PDA

View Full Version : Do I condition too much?

Long_hair_bear
January 3rd, 2012, 11:55 AM
Hey all! I love this site and am learning loads thanks to you alls kind advice and support!

Anywho, I wanted to know if you guys think I condition too much? I don't want to overdo it and cause buildup, but my hair is always dry, especially this time of the year. I co wash and leave in condish every other day and cwc once a week followed by another leave in. My leave in counts as my oiling because it's mainly just diluted jojoba oil. The leave ins ingredients go like so: distiller water, jojoba oil, vitamin e, fragrance.

Anyway, what do u chappies think? Am I overdoing it?

Quixii
January 3rd, 2012, 11:57 AM
I think unless your hair shows signs of overdoing it, you're fine. I can pretty much guarantee you that there are people (especially curlies) here who use much, much more conditioner.

HintOfMint
January 3rd, 2012, 11:59 AM
Depends on how your hair feels. Overconditioning and buildup leads to tangles, crunchy ends, dry ends... etc. If everything is going fine, and you don't want the hassle, why change things?

If you're on the fence, a clarifying never hurt anyone. I'd use a clarifying sulfate shampoo unless your scalp has objections. Then condition, and see how your hair responds after that.

I recently clarified even though I wasn't sure I had to, and my hair was like silk after.

becks113
January 3rd, 2012, 12:02 PM
I think if it works for you, then go for it. Do whatever your hair responds well to. My hair loves oil, so I do overnight treatments about every other night. If you start to notice build up, maybe try a clarifying shampoo or baking soda once a week. You just have to figure out what your hair likes the best, everyone is different.

jacqueline101
January 3rd, 2012, 12:02 PM
Its all about what your hair wants.

Long_hair_bear
January 3rd, 2012, 12:04 PM
I might get a clarifying done next week when I go to the salon. My hair dresser has a molasses clarifying treatment and she is pure genius when it comes to hair. :cheese:

Amber_Maiden
January 3rd, 2012, 12:05 PM
I think you should be fine- unless you see actual buildup.

holothuroidea
January 3rd, 2012, 01:12 PM
When my hair is over conditioned it gets limp and mushy (so soft that it feels like you could squish it) and my waves stretch out to 1b. When I comb it, it will stretch and snap very easily. I had this problem recently and using a conditioner with protein in it as my second CWC conditioner made a world of difference. Too much protein can cause similar problems and hair can feel brittle and will tangle easily. It is about finding a balance between them.

Sometimes over moisturized hair can feel dry, so you add more conditioner/oil, which exacerbates the problem. Vicious cycle!

Check your conditioners for 'cones if you haven't, they cause build up. Hair with build up may feel limp, tangley and/or dry and look dull. It may not absorb oil or moisture easily. I don't use cones but I still clarify once a week because that's what my hair needs. More porous hair can tolerate more product. YMMV.

ETA: If your hair likes what you are doing then don't fix it if it ain't broke! Clarifying is a good idea, though.

Long_hair_bear
January 3rd, 2012, 01:15 PM
Oh I'm very certain my conditioners are all cone free. Back in the day, I used to use Sebastian drench deep conditioner till I wised up and read the label. I love that conditioner but it has cones in it, so I stopped using it and opted for something more natural with Shea butter. :cheese:

Kapri
January 3rd, 2012, 01:53 PM
Helpful Holothuroidea ..I have been struggling to get the right conditioning routine and had completely forgotten about cones....

My Philip Kingsley Elasticizer contains Amodimethicone. I need to check up whether that is a soluble cone or a cone that causes build up.

Anje
January 3rd, 2012, 02:14 PM
Well, if your hair seems like it's not getting much softer despite all the conditioning, it might be worth giving it a good clarifying wash. Sometimes feeling like you need to condition heavily comes from having buildup to start off with. But if you've kept an eye out for buildup and remember when you last clarified, I don't think your routine will will necessarily cause you problems and it very well might be right for you.

Both protein-deficient and protein-overloaded hair can feel horribly dry, too. So if your hair acts mushy/stretchy or feels particularly stiff, consider that as a possible source for why you feel you need all the conditioning.

Long_Curls
January 3rd, 2012, 02:19 PM
I am going by your first post so I don't know what your hair type is. Having said that, I always say this for us curl heads, you cannot condition your curls too much. This is especially for those with the tighter and longer curls (e.g my case for a male).

I agree with others, just condition more until you notice signs of overdoing it. Eventually you will find your right spot.

All the best.

AdrianneJean
January 3rd, 2012, 02:22 PM
If your hair likes it do it! it just depends on what works for your hair! :)

Synnovea
January 3rd, 2012, 02:56 PM
Which clarifying washes do y'all recommend?

holothuroidea
January 3rd, 2012, 06:23 PM
Which clarifying washes do y'all recommend?

I wash my hair once with shampoo, rinse it out, then follow with a baking soda rinse (1tsp in 8oz water), and follow that with a 1:4 apple cider vinegar rinse. After that I do an SMT but you could just condition as usual.

I've been meaning to switch to lemon juice instead of ACV but I never seem to remember the lemons at the grocery store. :rolleyes: I have a recommendation that lemons are better for people with hard water.

Maelyssa
January 3rd, 2012, 06:32 PM
Hey all! I love this site and am learning loads thanks to you alls kind advice and support!

Anywho, I wanted to know if you guys think I condition too much? I don't want to overdo it and cause buildup, but my hair is always dry, especially this time of the year. I co wash and leave in condish every other day and cwc once a week followed by another leave in. My leave in counts as my oiling because it's mainly just diluted jojoba oil. The leave ins ingredients go like so: distiller water, jojoba oil, vitamin e, fragrance.

Anyway, what do u chappies think? Am I overdoing it?

I do something similar for my own hair. If it starts looking too greasy or you notice build-up you can try adding in another CWC a week.

Arctic
January 4th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Well, my personal experience, as a long time LHCer is, that new members often get too careful with their hair. I.e. I see your current routine never lets the shampoo to your ends, without conditioner coating them.

I think you could occasionally, maybe once a week or in a fortnight to just shampoo all hair then condition. Or at least shampoo scalp and letting the suds run down the (non-conditioner coated) lengths and ends.

Long_hair_bear
January 4th, 2012, 08:04 AM
I do, at times, after I massage the shampoo into my scalp, take my lightly shampooed hand and run it down my ends.:)