PDA

View Full Version : The chain bun phenomenon (figure8s turned out wrong)

Juliet's Silk
July 14th, 2008, 05:10 AM
You know, sometimes you want to make a figure-8, but it comes out looking wrong - more like a part of a chain than a woven 8.
I always thought that this happened when you pulled the wrong coil up (or down in my case); and I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with the number of coils you make.

Before, I was able to do a neat f8 without ever getting the chain look. For the past couple of months, though, I'm not able to produce a neat f8, but always get a chain. I'm not doing something different, so I absolutely don't get why it has stopped working. I don't like the chain look, it looks strange and not as intricate as the f8 does. The length of my hair hasn't changed, but the thickness of my ends has increased - this is the only difference between the past, where it was working, and now.
Today, it happened again so I removed the hairstick and simply pulled down the next coil because I thought that this might stop the chain look. It didn't, it just looked like before with two coils at the bottom now.

So, where is the trick in avoiding (or intentionally creating?) that chain look?

Instructions for the figure-8 are here (http://www.bronzejewelers.com/demonstration_pictures.htm) and I think it also demonstrates what I mean - I feel that the instructions come out looking like the chain I'm referring to instead of an 8 without visible "breaks".

Isilme
July 14th, 2008, 05:17 AM
I know what you mean, have you tried not to make the initial bun so tight? Try to make it looser:)

Juliet's Silk
July 14th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Oh wow I've never thought about tightness as a factor.
I usually make my buns extremely tight because I'm paranoid about having them coming down... so at first I thought "that can't be it, I always make them as tight as I can".
But I took the bun down and redid it, this time extra sloppy.
And what do I say, it has helped!

I would never have thought of tightness, really. Now it makes perfect sense that the most perfect figure8 I ever did was a sloppy try of the moment, without thinking much about it because I wanted to try out a hairfork.

Another mystery solved, thanks Isilme! :cheese: