do a vinegar rince and soy sauce treatment instead. Then again, soy sauce in hair ? Too awesome not to try :D.

princessp
January 4th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Oh lord, that cracked me up. I won't be seeing a beach for quite some time and you really don't want me taking pics in a bikini, I would hate for you to have to poke your own eyes out ;) I am a bit "poofy" for swimsuit wearing at the moment !

I do wonder what will happen if I use these products on their own and not in combination. I am going to have to experiment more.

Also, I just have to say that the recommendations for chelating with lemon or baking soda are great ideas, but I don't think my results would be the same. Baking soda makes my hair feel very dry. So does lemon or ACV. This chelating shampoo didn't cause my hair to feel dry at all, which is a big deal to me.

Yeah I have the same drying problem with baking soda and lemon too. Thanks for sharing the pictures they are really cute you look like a model!

ktani
January 4th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Both baking soda solutions and lemon juics rinses can be diluted to work well without dryness. My mom rinsed my hair with diluted lemon juice when I was very young. My hair felt silky afterward, no dryness.

UltraBella
January 4th, 2012, 06:05 PM
You inspired me to try some protein treatment next time I shampoo - I've never really tried, maybe I used some in some of the different conditionners I ever used but without noticing, well all in all I have no idea what my hair thinks of protein.
However I'm cheap so I'll do a vinegar rince and soy sauce treatment instead. Then again, soy sauce in hair ? Too awesome not to try :D.

Seriously, let me know how the soy sauce turns out, I am totally intrigued and yet not willing to try it on my own hair yet :)

Both baking soda solutions and lemon juics rinses can be diluted to work well without dryness. My mom rinsed my hair with diluted lemon juice when I was very young. My hair felt silky afterward, no dryness.

I am sure they work great for some, but not on my hair. Baking soda is hair hell for me and lemon even incredibly diluted is not pleasant. Which is why it took me so long to try an ACV rinse and my hair does not appreciate those either.

Baileygirl
January 4th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Your hair is beautiful. Think I will try the k pak.

Loviatar
January 4th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I am definitely going to try K-Pak if I can get it here, and if it's not coney. Can you post an ingredients list please UltraBella?

I also only get good results with protein masks if I do steps 2 and 3 of CurlyCap's list. Sometimes I clarify beforehand, sometimes I don't, but that doesn't seem to make much difference.

Soy sauce on my hair... well I am allergic to soy so that's a no from me! I do use lemon juice though sometimes in my acid rinse (post shampoo bars) and my clarifying shampoo has lemon juice in it. I've never deliberately 'chelated' though (rather than clarified).

holothuroidea
January 4th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Anyone considering using soy sauce or Bragg's liquid aminos might be interested in this article (http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/06/size-matters-protein-conditioning-part.html).

I think that since I need to spend money anyway I'll probably buy a protein treatment. If I had soy sauce around I would give it a shot, though.

I'm still going to try lemon instead of the chelating shampoo. Lemons are way cheaper than that stuff.

holothuroidea
January 4th, 2012, 07:34 PM
What's the difference between a protein treatment and just using a protein containing shampoo or conditioner?

Is it the way it is applied or is it the actual amount/type of protein in the product?

CurlyCap
January 4th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Holo, natural options:
1. Chelating rinse: ACV or lemon juice rinses
2. Protein: Smashed avocado mud (with cassia for even more protein)
3. Moisture: Garnier Triple Nutrition as leave-in, or rooibos/rosemary/oil rinse allowed to air dry

Soy sauce tryers:
Remember that most American soy sauce is made out of flavored wheat, not soy. The protein present is almost absent. If anything, buy a tub of tofu and save the water the tofu block is floating in, dilute it and apply as a rinse. :D

UltraBella
January 4th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I am definitely going to try K-Pak if I can get it here, and if it's not coney. Can you post an ingredients list please UltraBella?

Ingredients: Deionized Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Cetyl Esters, Lanolin, Hydrolyzed Hair Keratin (Quadramine Complex), Laurdimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed* Keratin, Hydrolyzed Keratin PG-Propyl Methylsilanediol, Thioctic Acid, Psidium Guajava (Guava) Fruit Extract, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Aleurites Moluccana Seed Oil, Glycolipids, Allantoin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Hyaluronic Acid, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Benzophenone-4, Amodimethicone, Ceteareth-20, Cetrimonium Chloride, Trideceth-12, Butryospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Methylparaben, DMDM Hydantoin, Tetrasodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Fragrance (Parfum).

What's the difference between a protein treatment and just using a protein containing shampoo or conditioner?

Is it the way it is applied or is it the actual amount/type of protein in the product?

I think the type and amount of protein varies a whole lot between products. The protein's molecular size has to be small enough to penetrate your hair shaft.

bedazzlecat
January 4th, 2012, 08:36 PM
I have been using Hask protein treatments once a week, since the beginning of December. I started using it when I noticed that all my conditioning was doing nothing for my tangles, and was getting stretchy. I live in a dry climate, so I need moisture, but I also have to deal with the repercussions of dying my hair black, which apparently is protein loss. I'm going to back off the once a week treatments to only once a month, because once a week just seems a bit much. I have put the liquid from the little bottles into a mini spray bottle so rather than splashing it on--very awkward and messy---I can just mist it all over and use less of it.

I love how my hair feels right after a protein treatment, but it gets dry before my next wash. Doing a coconut oiling tonight before my wash and a protein misting after with a smidgen of oil on the ends. (By the way, this is my first coconut oil.) I shall see how that all works.

holothuroidea
January 4th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Holo, natural options:
1. Chelating rinse: ACV or lemon juice rinses
2. Protein: Smashed avocado mud (with cassia for even more protein)
3. Moisture: Garnier Triple Nutrition as leave-in, or rooibos/rosemary/oil rinse allowed to air dry

Soy sauce tryers:
Remember that most American soy sauce is made out of flavored wheat, not soy. The protein present is almost absent. If anything, buy a tub of tofu and save the water the tofu block is floating in, dilute it and apply as a rinse. :D

Acetic acid will not form chelates, so vinegar won't work.

Good point about the soy sauce, I was going to try Bragg's liquid aminos until I read that article.

Thanks for the avocado suggestion but putting anything in my hair that is perishable gives me the heebie jeebies!!

patienceneeded
January 4th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Ultrabella, your hair is gorgeous and so are you! Very "supermodel on a wind-swept beach." I'm going to have to make a run to Sally's and get those products!

Pumpkin
January 4th, 2012, 10:09 PM
I am so happy to hear that combination worked for you!! :)

I tried chelating shampoo to clarify, and boy does it clarify! Even after I used conditioner and a leave-in, my hair felt and looked crunchy.

MonaLisa
January 5th, 2012, 03:40 AM
Yay! Amazing pictures! Love the wind and spontainious movement of hair! Looks lovely! :)

UltraBella
January 5th, 2012, 11:42 AM
If any of you try these products, or products that are similar, please make sure and post your results !

MonaLisa
January 5th, 2012, 11:45 AM
I bought protein loaded shampoo and conditioner and mask today, I'm gonna give it another go :)

robey
January 5th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I use protein all the time, I love it

PrairieRose
January 5th, 2012, 11:51 AM
UltraBella Love the pictures! When your hair can still look good all wind blown then you know your doing something right:)

UltraBella
January 5th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Update :
Tonight is evening # 3 since using the chelating shampoo followed by the protein and my hair is still extra soft and I haven't had any tangles. I usually have tangles daily.
I am going to wash again tomorrow evening, no chelating, yes to protein, and see if it still feels great or if it's protein overload. Joico also has a K-Pak product that has more protein in it than this one, so I am going to pick that one up at the beauty supply store and do a comparison.

Aliped
January 6th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Last night I mixed up a couple of eggs, some mayo and grape seed oil, as a protein treatment. Left it on for an hour, rinsed it out with cold water. Then applied a nice warm SMT, for moisture (also left on for one hour). I'm pretty sure I didn't rinse the SMT out well enough, but it was late so I just went to bed. In the morning I washed my hair with a diluted SLS free shampoo, gave it a very light oiling with jojoba, put it into a damp bun and went about my day. Now that I'm home, I've let down my hair and gently brushed it out. It feels lovely and soft and silky!

My hair definitely likes protein + moisture.

Has anybody tried protein without moisture? Is that drying?

I've read that if your hair stretches when wet without breaking, it needs moisture. Mine did this both before and after my home made protein treatment. Are eggs and mayo a good way to get protein, or are the molecules too large? Perhaps my results were purely the effect of the SMT and damp bunning with jojoba oil.

I'm sensitive to Soy, so I'm never going to do a soy sauce treatment. Any other protein suggestions?

Vanilla
January 6th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I did this tonight, and while my hair is still wet, it already feels amazing! I can't stop touching it.

Clarifying shampoo: Aubrey Organics Volumzing Chamomile shampoo
Protein: v05 shower works hot oil
Conditioner/moisture: Jason Jojoba Conditioner

V05 Hot oil shower works is meant to be used before shampooing, so I did, then followed up with the chamomile shampoo, then the jojoba conditioner in a cap for about 15 minutes. I rinsed and didnt do a leave in.

Hollyfire3
January 6th, 2012, 08:54 PM
My hair hates most proteins, it overloads easily, but small amounts are great. If i go overboard, forget it, i get crunchy, lifeless, curless, flat, sticky, icky want-to-cut it all off now hair. Moisture moisture mousture to fix it. I'm glad it worked for you UltraBella but really, your hair is amazing, stunning and beautiful now matter what. :D happy your experimenting worked well, for me it is high expectations and horrible results.

akilina
January 6th, 2012, 09:03 PM
I really want to try something from the K-pak products! there is some at my work. i might buy the conditioning balm tomorrow and try it out. We also have redken all soft and i think there is WAY too much protein in it for me. not sure how my hair would like the kpak though

Rosa
January 7th, 2012, 05:13 AM
UltraBelle, what super amazing hair! If only mine could look a bit as good...
This is a really informative thread. I've always had short hair and a lazy care routine. I've never tried a chelating shampoo, but have used Mane & Tail off and on for a few months without any downsides. But then I'm very lax and don't use anything consistently. Henna was great for me - colour and condition in one. Although it did make my hair a bit too sleek, with an inclination towards oily.

julliams
January 7th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Ultrabella, those pics make me want to cut more layers in my hair - lol!!! I'm going shopping tomorrow - will keep a look out for Joice products. I think we can get them here in Australia but I'm not sure if they'll be named the same.

UltraBella
January 7th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Another update :

I wore my hair down yesterday for hours and I didn't have one tangle in my hair when I got home. I always have a knot in my hair the size of my fist after wearing it down for even an hour or two. This was a major accomplishment and I think it is because of the protein and how smooth and soft my hair is now. It's a huge change.

I also like how quick it was to achieve this result. No sitting around for hours with a concoction on my head. I chelated, applied the protein conditioner for about 4 minutes, applied the non-cone conditioner as a leave in and was done.
:D