PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article- What your hairstyle says about you.

SoulOfTheSea
January 3rd, 2012, 10:39 AM
I found this on Yahoo this morning, and I thought it was an interesting article.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/758/what-your-hairstyle-says-about-you-according-to-guys

Any feedback about it? I'm curious to read people's opinions. :)

I found the one about the long hair a little... disappointing. :p However, that's up to that guy's taste, my DBF loves my long hair. :D

duchesswannabe
January 3rd, 2012, 10:47 AM
I found this on Yahoo this morning, and I thought it was an interesting article.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/758/what-your-hairstyle-says-about-you-according-to-guys

Any feedback about it? I'm curious to read people's opinions. :)

I found the one about the long hair a little... disappointing. :p However, that's up to that guy's taste, my DBF loves my long hair. :D

I'd like to see what the guys commenting look like. LOL.

Bene
January 3rd, 2012, 10:47 AM
The thing about Glamour is that I suspect a lot of their "guy opinions" are really chicks sitting around thinking up things they think guys would say that would sell their own opinions. "John, 23" is really "Elizabeth, 45" trying to sound like a guy just to get the attention of women who'd fall for this.

I stopped flipping through Glamour when I was 12.

SoulOfTheSea
January 3rd, 2012, 10:50 AM
I'd like to see what the guys commenting look like. LOL.

Perhaps Bene answered your question. ;)

The thing about Glamour is that I suspect a lot of their "guy opinions" are really chicks sitting around thinking up things they think guys would say that would sell their own opinions. "John, 23" is really "Elizabeth, 45" trying to sound like a guy just to get the attention of women who'd fall for this.

Yeah, we honestly never know, right?

SoulOfTheSea
January 3rd, 2012, 10:52 AM
Also, in no way am I taking this article seriously, I just found it interesting. I will continue to grow and style my hair as I please- regardless of what a magazine article says. :)

HintOfMint
January 3rd, 2012, 10:54 AM
Yeah, seriously, "hubba hubba"???? Okay, Perry Como--oh! I mean "Josh 21."

Avital88
January 3rd, 2012, 10:59 AM
who cares about what guys think nowadays anyway?

Bene
January 3rd, 2012, 11:00 AM
I wanna meet Josh, 21 :D That's the guy, I'd buy him a Shirley Temple, and an old timey copy of Playboy, and then drive him back to his mama's basement so he can cry over his D&D source books while he calls up his dungeon master to whine about being Forever Alone.

Yeah, Glamour, you can do better than this :nono: These guys don't exist. And if they do, they suck. REAL men don't care.

SoulOfTheSea
January 3rd, 2012, 11:00 AM
Yeah, seriously, "hubba hubba"???? Okay, Perry Como--oh! I mean "Josh 21."

Oh my word. :laugh:

luxepiggy
January 3rd, 2012, 11:04 AM

This (^(oo)^)v

SoulOfTheSea
January 3rd, 2012, 11:05 AM

Magazines like Glamour know a lot of women do, so they feed on that. Even in Seventeen magazine I see articles similar to this sometimes.

pepperminttea
January 3rd, 2012, 11:14 AM

Agreed. A "real man" opinion? My brother, in his mid/late twenties, took one look at the first photo and said simply "What the eff is that on her forehead?" :p

SoulOfTheSea
January 3rd, 2012, 11:16 AM
Agreed. A "real man" opinion? My brother, in his mid/late twenties, took one look at the first photo and said simply "What the eff is that on her forehead?" :p

Now I'm really starting to think Bene's theory is correct. :D

Amber_Maiden
January 3rd, 2012, 11:22 AM
So I look like I wash my face everyday??? Good. lol

Renate
January 3rd, 2012, 11:22 AM
THIS.

http://l.yimg.com/cv/ip/shop/1111_12_what_guys_think_wavy_hairstyle_li.jpg

It's giving me itches.

Bene
January 3rd, 2012, 11:24 AM
I made my b/f look at the pictures and give me his opinion of the women one by one

Mind you, he's not that most politically correct person out there, but that's why we get along so well :D

1. "Crazy Person"
2. "I get the Dugger-ish vibe from mullets"
3. "Either European or really annoying"
4. "That's not bad"
5. "No. Just no."
6. "Okay, I like that"
7. "I like that one too"
8. "That super part with the flat hair doesn't look cute"
9. "That's alright, but she should do something with it"
10. "[insert expletive]
11. "That's cute"
12. "She doesn't like penis"
13. "Meh"
14. "Meh"
15. "My daddy got me a job at his investment firm and I wanna look like a grown-up, tee hee"
16. "I don't even wanna know"
17. "She doesn't like penis either"

Mind you, I had to MAKE him look at those pictures and give me an opinion on their hair. Otherwise he wouldn't have bothered to think about it.

SoulOfTheSea
January 3rd, 2012, 11:25 AM
So I look like I wash my face everyday??? Good. lol

See, then that man should be happy that the girl is hygienic. ;)

Madora
January 3rd, 2012, 11:30 AM

Truer words were never written, Avital88!

SoulOfTheSea
January 3rd, 2012, 11:34 AM
I made my b/f look at the pictures and give me his opinion of the women one by one

Mind you, he's not that most politically correct person out there, but that's why we get along so well :D

1. "Crazy Person"
2. "I get the Dugger-ish vibe from mullets"
3. "Either European or really annoying"
4. "That's not bad"
5. "No. Just no."
6. "Okay, I like that"
7. "I like that one too"
8. "That super part with the flat hair doesn't look cute"
9. "That's alright, but she should do something with it"
10. "[insert expletive]
11. "That's cute"
12. "She doesn't like penis"
13. "Meh"
14. "Meh"
15. "My daddy got me a job at his investment firm and I wanna look like a grown-up, tee hee"
16. "I don't even wanna know"
17. "She doesn't like penis either"

Mind you, I had to MAKE him look at those pictures and give me an opinion on their hair. Otherwise he wouldn't have bothered to think about it.

That was interesting of you to do, lol. Also, you're right about the making him look at the pictures part, most guys wouldn't think too much about the hair like that in the first place. So Bene, I must say, your theory about these "men" being women is growing on me. ;)

Truer words were never written, Avital88!

And this is why I love the LHC so much. :) Independent women are abundant and inspiring.

jacqueline101
January 3rd, 2012, 11:44 AM
I think those fashion icons are nothing more then lonely people who get paid to express an opinion and to down people who don't act miserable. Like us we are happy with our long hair and they're miserable so they judge us in hopes of spreading meanness.

GlennaGirl
January 3rd, 2012, 11:48 AM
There's no way actual guys were giving those answers. They were all written by the article author. BTDT as an editor.

No guy talks like that, seriously. :p

GlennaGirl
January 3rd, 2012, 11:49 AM
The thing about Glamour is that I suspect a lot of their "guy opinions" are really chicks sitting around thinking up things they think guys would say that would sell their own opinions.

^^ This; oops, should have read through the thread first, sorry, Bene. You are 100% correct.

GlennaGirl
January 3rd, 2012, 11:51 AM

LOL...once DH and I were watching TV and a commercial came on with some gorgeous woman (ETA: who had seriously epic betties, I should have mentioned that) with really, really, really pretty hair. I said to DH, "What did you think of that girl's hair?" and he said vaguely, "Oh, she had hair?"

heidi w.
January 3rd, 2012, 11:58 AM
I think a lot depends on who's doing the looking! LOL

I s'pose I fall into the I don't care, kind of lazy, category. OH well. Can't please everyone, and no one's gonna be everyone's cup of tea all the time.

I generally avoid reading these things, cause I always want to know more about the guy being quoted. I mean, I think that about all surveys. How come I'm never surveyed?! Who are all these people, and why does their opinion matter more than mine?

heidi w.

PinkyCat
January 3rd, 2012, 11:59 AM
“Too. Long. Her hair would get everywhere! Cut a few inches and we’re good to go.” —Tommy, 27

I can't imagine ANY male on the planet saying something like that! This sounds like a woman who is jealous of that gorgeous mane!

SoulOfTheSea
January 3rd, 2012, 12:02 PM
LOL...once DH and I were watching TV and a commercial came on with some gorgeous woman (ETA: who had seriously epic betties, I should have mentioned that) with really, really, really pretty hair. I said to DH, "What did you think of that girl's hair?" and he said vaguely, "Oh, she had hair?"

Oh that's hilarious! :applause:

I think a lot depends on who's doing the looking! LOL

I s'pose I fall into the I don't care, kind of lazy, category. OH well. Can't please everyone, and no one's gonna be everyone's cup of tea all the time.

I generally avoid reading these things, cause I always want to know more about the guy being quoted. I mean, I think that about all surveys. How come I'm never surveyed?! Who are all these people, and why does their opinion matter more than mine?

heidi w.

Agreed!

MandyBeth
January 3rd, 2012, 12:02 PM
Got my DH to look at the first 2, they were so horribly bad, he refused to look further. The response was "WTF is she gluing on her forehead and why?" and "That's just nasty, I'm leaving"

Now realize, to even get him to look at the hair, I had to shamelessly bribe him. I'll shut up now.

constructamane
January 3rd, 2012, 12:03 PM
I don't know.........guys look at the whole package! BUT is does seem they go for the "long enough" look...probably APL to MBL. BECAUSE they are CONDITIONED by the media that that is the perfect length......BUT WE will teach them otherwise!!!!!

SoulOfTheSea
January 3rd, 2012, 12:09 PM
I don't know.........guys look at the whole package! BUT is does seem they go for the "long enough" look...probably APL to MBL. BECAUSE they are CONDITIONED by the media that that is the perfect length......BUT WE will teach them otherwise!!!!!

We sure will! :patrol:

spike316
January 3rd, 2012, 12:11 PM

I kinda agree with him! It looks like it could make a nice necklace, but a bit big for the face. O_o

ArienEllariel
January 3rd, 2012, 12:48 PM
I kinda agree with him! It looks like it could make a nice necklace, but a bit big for the face. O_o

Agreed. When your headband/circlet begins to take up 1/3 or more of your face, it's too big. lol

SoulOfTheSea
January 3rd, 2012, 12:51 PM

Agreed, lol. Circlets are cute but you can't use hair jewelry as a replacement for bangs. :D

Diamond.Eyes
January 3rd, 2012, 01:00 PM
I found this article to be rather stupid. I don't think any men were involved in the creation of this article :p. I don't think men use words like "trendy" or "fashionable" when describing an attractive hair style on a woman. I showed the article to my DF and he thought it was as fake as can be.

duchesswannabe
January 3rd, 2012, 01:34 PM
I think those fashion icons are nothing more then lonely people who get paid to express an opinion and to down people who don't act miserable. Like us we are happy with our long hair and they're miserable so they judge us in hopes of spreading meanness.

And they get paid for writing that crap. Some job.

kaiakai
January 3rd, 2012, 01:38 PM

Now that sounds more realistic.

spike316
January 3rd, 2012, 02:19 PM
I found this article to be rather stupid. I don't think any men were involved in the creation of this article :p. I don't think men use words like "trendy" or "fashionable" when describing an attractive hair style on a woman. I showed the article to my DF and he thought it was as fake as can be.

lol well I do know some guys who talk like that, but they're not interested in women!

swearnsue
January 3rd, 2012, 06:13 PM
I'm still laughing at hubba hubba!

Mesmerise
January 3rd, 2012, 07:10 PM
Yeah, how many guys even say stuff like that UNLESS they're in the fashion industry, and are thus trained to look at hairstyles and stuff?

Your average guy will just look at hair and go, "oh, that's nice..." or whatever (and then only if it's prompted). Yes, I'm sure guys notice hair at an instinctive level, but I don't think they notice details of hair.

Obviously hair adds to the entire "package"... and personally I think I look a lot prettier with long hair, and therefore may be more attractive to men (at least in theory... but my "pretty" is relative... and I'm still rather plain long hair or not lol)... but it's not the details of the hair, it's just the presence or absence of the length.

So yeah, I think most of those comments were faked, because most guys wouldn't respond like that. They'd just be like "oh that's nice" or "that head thing looks stupid" or whatever :p.

julliams
January 3rd, 2012, 07:28 PM
I loved how they thought the girl with short hair will be able to roll out of bed and go in the morning. Is it just me, but I remember having to spend way more time on my hair when it was short just to be able to leave the house looking ok. Now that my hair is long I can literally roll out of bed and go.

kidari
January 3rd, 2012, 07:39 PM
I liked the "real" male responses from this thread- they were hilarious!

piffyanne
January 3rd, 2012, 07:54 PM

"Once you go long, all shorthairs look wrong!"? True! ;)

Im working on my DBF's education now. To his credit, the last three women he dated had long-ish hair, so my task is far easier than some of you ladies have. Also, my hair was hip or TBL when we met, so I've been growing it long under his nose, so he can't notice it as much. He'll wake up one day to a girlfriend with finger-tip-length, and be spoiled for shorthaired women forEVER!!! >rubs hands together gleefully/evilly<

By the way, the only guy I know that truly notices what I do with my hair other than DBF (he "pays attention," as he says) is my gay one. My theory is, if those were really comments from men, ther were gay. My gay friend does the worst impression of a straight man I have EVER seen—he went as "straight" for Halloween, which apparently means "incredibly chauvinist." He kept dropping incredibly over-the-top get-back-in-the-kitchen-type phrases, and I couldn't stop laughing, it was so ridiculous.

He dropped some out-dated bits like "hubba hubba," too. I suspect it was he writing these and trying his darndest to sound straight.

I love him! :)

Lissandria
January 3rd, 2012, 08:18 PM
ROFLMFAO at this thread :applause:rollin:

I absolutely agree that no straight men talk like that and it's made up BS by some overpaid beauty editor for a stupid mag.

PixxieStix
January 3rd, 2012, 08:27 PM
I laughed at this article, it was great!

My FH couldn't care less what my hair looks like as long as I have some. He loves me no matter what but has told me repeatedly I look much better with hair, but he loves me bald too. :P I keep thinking of myself as a long haired girl and am still surprised to see this just past shoulder person staring at me in the mirror. I kind of want to keep my hair up every day for the next year if I can just to do a big "reveal" at the end for him. He's never known me with long hair, but since it's growing slowly under his nose I don't think he'll notice until he wakes up one day and looks at me as I'm getting ready and goes "hey, when did your hair start reaching your hips?!" :D

blondie9912
January 3rd, 2012, 08:35 PM
I can't stand when magazines have this 'what men really think' garbage in them! So annoying. Just yesterday I read a magazine 'revealing what nail colours men prefer'. According to it, "Red is clownish, bright colours look ridiculous...a touch of colour (like pale pink nail polish) is best." I paint my nails once or twice a week, rarely in light pink. They're telling me that when males see my nails all they can think is "She looks ridiculous" or "What a clown!"? Give me a break! This is what ONE man (who may not even be a man, but a 45 year old woman named Elizabeth) says. Why they even bother to print such generalizing and over-hyped opinions is beyond me.

Galadriel'sMane
January 3rd, 2012, 08:35 PM
My DH doesn't care about my hair length as long as it isn't any shorter than collar bone. Then he thinks it's too short. He says that my goal (knee) is too long, but I think he will change his mind once he sees it. His main concern is that he thinks it will get in my way and get caught on things and be an annoyance to me.

I don't care for what the article said about long hair, but I like what it said about nice updos (and I think the photo looked great too). Mainly I like it because I wear my hair up almost every day, only more messy than sophisticated I'm afraid.

Galadriel'sMane
January 3rd, 2012, 08:36 PM
My DH doesn't care about my hair length as long as it isn't any shorter than collar bone. Then he thinks it's too short. He says that my goal (knee) is too long, but I think he will change his mind once he sees it. His main concern is that he thinks it will get in my way and get caught on things and be an annoyance to me.

I don't care for what the article said about long hair, but I like what it said about nice updos (and I think the photo looked great too). Mainly I like it because I wear my hair up almost every day, only more messy than sophisticated I'm afraid.

SoulOfTheSea
January 3rd, 2012, 08:51 PM
I'm glad people are finding this entertaining. ;)

same_as
January 3rd, 2012, 09:20 PM
When I clicked the link I was expecting the article to go in depth about the reasoning behind the ways most men think about our hair. But no, it was just a few quotes from 'John' and other 'guys'. I am offended that there is apparently no rational reason for woman to have pixie-short hair. Just makes me want to grow out my hair even more now :c

the.fee.fairy
January 3rd, 2012, 10:37 PM
I've never met a man who doesn't like long hair!

My ex had waist length hair and the only thing neither of us enjoyed was waking up to find out that our hair had decided to mate in the middle of the night and knotted us together...

Other than that, i've always had positive comment from my male friends about my hair. It's the female friends who make judgemental comments.

AspenSong
January 3rd, 2012, 10:49 PM
I agree with the thought that it's likely possible MEN aren't coming up with these opinions. :p

And funny enough, every male friend I've ever had, every boyfriend, family member and my husband have ALL always been all for a woman with long hair. Like mid-back or longer. Hubby met me with a shorter than a bob haircut, but likes my hair a million times better now!

ericthegreat
January 3rd, 2012, 11:00 PM

You hit the nail on the head. I bet the vast majority of both the 'male' and even 'young female' comments are actually written by a 50 year old woman who has been twice divorced, with two teenaged children that drive her insane. By concocting and writing these opinion pieces, she gets to relive her fantasies of a happier carefree time in her twenties that she only wishes she could have had.

I wanna meet Josh, 21 :D That's the guy, I'd buy him a Shirley Temple, and an old timey copy of Playboy, and then drive him back to his mama's basement so he can cry over his D&D source books while he calls up his dungeon master to whine about being Forever Alone.

Yeah, Glamour, you can do better than this :nono: These guys don't exist. And if they do, they suck. REAL men don't care.

Again, :thudpile:for the best comment of the night!

the.fee.fairy
January 3rd, 2012, 11:20 PM
can't quote...but i'll hedge a bet that the 50-something who writes it also has the 'cake on the head' hairstyle that's been bleached, highlighted and dyed so often that she doesn't know what good natural hair looks like, or feels like anymore,

naturegirl321
January 4th, 2012, 12:00 AM
DOn't really agree, but here it is, http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/758/what-your-hairstyle-says-about-you-according-to-guys

naturegirl321
January 4th, 2012, 12:05 AM
at least they say updos are sexy. Plus, look at people like Kim Khardashian, etc. THEY have long hair.

krissykins
January 4th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Interesting. :p I agreed with a few points, not all.

Kaelee
January 4th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Oh I TOTALLY disagree. Of course, I'm a woman and don't claim to know how men think, even if I AM a tomboy. :)

And short hair is not low maintenance, lol. (well some of it is.) From what I've seen you have to spend a lot of time styling to get short hair to look good. (or maybe that's just my hair...)

Linnykinz
January 4th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Very interesting read, thanks for posting! I'm not sure I agree with these either but hey, to each his own. ;)

At least these are some fresh, outside perspectives. The only thing I'd change about the article is to have more comments per pictures, say 5 guys giving their opinions on each 'do. Otherwise, good food for thought when contemplating new styles!

Linnykinz
January 4th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Oops, seems this article has already been posted in a thread for feedback!

Linnykinz
January 4th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Very interesting read, thanks for posting! I'm not sure I agree with these either but hey, to each his own.

At least these are some fresh, outside perspectives. The only thing I'd change about the article is to have more comments per pictures, say 5 guys giving their opinions on each 'do. Otherwise, good food for thought when contemplating new styles!

discoisntdead
January 4th, 2012, 12:18 AM
I don't care - i'm not going to cut my hair for Tommy, 27.

piffyanne
January 4th, 2012, 12:45 AM
85226 if people want to read the other thread! :)

MonaLisa
January 4th, 2012, 12:55 AM
DBF would agree on these, except for the 'too long' one, and he once told me he doesn't find pixies feminine, although I disagree. Loves hair accessories, thinks it's cute and creative :)

pepperminttea
January 4th, 2012, 02:14 AM
I think this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=85253) is the other thread? :)

Suffice to say I won't be cutting a few inches off to please these "guys". :p

jacqueline101
January 4th, 2012, 03:21 AM
I don't care what men think or anyone else. I decided to grow my hair out to please my self.

piffyanne
January 4th, 2012, 03:25 AM
I don't care - i'm not going to cut my hair for Tommy, 27.

I agree, discoisntdead. Tommy (27) never asked my opinion of his own haircut, so why should I care what he thinks of mine?

nightwish90
January 4th, 2012, 04:35 AM
for me it seems to be written by a woman, for men it's better too long than too short. almost every man loves anything but short hair by women

KwaveT
January 4th, 2012, 11:13 AM
This is hilarious if these are the opinions of men. I agree that I think it is some woman just making up a bunch of opinions that she thinks men will say. Most men don't talk like this. Many men don't even care anything about hair beyond length. They aren't going to pick up on the little details. I notice details about changes in hair. I am no typical man. I spent much of my young life wishing I were a girl. I would not say that I am any model for how other men would behave. I just love noticing hair and everything about it. I have to be careful that I am not staring at my customers sometimes from just admiring their hair.