PDA

View Full Version : S&D- Mission Impossible?

kaiakai
January 3rd, 2012, 06:42 AM
So after posting my damage thread (and thinking that my hair is in pretty good condition), I took a closer look and started finding all these split ends....

I'm curious about S&Ding now. Is it really worth the time or is it ultimately pointless? It seems like I could do this for hours and not find an end to the splits.

Also, for those of you who S&D on a regular basis, how much do you find that it affects your length and/or hemline?

ktani
January 3rd, 2012, 06:51 AM
So after posting my damage thread (and thinking that my hair is in pretty good condition), I took a closer look and started finding all these split ends....

I'm curious about S&Ding now. Is it really worth the time or is it ultimately pointless? It seems like I could do this for hours and not find an end to the splits.

Also, for those of you who S&D on a regular basis, how much do you find that it affects your length and/or hemline?

S&D helps in that splits can catch on other hairs and tangle them, causing more hair stress and sometimes breakage. The key is to figure out why your hair is dry and remedy that - which causes splits. Once you rebalance your hair, it should not split nearly as much if at all.

HintOfMint
January 3rd, 2012, 06:57 AM
If your splits are concentrated in one or two areas, then yes, it makes a difference. Otherwise, I doubt it.

My splits are generally in the underlayer by the nape of my neck, and a patch of hair that grows from a particular area that happens to be particularly wiry and tangles more frequently than other areas. It's pretty easy to limit splits by S&D in these areas. If it were all over, I'd just look to trims.

If it's all over and it runs further up the shaft, then perhaps layers or (this may be unpopular) some sort of treatment that masks splits (cones or oils, whatever--after all, hair is for enjoying) would be best

kaiakai
January 3rd, 2012, 07:01 AM
I was reading the catnip threads (and your articles) with great interest yestedray, ktani.

My hair seems healthy otherwise..? It is shiny and I wouldn't say I have a problem with dryness.

Hmm.

ktani
January 3rd, 2012, 07:03 AM
If you want to try a cheap, easy way to relieve dryness, try a few drops only of mineral oil/white baby oil on damp hair. My friends have tried it and it works. You do not need to mix it with anything else.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

and http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1932949&postcount=32

jojo
January 3rd, 2012, 07:09 AM
I hardly ever S&D as I find it tedious and the more I look the more I find; plus it makes me cross eyed. I prefer to just dust and catch the splits that way, though I am not going near my hair with scissors until May, so time will tell if this was a good choice.

Lifes to short to spent time examining individual hairs for splits and if your hairs not dry then, it should be less likely to split. Just keep it up and maybe use a bit of oil on the ends to prevent any future splits, though some hair like mine which is fine will just split regardless. Its about making the most of what you have!

kaiakai
January 3rd, 2012, 07:11 AM
If your splits are concentrated in one or two areas, then yes, it makes a difference. Otherwise, I doubt it.

My splits are generally in the underlayer by the nape of my neck, and a patch of hair that grows from a particular area that happens to be particularly wiry and tangles more frequently than other areas. It's pretty easy to limit splits by S&D in these areas. If it were all over, I'd just look to trims.

If it's all over and it runs further up the shaft, then perhaps layers or (this may be unpopular) some sort of treatment that masks splits (cones or oils, whatever--after all, hair is for enjoying) would be best

They seem to be all over. Not just at my hemline but also on the shorter hairs up the length. I get these sort of fly away hairs up the length (that I only really notice in bright light). I got a trim (probably about an inch) not too long ago. I oil my hair pretty regularly these days.

Amber_Maiden
January 3rd, 2012, 07:12 AM
I S&D every day, and have done so for a month now. I used to just do it every week, but I have seen much more improvement with doing it every day.

Madora
January 3rd, 2012, 07:16 AM
I S and D every day (20 minutes or so) and believe that whatever damage you eliminate, the better. I guess I'm lucky because I have very strong hair. I find maybe 2 split ends each session..but then that is only a small portion of my mane.

If you have lots of splits, then perhaps a trim to eliminate them would be more beneficial. Personally, if I had a lot of splits/damage, I'd rather get the trim and get rid of them, and know that the hairs could not be split further if left untrimmed. After the trim, then S and Ding every day would help keep things under control.

Nannanej
January 3rd, 2012, 07:20 AM
I have a lot of splits and damage, and I find that S&D-ing often (multiple times/week) really helps. When I do it a lot, I sometimes feel like my hair gets a bit more tapered overall. Then I microtrim. Having kept this up for 4-5 months, I'm beginning to need it less, so now I can cut down and S&D less often.

Madora
January 3rd, 2012, 07:26 AM
They seem to be all over. Not just at my hemline but also on the shorter hairs up the length. I get these sort of fly away hairs up the length (that I only really notice in bright light). I got a trim (probably about an inch) not too long ago. I oil my hair pretty regularly these days.

Apart from splitting from dryness, perhaps the culprit might be what you're using on your hair..i.e. what kind of comb or brush.
Also, are you using hair friendly shampoo and conditioner?

QMacrocarpa
January 3rd, 2012, 07:33 AM
"Ultimately pointless" for me. Occasional self-trims are much more time-efficient (I spend less than 30 minutes per year trimming my hair) and the self-trims don't give me eyestrain and a crazed feeling.

kaiakai
January 3rd, 2012, 07:40 AM
Apart from splitting from dryness, perhaps the culprit might be what you're using on your hair..i.e. what kind of comb or brush.
Also, are you using hair friendly shampoo and conditioner?

Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat?
I usually use coconut oil on my hair before washing (a few hours, overnight, or longer depending on my mood and how much time I have)

I mostly use a paddle brush, and sometimes a wooden comb (when it's not lost, but more often than not it is MIA). I brush as gently as possible from the ends up.

kaiakai
January 3rd, 2012, 07:42 AM
"Ultimately pointless" for me. Occasional self-trims are much more time-efficient (I spend less than 30 minutes per year trimming my hair) and the self-trims don't give me eyestrain and a crazed feeling.

Yeah.... I had dreams of S&Ding last night. And yet.. Now that I've started it is hard to stop...