PDA

View Full Version : how to air dry?

TammyT
January 3rd, 2012, 02:56 PM
I know this sounds like a dumb question but I work out in the morning and so must wash my hair (even if its CO or something). So how does everyone manage to avoid a hair dryer? I can't imagine going to work with wet hair... How do you do it? Even if I didn't work out in the morning, my hair is all super wonky in the morning and looks like serious bed head unless I really wet it down.

ElusiveMuse
January 3rd, 2012, 03:04 PM
I put my hair in a bun if I have to go out with it wet. Of course, this is the first time I've ever lived somewhere with proper winter so I think that may not be a good solution sometimes... Maybe try one of those microfiber towels that is supposed to dry your hair faster?

TammyT
January 3rd, 2012, 03:07 PM
That may be a great idea - I've looked at them but wasn't sure if they worked well. My life is a circle of boys and men who don't give a diddle about hair so I never have anyone to talk to about these things!

Diamond.Eyes
January 3rd, 2012, 03:21 PM
To dry my hair I first gently sqeeze the excess water out of my hair, then put it up in my turbie twist for about 15 minutes. After that, my hair is about 50% dry and only takes an hour or two to continue drying (mind you that my hair is very thick so yours might not take that long). And I agree with ElusiveMuse , a bun is a great way to dry your hair on the go. Bunning wet hair also produces some pretty nice waves as well. :D

Amber_Maiden
January 3rd, 2012, 03:22 PM
I squeeze out the water, after my shower, then wrap my hair in a towel for a while. I then leave my hair down for the day.

Long_hair_bear
January 3rd, 2012, 03:31 PM
Don't have an answer for you there. I wash my hair at night and braid it so it's dry in the morning.

suzye
January 3rd, 2012, 03:32 PM
Squeeze out hair, put my hair up into a towel for about 15 minutes, take it out, towel dry, and then put it into a braid or bun. If it's too cold out, I cover my head with a hat or scarf while I'm outside. Normally it only takes two hours or so for my hair to fully dry, so after my commute it's not too wet.

I guess I've just gotten used to being comfortable with it while it's drying, even though it's a pain.

pepperminttea
January 3rd, 2012, 03:35 PM
Could you bun it damp, and then let it down to dry when you get back from work? :) Damp bunning makes my hair much softer than air-drying alone.

torrilin
January 3rd, 2012, 03:53 PM
Wash hair, braid, squeeze out water, ignore. That's what I do most days lately. Keeps the handling to a minimum, and a braid is very comfortable for me.

XcaliburGirl
January 3rd, 2012, 04:02 PM
When I had longer hair, I did the damp bun every day.

At this shorter length, I just squeeze out the water with a towel, comb it, squeeze again, and go to work with wet hair. (On the rare occasions where I am in the office.)

Madora
January 3rd, 2012, 04:09 PM
TammyT, this might help:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=223

elfgirl
January 3rd, 2012, 04:14 PM
I gently squeeze out water with the towel after washing my hair and combing it. Then I either put it up in a bun, or braid it in pigtails, and let it dry that way. :) Sometimes I'll leave it down, but it's usually either up or braided. My hair takes about 2 hours in every season except for winter, where it takes around 3 hours to fully air dry.

Mina17
January 3rd, 2012, 04:37 PM
A trick I use, besides the other ones mentioned here, is to clip up sections of hair while it's drying. It lets more air into the layers of hair to dry it quicker and also gives a little volume at the roots.

ellisbell
January 3rd, 2012, 04:37 PM
My hair takes forever to dry so I wash it at night and sleep with a plop on to keep my waves nice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r54bdlLwXnI&feature=relmfu). I notice you have wavy hair so this may work. When I wake up I spritz my hair with water scrunch in some product and diffuse for about a min for body. You can also sleep with it damp in a sock bun, braids or some form of curlers and that would def leave you having nice hair for work in the morning (I recommend the sock bun it is super fast and easy).

jacqueline101
January 3rd, 2012, 04:57 PM
I squeeze out the excess water and towel dry the rest. I monistat oil moisture my hair. I wear my hair in a different style. I apply cocoa nut oil on the ends.

Carissamarie08
January 3rd, 2012, 05:00 PM
I use a hair dryer on a cool setting.

MagicalMystery
January 4th, 2012, 12:07 AM
My hair takes forever to dry! In the summer, I just sit outside and let the sun and breeze do their thing... but in the winter, my hair would turn to ice out there. It's annoying because I hate using a hair dryer, and usually have to stye my hair hours before going anywhere in these cold months. I towel dry as much as I can, which I would probably suggest to you as well. I've also used a portable fan to speed up drying in the past.

Deborah
January 4th, 2012, 10:22 AM
I exercise hard, first thing every morning, but I only wash my hair once a week. The sweat simply dries, and my hair is fine. It really does not need to be washed or rinsed out. And no, my hair does not look or smell funny at all. It's still clean and shiny after exercising.

KwaveT
January 4th, 2012, 08:35 PM
My hair is not all that long yet. I do mine in evening and pat dry with a towel and fingercomb my hair how I want it to dry and leave it alone for it to dry. It takes about three hours to dry. I may have reevaluate my method as it gets longer. Hair clumps in back slowing down the drying process.

KwaveT
January 4th, 2012, 08:58 PM
You might want to look at these older related threads. I knew this topic had been done before since I remember Madora posting her link there too on one of these threads.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=84856

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=84914