PDA

View Full Version : Hair headaches getting less common..why?

Curlsgirl
July 14th, 2008, 06:11 AM
I am surprised by this because I still have just as many sinus/allergy problems and have not had a haircut but lately I have been able to wear my hair in updos that used to really hurt my scalp and give me headaches. Today I actually have my hair in a high pony, something I haven't been able to do in YEARS. I have been varying updos lately a lot more and wonder if my scalp is just getting less tender or what. I can't think of anything else that has changed except that I wash much less than I used to (probably once a week). Anyway, I really love it! I may have to take the pony down before the day is over but it's still nice to see I may be getting used to updos!

Anyone else have this happen or found ways to help it happen?

Molster
July 14th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I think it's possible that the scalp can get 'more used' to updo's the more you do them.

I don't know why that should be, but I have found it to be true. When my hair first got to a length (about waist) when it was getting in the way all the time and I decided to wear it up more, I found I'd get 'hair headaches', but it did depend how tightly I'd done the 'do, too! But I barely ever get them now, and I hardly ever wear my hair down. (I can count the times this year on one hand!)

Maybe the little muscles in our scalps get more used to it as we wear our hair up more?!

Curlsgirl
July 14th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I think it's possible that the scalp can get 'more used' to updo's the more you do them.

I don't know why that should be, but I have found it to be true. When my hair first got to a length (about waist) when it was getting in the way all the time and I decided to wear it up more, I found I'd get 'hair headaches', but it did depend how tightly I'd done the 'do, too! But I barely ever get them now, and I hardly ever wear my hair down. (I can count the times this year on one hand!)

Maybe the little muscles in our scalps get more used to it as we wear our hair up more?!

I would say it is something like that. As my hair has gotten longer I wear them most every day, especially in the summer.

danacc
July 14th, 2008, 09:06 PM
My scalp "gets used to" having my hair up. When I try a new place on my head, or sometimes just a new 'do that balances differently, or puts the weight in a different place, my scalp is tender. I take it down when it starts to hurt, and change it to something familiar. I found that I can then try again later int he week, and wear it longer before it starts to hurt.

I don't know if it's tiny muscles or the hair follicles themselves that are reacting. I know that when I part my hair in a new place I can "feel" the different lay of the hair. If I continue parting it there, the hair grows accustomed to laying that way. It seems to me that the scalp tenderness is related to that kind of feel.

Riot Crrl
July 14th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I think the scalp can get used to things but I also think you can learn (even if you don't realize you are) to balance your hair better even in something that seems as "unbalanceable" as a high pony.

Also I believe the roots do get trained to have the hair go back like that. At first it hurts having them bent the wrong way, like danacc is talking about. Anyone that ever didn't shave their legs then tried to wear tights is familiar with this feeling.

Curlsgirl
July 15th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I ended up wearing a pony for almost half the day before having to take it down which is amazing! Then today I wore a simple figure 8 that almost never bothers me and got a headache. Go figure! :rolleyes:

Magicknthenight
July 16th, 2008, 12:46 AM
I agree that maybe you got used to it.:) Just like you get used to wearing clothes and don't feel them all the time. lol I learned it in a class (psychology) but i don't remember what it was called! Something about not paying attention to it and you forget its there...
Anyways congrads! I can go alot longer with my hair up then when i used to too. I think the problem was just..pony tails for some reason:confused:. The other day i wet my hair and heavily oiled it then put it up (figure 8 ) and it seemed heavy but somehow me and my scalp managed:D.
Maybe danacc was onto something and its the scalp muscles reacting. Just like every other muscle in our body adjusts to changes.
I think I can do updos for longer periods of time as long as its not the pony tail! It leaves that bump when i take it down and doesn't prevent tangles too -.-
But congrads again!!

flapjack
July 16th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Hair is so weird. You could have an 8 inch wide ponytail to your ankles, wear it up in a bun and not have a problem, but wearing it in two buns could be the death of you the next day. It's all about how those little hairs and being moved and pressed that causes the pain or the comfort. That's one thing about hair I will never fully understand, haha.

MoonCreature
July 16th, 2008, 03:38 AM
I agree that maybe you got used to it.:) Just like you get used to wearing clothes and don't feel them all the time. lol I learned it in a class (psychology) but i don't remember what it was called! Something about not paying attention to it and you forget its there...

This is actually a neurological thing, the pressure sensors and the sensors of bodyhairs being moved get acclimatized after a while and stop sending impulses to the brain that "there is something on the legs", because there is no danger in it. It's not worth the effort to process in the brains all the time. You feel the clothes when you put them om, you feel them for a minute or so, and then you don't pay attention to it as long as you don't start thinkin "is there something on my scin?"
But if you have an updo that actually pull, and hence causes pain, this doesn't happen. Pain-sensors don't acclimatize (that would be really dangerous), you can ignore it but it still hurts.

What causes updo-headace I don't know. Maybe the fact that the hair pulls a bit, not enough that you know it's hurting but enough to the body to notice? Or the hair being puller to far of it's natural position wich makes the root send out signals that something's wrong. Or the weight distributed in certain ways.

Curlsgirl
July 17th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Thanks everybody! It's fun to hear everyone's opinions. I really am thinking it has something to do with wearing my hair up more often, way more often actually AND also learning to balance it but the ponytail is not able to be really balances so that is not a factor in that. I love being able to be more comfortable with the updos though it's hit or miss, guess that is probably pretty much true with most people though. :)