PDA

View Full Version : Rut help - bangs? color? an additional 3 feet of length?

Lapin
January 3rd, 2012, 12:43 PM
Hello,

Everyone always has such helpful input, so I figured I would forgo my usual hesitation to plaster my face around the internet and ask for some hair-saavy input.

My hair is just in the middle of a long, awkward stage. I've been annoyed with it for the past year and I've got at least another year to go. :justy:

For years I've rotated between reds and black color, and gone from cute pixies to cute bobs and back again. I just got some pictures in from a recent trip and, man, is my hair boring. Moreover, it isn't flattering! It looks crappy and I'm tired of feeling blah about my hair.

I don't really want to dye it: red henna doesn't have much impact on my hair, and black henna is overkill.

Maybe bangs would add some much needed personality over here?
I used to have a side-swept fringe, but... eh. I'm thinking some classic Marianne Faithful-esque bangs?
http://bleubirdvintage.typepad.com/.a/6a00e554f1ae9388330128768d5c68970c-800wi

Here are pictures of my face. The first one is the one where I realized how thoroughly unflattering and blah my hair is. Plus, I was freezing and having allergy-skin issues, so excuse the ruddiness :(

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7007/6629733529_f22df14d70_z.jpg

and one from the summer
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7003/6629733563_da445bf3a6_z.jpg

and, to thank you, here is a picture of my impossibly adorable puglet.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7001/6629733505_ee5beba9c5_z.jpg

newbeginning
January 3rd, 2012, 01:13 PM
I'm kind of in a rut myself so I understand your pain. I'm contemplating bangs too but as my hair is wavy and I have a widows peak I don't know if they'd work. Have you considered if your texture would suit bangs? I like the inspiration picture (her bangs anyway) but I don't like the sideburns thing she has going on. Your dog is really cute.

Lapin
January 3rd, 2012, 01:52 PM
I have a window's peak and a wavy/curly texture, but somehow bangs usually behave. Maybe that is because, back when I had them, I didn't mind using heat to help. Plus, as far as I can figure, my hair is straighter in the front and on top.

I'll probably just go for it. If it's awful, well... my hair can't be much worse!

RapunzelKat
January 3rd, 2012, 02:09 PM
Well, I actually think you look great in your pics, but I also think the bangs would look great on you! :D And if you decide to grow them out in the future, you could probably shape them into nice face-framing layers.

I don't actually think your hair is boring at all, but I have also had the experience of feeling my hair is just too much the same from day to day. Maybe you could try a few new ways of styling it if you're not ready to commit to bangs yet? I know changing styles helps with my hair blahs. You could try pinning back a few sections, wearing it half up, messy French braid, funky headbands, etc. Just some thoughts if you decide against the bangs ;)

P.S. Your dog is so cute!!! :D

white.chocolate
January 3rd, 2012, 02:40 PM
I understand how you feel because there was a time when I had to grow my hair and it took over a year. I think your hair isn't boring, and your curls are just lovely! Love your dog, too! Bangs, in my opinion, would definitely suit you, and so would longer hair. Good luck!

xoxophelia
January 3rd, 2012, 02:43 PM
I looked through your photos and personally I think you should not cut bangs. Your wave will be enhanced most beautifully if you see the length of it along your face like in one of your photos.

Maybe try some updos and hairtoys for the time being? You can dress up your hair without cutting it ^_^

spidermom
January 3rd, 2012, 02:44 PM
I'm going to vote for an extra three feet of length. As a ii, I'm not sure you have the thickness to spare for bangs, especially with a goal of hip. Maybe if you kept them very thin and wispy. You're at a universally awkward length, and I think the best thing to do is keep your focus on your goal, keep growing, and learn new styles.

Maybe you can play with some fun but temporary colors, something like Manic Panic.

torrilin
January 3rd, 2012, 04:06 PM
I can't really see cutting in bangs. The picture you show is someone whose hair is done to look maybe 1b, so wispy yet sleek is easy for her. I'd also guess that as cut, her hair acts more like a i thickness than anything else. That isn't what your hair will do at all.

(the reason I say "done" is because most straight hair pictures you see are actually straightened wavy or even curly hair. Think of a L'Oreal Feria commercial's "straight" hair and you've got the idea... actual straight hair just doesn't do that.)

IME, it's a lot better to work with what your hair does naturally, and with your own personal preferences. It may always look the same, but there's nothing wrong with having a signature look.

WinterTree
January 3rd, 2012, 07:46 PM
I vote for the three feet of length too :) From the sound of it you haven't had your hair longer than this in a while. If you wait past this stage you may find you like your hair better. And i don't think it's boring either :)

Diamond.Eyes
January 3rd, 2012, 08:07 PM
When I was in the hair stage that you are currently in, I cut my bangs just like that and it make me very happy. It added just the right amount of style to my seemingly boring hair. And may I just say, that your pug is insanely adorable! I have a pug baby too! :p

blondie9912
January 3rd, 2012, 08:22 PM
Personally, I prefer the first of your two photos, where you have more length and less bangs. I think your hair will look lovely long! I would advise against the bangs you posted the photo of, because they're quite thick and difficult to grow out. I used to have bangs like that and they were a royal PITA.

LaurelSpring
January 3rd, 2012, 08:27 PM
That dog is adorable! Thanks for posting that. Awwwwww

As for hair. I vote no bangs. I like the side sept ones and I think unless someone has an unusually long forehead bangs can make a nose look big (imho)

I like the lighter brown color of your hair in the top picture better than the harsher black one. The top one is softer and more flattering I think and looks really nice actually.

As for boring....again imho any short hair is going to be boring just by virtue of the fact that you are pretty limited in your options. This is basically one of the main reasons I like my long hair. I get bored quickly. With longer hair I have an unlimited amount of options every day and I never have a bad hair day! So my advice for that would be to get some toys and clips and start learning some updos and let it grow. It will be tempting at times to want to get the current haircut in magazines but remember that they are a flash in the pan and long never goes out of style.

Lostsoule77
January 3rd, 2012, 08:44 PM
I think you should keep growing. While you looked nice in the second photo your hair was more flattering in the first. The longer your hair gets the prettier it will get. If you want to cut in some bangs I'd suggest you do some longer side swept ones that way if you change your mind it won't take as long to grow out. Your hair is long enough to start playing with some cute styles. Please give that a try. If you really want to color I like Spidermom's suggestion of trying some fun, temporary colors. It'll spice up your style without doing damage.

Good luck and keep us updated. :)

Toadstool
January 3rd, 2012, 10:01 PM
Could you use temporary dye like Manic panic to give your hair some pzazz?
Have you got any pictures of your hair with bangs?

the.fee.fairy
January 3rd, 2012, 10:13 PM
I'm going to vote for a temporary colour to life your hair, maybe like a really dark pink (i like Directions Dark Tulip), or a purple (maybe Directions Plum) - I am biased. These are my two favourite hair colours ever.

And if you really want bangs (a fringe in the UK), then a really light wispy one. I made the mistake of cutting in a heavy fringe when i was younger and it was a pain to grow out, but a wispy one, just a light, few strands is much easier to grow out and it does soften your forehead (not that i'm saying you have a large forehead or anything!!).

Alex Lou
January 3rd, 2012, 10:33 PM
Straight-across bangs would look super cute on you. :) I believe you when you say that bangs behave for you. And anyway, it's okay to use heat on bangs because you will be cutting them frequently to maintain them.

But you don't need bangs. You do not look like a boring person and so your hair does not look boring on you. I can totally understand getting bored though.

Arashi
January 3rd, 2012, 10:43 PM
I think bangs would look great on you, though not quite as thick and heavy ones as in the photo you included. Perhaps bangs that are lighter and wispier and not quite as straight across would be a good place to start, as it would be much easier to go from that to a thick, blunt cut than the other way around.

missdelarocha
January 3rd, 2012, 10:55 PM
I think your hair looks nice! Just keep growing, I think that's really what the problem is, not so much the fringe.
You should definitely try pinning up/braiding some of your hair instead of leaving it just down if you'd like to have it look more styled.

Lapin
January 4th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Hrm, well...

Fun colors are out, sadly. I have a job that requires a conservative, professional appearance: dark pink hair, though awesome, may not impress my boss :D My job is otherwise a dream, so it's worth dressing up every day.

As to losing some thickness, realistically I am a loooong way away from "long" hair (~bsl, imo). If I cut my bangs now:

-bangs until my hair reaches apl (~6 months, fingers crossed!)

-grow the bangs until they are chin-length face framing layers (ffl? are we abbreviating this one yet?), which I would estimate as ~6 months as well, at which point I *might* be getting close to bsl. Bam! BSL with a dash of FFL! I guess from there I would grow 'em out.

Of course, I could hate them. Bangs are, as we all know, terrible to grow out. Ugh, I don't like obsessing, I'd rather DO! Considering I plan is to grow and stay long, right now is my last chance for bangs without greatly impacting my total thickness I'll probably go for it:D

xoxophelia
January 4th, 2012, 08:32 AM
If you are dead set then go for it. The thing is that growing out bangs on hip length or even APL length hair (as you continue to gain length) takes a verrrry long time. Ask me :P

(3 years and counting here)

But if you have had them before and you greatly prefer them then you know what you want. However.. if you have a goal of hip length hair, definitely don't cut them if you will be straightening your wave on even a semi-regular basis to match the bangs. A little heat styling doesn't make a huge difference but the amount we need for straight hair definitely does.

OhioLisa
January 4th, 2012, 08:40 AM
I think your hair is neither blah nor unflattering. The way the waves slightly frame your face is actually quite the opposite. Growing out bangs, however, almost always assures an unflattering point somewhere along the way. I think you're just going through the "my hair will be prettier when..." stage. I agree that maybe you just need to try some new styles or accessories, but more importantly, just learn to love your hair as it is. I think it looks great. :flowers:

Lapin
January 4th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Ack, OK! I will hold off for a bit!

I will get some hair toys going on. I keep buying stuff for longer hair, which doesn't help me at all :rolleyes:

---scampers off to the flexi8 site

Nae
January 4th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Lol I think your hair is cute as can be.

In my humble opinion after growing bangs out, and then cutting them and then growing them out, is that bangs are THE EVIL! But that is just me lol.

sazzie88
January 4th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Maybe you should consider using a clip in fringe for a week and see how you feel about it?

Jessica Simpson has a good range and if you dont like them you can always take them out

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAIR-DO-Jessica-Simpson-clip-fringe-BRAND-NEW-/260928066969?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Hair_Care_Hair_Ex tentions_CV&hash=item3cc0865599

slz
January 4th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Who needs bangs or hair or ANYTHING, when you've got a PUG ??!

/not very helpful

Loviatar
January 4th, 2012, 07:04 PM
PUGLET! Cute overload.

What I would do is get some human-hair clip on bangs. They can be dyed to match your natural colour, hennaed, bleached, whatever. I am not a fan of the synthetic hair bangs as they feel icky on my forehead. Clip-ins are honestly not that noticeable when you have them on. You can get them on ebay, or I have some from a UK online store which will match your colour if you send them a swatch.

Lapin
January 4th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Thank you for all of the puppy compliments :)
I never was a pug person until I got him, and now I'm extremely hooked - they have such fun personalities! They're little sweet grandparents and frisky clowns rolled into one happy little package.

Anyway, the clip-in idea is good, but I am pretty sure I'm just going to ride this urge out... if I find myself just walking into a salon one day, so be it. It's annoying to have this length of hair, but at least bangs won't mess up the ultimate result. I probably should have mentioned I naturally have a million shorter pieces of hair (my widow's peak and right above my ear) so awkwardly-growing-out bangs won't look too out of place.

Lapin
January 5th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Just an ETA that I ordered Henna Sooq's Jamila, and now I will be stalking the mail.

I love coppery reds, and I'm hoping enough of the color will be absorbed into my naturally medium-brown (poop colored, boring!) hair to add just a bit of spice. Plus, y'all rave about henna and the only kind I tried was Lush, which did nothing but stink and take hours and $$$s off my life.

Lapin
January 10th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Just to update, the answer here was color!
I held off on the bangs (:flowers: thank you all!), and put Jamila henna all up on my hair instead. Now my hair is a pretty auburn with bright red/copper highlights. And so healthy!

I'm so glad I'm not fighting with bangs right now...

celebriangel
January 10th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Pictures please? I'd love to see how your henna turned out :)