PDA

View Full Version : Hairbrush question...

Bethmc
January 3rd, 2012, 03:53 PM
Is a boar bristle brush better for your hair than a cushion brush (less damage or breakage)? And what do you do to control the static that comes with using a boar bristle brush? Thanks! 😊

Amber_Maiden
January 3rd, 2012, 04:03 PM
A BBB is used to distribute sebum don the hair shaft- so with the oil comes less static, usually. Also, keep in mind a BBB usually doesn't take the place of a regular comb or brush or finger combing, it is made to distribute the oil, not take out tangles, etc.

Madora
January 3rd, 2012, 04:07 PM
Is a boar bristle brush better for your hair than a cushion brush (less damage or breakage)? And what do you do to control the static that comes with using a boar bristle brush? Thanks! ��

The pure boar bristle brush, with bristles that are not mounted in a cushion type setting, is better for your hair because the cushion is usually made of some kind of rubber. Rubber generates heat and even more static.

Controlling static that comes from brushing is simply a matter of following each stroke of the brush with the palm of your other hand down your hair each time you brush. The brush is the "+" and your hand is the "-", and static is greatly reduced when you brush your hair in this manner.

Bethmc
January 3rd, 2012, 04:10 PM
A BBB is used to distribute sebum don the hair shaft- so with the oil comes less static, usually. Also, keep in mind a BBB usually doesn't take the place of a regular comb or brush or finger combing, it is made to distribute the oil, not take out tangles, etc.
What kind of brush do you use for regular brushing and tangles?

Synnovea
January 3rd, 2012, 04:13 PM

I'm curious to see what many of you use for gentle but effective brushing as well. I've read that any brushes with plastic bulbs at the ends of the teeth are no-nos?

princesitamaria
January 3rd, 2012, 04:17 PM
I recently got a bbb from being on this site- and its good for everyday brushing- but if you got tangles I read you should use a wooden wide pick comb and of course do the ends first and when you got it all out then you can use the bbb for the rest of it- hope that helps- dont use a plastic brush for getting out the tangles- I use my wooden comb that came with WEN when I used to use it- and I seriously got a lot less breakage- I comb it before I wash it over the sink so I can see what comes out- and so far its doing a lot better

auntnina
January 3rd, 2012, 04:18 PM
Self edited

Madora
January 3rd, 2012, 04:37 PM

My brush is a pure bristle Goody, which alas, is not made any more.

Please, for the sake of your hair, whatever brush you use, never, EVER just brush your hair! Always, always, detangle it gently first, with a wide tooth comb, before the actual brushing!

Brushing w/o detangling first is asking for ruined hair.

Madora
January 3rd, 2012, 04:40 PM
I'm curious to see what many of you use for gentle but effective brushing as well. I've read that any brushes with plastic bulbs at the ends of the teeth are no-nos?

Yes, those brushes with the nubs at the ends will destroy your hair.

Brushing your hair and having beautiful results depends on HOW you brush, as well as what you use. Natural boar bristles, coming from nature, understand the structure of your hair. Plastic/nylon brushes generate heat and static, something you want to avoid if you can.

CynthiaK
January 3rd, 2012, 09:09 PM
Boar bristles are easier on hair than cheap plastic brushes and they redistribute oils throughout hair making it shinier. Cheap, plastic hairbrushes are bad for hair, especially the ones with the double bristles(one long; one short) that tear your hair. Boar Bristle Brushes are much better, they make your hair shiny and soft.

Paddle brushes are best for long hair, but before you brush with a BBB make sure you run a quality comb through your hair first. Natural bristles are best for fine to normal hair but if you have thick hair, you may need a reinforced one.

As for the static, after brushing a section I run my hand over it and that usually gets rid of it.

the.fee.fairy
January 4th, 2012, 01:22 AM
I've never managed to get on with a BBB, i've tried and failed so many times. I ended up with so much static it was getting ridiculous.

Luckily, i have hair that rarely need brushing. It just doesn't tangle. I fingercomb when went and then comb with a horn comb when it's nearly dry. The horn comb is natural and according to the Chinese Herbailst it came from makes your hair better.

I got it for Christmas, so i can't give you any definite results yet, but it does say less greys, so fingers crossed!

kaiakai
January 4th, 2012, 02:49 AM
Yes, those brushes with the nubs at the ends will destroy your hair.

Why/how do they destroy hair?

Madora
January 4th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Why/how do they destroy hair?

Those ends catch on your hair and will do major damage. A brush is supposed to interact gently with your hair. Those nubs are a disaster waiting to happen. Also, they're made of plastic, which creates even more static when you use the brush.

wicked kisses
January 4th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Those ends catch on your hair and will do major damage. A brush is supposed to interact gently with your hair. Those nubs are a disaster waiting to happen. Also, they're made of plastic, which creates even more static when you use the brush.

AND when the nubs break/fall off the tips end up scratching your scalp all to hell. Best to only use a good smooth comb. No seams allowed!

Also: Combing while wet/damp will help control static too. And your hair is actually MORE stretchable while wet.

UP Lisa
January 4th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Using ANY comb on my hair is death to it!

nightwish90
January 4th, 2012, 11:51 AM
i've recently bought a wooden brush, and i got the feeling it breaks my hair out less...what do you think about wooden brushes? are they better for your hair? i'd like to hear the experience from someone who's got experience.. i'm just a noobie:D

sbeezy305
January 4th, 2012, 11:57 AM
I was going thru a period where I wasn't brushing my hair at all - it just seemed to break so much more, all I would do is use a wide tooth comb before I shower to detangle. I just bought a BBB today so I am going to start brushing my hair once a day or every other day, but I'm just sooo afraid of brushes, and everything else right now because I really just want LONG hair

PrairieRose
January 4th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Controlling static that comes from brushing is simply a matter of following each stroke of the brush with the palm of your other hand down your hair each time you brush. The brush is the "+" and your hand is the "-", and static is greatly reduced when you brush your hair in this manner.

Good point, thank you:)

Madora
January 4th, 2012, 01:08 PM
I was going thru a period where I wasn't brushing my hair at all - it just seemed to break so much more, all I would do is use a wide tooth comb before I shower to detangle. I just bought a BBB today so I am going to start brushing my hair once a day or every other day, but I'm just sooo afraid of brushes, and everything else right now because I really just want LONG hair

Be sure you gently detangle your hair before using the brush. As a prelude to detangling, you might also want to try fingercombing first. It doesn't take long (just do it gently) and is a great way to separate the strands prior to the actual detangling process.

When you brush, be sure to follow each sweep of the brush with the palm of your other hand. This cuts down on static caused by brushing (a natural thing).

kaiakai
January 6th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Since boars are killed to make most of the boar bristle brushes out there, I was wondering if this sisal brush might be a good alternative. It says good for "short to medium long hair", though

http://www.cebraonline.com/eco-friendly-vegan-sisal-hairbrush-1108-p.asp

UP Lisa
January 6th, 2012, 11:51 AM
I guess it depends on how stiff the bristles are. Hard to say.

Since boars are killed to make most of the boar bristle brushes out there, I was wondering if this sisal brush might be a good alternative. It says good for "short to medium long hair", though

http://www.cebraonline.com/eco-friendly-vegan-sisal-hairbrush-1108-p.asp