PDA

View Full Version : Calling all curlies on cones!

LadyCelestina
January 3rd, 2012, 04:49 AM
Hello!

I've been wondering how many curlies are here using coney products.I've been CG for a few years but this summer,I slowly eased into using cones on my hair.Now it seems like I will stick to something like mod-CG with amodimethicone and weekly sulphate free shampoo.I've tried going with heavier cones,but my hair doesn't like when I use them for longer than,say,a week,and I'm not willing to use a sulphate shampoo that often.

My question towards curlies on cones:
Have you ever stopped using cones AND later decided to come back to them?
What made you make that decision?
Is your hair better with cones than it was off-cones?

I decided to go back because I get a broader selection of products to use on my hair :).My hair doesn't really change with cones vs. no cones. All I get is better slip and smoothness and maybe a little less frizz.

eezepeeze
January 3rd, 2012, 11:28 AM
Hey, I'm a coney :-) I tried the CG method for about 6 months but was frustrated by the large amount of frizz I was getting. Also, I felt like my hair was a lot drier on the CG method, so I switched back to cones. I need cones! I need the seal they provide on the hair shaft to keep moisture from transfering back and forth and causing frizz.

Products I am loving right now:
Herbal Essences Curl Enhancing Gel
Nexxus split end mender
John Frieda Frizz Ease extra strength
John Frieda Smooth Start shampoo and conditioner
John Frieda Spray Gel

I use all the products together except for the Herbal Essences. I only use than when I want to set my hair in a certain style while it is wet, like on curlers to straighten or a certain braid.

I LOVE the smooth start S & C!! It's one of the best combos I've come across lately. I can really tell a difference in how my hair reacts if I don't use it. Much more coarse and frizzy. I like my hair soft, shiny, with well-defined curls and I will use just about any product to achieve this, except for gross stuff like placenta.

Let's her it for the cones :-)

celebriangel
January 3rd, 2012, 12:07 PM
I can't really use cones, because my hair feels all weird and looks greasy even when it isn't. Also they mysteriously take away my curls, which I don't like.

My hair is frizzier too - or I get more flyaways, or something. I realise this seems to make very little sense. But my hair will coil into happy frizz-free spirals on a conefree condish + oil routine.

LadyCelestina
January 4th, 2012, 12:51 AM
Welcome eezepeeze and hello,celebrianangel!

Hey,eezepeeze,glad you found a combo that works for you!Can I ask how often do you shampoo? :)

MagicalMystery
January 4th, 2012, 12:53 AM
As I posted in another thread, because my curls were so used to cones, when I initially made the switch, my hair acted rebellious by getting brittle and tangled after every use. But as I kept using cone-free products in my hair, it adapted and eventually after a few months, it was healthier than ever before.

In cone products, I used to love using the Herbal Essence Hydralicious line. It made my hair so soft, and smelled like heaven.

julliams
January 4th, 2012, 04:29 AM
Have you ever stopped using cones AND later decided to come back to them? What made you make that decision?
Yes, when I joined LHC I went totally cone-free and six months later my hair was riddled with split ends. So I figured the cones must have been supplying me with some protection against them. I decided to do a mix of cones and cone-free.

Is your hair better with cones than it was off-cones? I am currently using Kevin Murphy Luxury Wash and Rinse. The Rinse has several cones in it but it's not taking the curl out of my hair that many other products do. Dove for example took the curl out within two washes, but the Kevin Murphy is not doing this and my curl is quite nice atm. I would say that my hair is best off with a mix of cones and cone-free.

LadyCelestina
January 4th, 2012, 05:28 AM
As I posted in another thread, because my curls were so used to cones, when I initially made the switch, my hair acted rebellious by getting brittle and tangled after every use. But as I kept using cone-free products in my hair, it adapted and eventually after a few months, it was healthier than ever before.

In cone products, I used to love using the Herbal Essence Hydralicious line. It made my hair so soft, and smelled like heaven.

MagicalMystery,so you went through that period of time where it gets worse before it gets better? Oh,interesting! I can't exactly remember how my hair was when I first switched to no cones,since it was quite a few years ago but I hope my hair will not freak out if I decide to return back to no cones:o

girlcat36
January 4th, 2012, 05:44 AM
I have been cone free for five years. I used cones(unwittingly) for 20 years and it seemed my hair never grew! I finally figured out that it was breaking off.
When I gave up cones in 2006 my hair stopped breaking and was less dry.
I inadvertently used a conditioner with cones last year and I started having breakage again. I checked the ingredients when I realized my ends were breaking again and sure enough there was a cone that I had missed.
My hair is low porosity, so I'm wondering if cones are something that medium- to- high porosity curlies do better with.

MagicalMystery
January 4th, 2012, 04:00 PM
MagicalMystery,so you went through that period of time where it gets worse before it gets better? Oh,interesting! I can't exactly remember how my hair was when I first switched to no cones,since it was quite a few years ago but I hope my hair will not freak out if I decide to return back to no cones:o

I think it had a lot to do with the fact that my hair was extremely damaged at the time. Perhaps my hair was screaming for cones to add a coating to my frail, damaged strands?

Georgies
January 4th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Sigh, I love them and I hate them. Right after a clarifying shampoo I love them! Then after 2 or 3 uses they build up and I hate them! To make it work I'd need to do something like your method - light cones and weekly shampoo. But I'm trying to shampoo less often than that so right now I'm off the cones, we'll see how long it lasts. Just today I was staring at the coney shampoo in the shower and thought - "should I? Should I?!". But I didn't. For now.

dulce
January 4th, 2012, 06:25 PM
I have used Pantene[love their "curly to moisturized "line]Have tried other stuff but always go back!

Lissandria
January 4th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Have you ever stopped using cones AND later decided to come back to them?
I have stopped using cones for the last couple of months. My hair doesn't mind them, but I get better results without them, so at the moment I am cone-free and staying that way.

Is your hair better with cones than it was off-cones?
My hair isn't too fussy, but it is better without cones. Less frizz and much better curls :)

NB I know you are looking more for responses from people who have gone back to cones, but I thought I would add in my experience anyway! :)

eezepeeze
January 4th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Welcome eezepeeze and hello,celebrianangel!

Hey,eezepeeze,glad you found a combo that works for you!Can I ask how often do you shampoo? :)

I shampoo every 3rd day or so. sometimes i can stretch it to 4 or 5 if I wear it up a lot.

Cocoa_Crema
January 4th, 2012, 08:52 PM
I feel that I'm in such a weird stage right now.

Some cones just don't work for my hair at all. Like L'oreal, Pantene, or Herbal essences. They build up to quickly, however they feel real nice after I clarify.

So when I condition I try to stick with a non coney conditioner like Suave naturals, and if my hair is kinda difficult to detangle I'll use some Tresemme coney condish on the ends.

Oh, and right now I normally use a sulfate free shampoo like Everpure...however I don't think I'll be purchasing it again once it runs out. I want to get something healthier and more natural from a health food store.

The reason I say that my hair is in a weird stage is that I'm trying to find a balance between oiling my hair and the conditioners I use.