PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have "split personality" hair?

RapunzelKat
January 2nd, 2012, 11:51 PM
So as I'm trying to learn new styles and getting better acquainted with the best ways to handle my hair, I'm noticing something strange... My hair is super-slippery (getting it to stay in a bun or an updo is still eluding me :rolleyes:). But... It's also tangly! My tangle problem has improved a LOT (only 20-30 minutes to detangle after a wash, woohoo! :D) but left loose or if I'm trying to section it for an updo, my hair tangles like crazy. I can't figure out how it's possible for hair to be both slippery and tangly - it seems like my hair can't make up its mind! :confused: :confused:

Does anyone else have hair with multiple personalities, or is my hair unique? I am slowly learning how to handle it better so I can do styles other than braids, but it's an uphill battle. I would love to hear from others who have similar hair, or if anyone has any suggestions. ;)

I have started daily oiling with EVOO, which my hair loves, and that has helped a *little* with both problems... But I think maybe I just have feisty hair :cheese:

sycamoreboutiqu
January 3rd, 2012, 12:57 AM
Yeah, a bit of two worlds. The top layer can smooth out right away and look only slightly wavy but the underneath ... yikes. It looks like dreads some days. No wonder my hair looks like a huge bush sometimes, there is SO much kinky wave underneath it all.

I wish I could get that super waviness to show on the top but it always smooths down to just a ripple the minute I touch it dry.

I should take a pic - it is really two completely different layers of hair.

Maybe your hair is smooth, but needs a bit of moisture to give it more weight and drape. I found mine lays better than it used to now that I do CO only - add oils when wet - and do leave-ins.
I can feel the "movement" now (length helped that too) whereas it used to just move as one solid unit, there was no drape. It also tangles less.

piffyanne
January 3rd, 2012, 01:03 AM
I call mine "chameleon" hair, because it's got vague waves when I brush it out or let it dry normally, but have begun suspecting it's something like 2c or curlier! (Only time will tell, as well as a regimen involving more scrunching, and less brushing.) :cheese:

Good luck with your chameleon critter! Once we figure out how to care for our hair, it's bound to "tame," right?

pepperminttea
January 3rd, 2012, 01:48 AM
*puts up hand* My hair tends to be both slippy and tangly, and it's a right mixed bag of hairtypes too (1b-2b/2c ish). I never know entirely what to do with it. :p

Mesmerise
January 3rd, 2012, 05:03 AM
My daughter's hair sounds like this... her hair is in a bob, above shoulder length (or just brushing shoulders) she has an undercut to the top of her ears... and it STILL takes a good 15-20 minutes to detangle... and yet her hair is quite silky :confused:.

Mine, on the other hand, doesn't tangle much at all :p. I could have hip length hair and it'd still only take me 1 minute to comb my hair out after a shower!

I can't figure it out... I really can't. For the life of me I can't work out my DD's hair (if I could she'd probably still have waist length hair :p).

(Although I should mention...that my DD probably has 5x as much hair as me!! Okay, that's a slight exaggeration... but errm... not slight enough for my liking).

the.fee.fairy
January 3rd, 2012, 06:54 AM
Mine is split literally above my ears. The top layers are dead straight and the underneath has very loose ringlets.

Luckily, it doesn't tangle (super thick strands), but if i wear a half-up do, it looks like i've taken curling irons to the underneath, and straighteners to the top.

jojo
January 3rd, 2012, 07:25 AM
*puts up hand* My hair tends to be both slippy and tangly, and it's a right mixed bag of hairtypes too (1b-2b/2c ish). I never know entirely what to do with it. :p

dito to this, mine is the exact same! I never quite know how to type mine correctly, it can go from 1b to a 2c from one day to another:silly:

Amber_Maiden
January 3rd, 2012, 07:27 AM
Mine is both dry and oily. Funny huh?

RapunzelKat
January 3rd, 2012, 02:47 PM
I'm glad to learn that I'm not the only one with undecided hair! Sycamoreboutique, I think I will try additional moisture treaments, since the oil seems to be helping a litte. I think I'm going to try some CWC washes or some SMTs to add weight and drape. I think my water here is too hard to go straight CO, but maybe I can try alternating CWC and CO. I will have to experiment! ;)

I call mine "chameleon" hair, because it's got vague waves when I brush it out or let it dry normally, but have begun suspecting it's something like 2c or curlier! (Only time will tell, as well as a regimen involving more scrunching, and less brushing.) :cheese:

Good luck with your chameleon critter! Once we figure out how to care for our hair, it's bound to "tame," right?

Thank you, piffyanne, good luck with yours too! I feel the sme way - If I can just figure out what it wants, I will have "tame" hair again :D I just love the term "chameleon hair," it's perfect!

Long_hair_bear
January 3rd, 2012, 03:23 PM
My hair definitely has a mind of its own. If it doesn't want to go up in an updo, by George it WON'T do it. My hair like making me angry by easily tangling, even in updos. And after all I do to spoil it too.. :rolleyes: I also bluntly refuses to curl unless my masterful hairdresser curls it and puts 50 lbs of hair spray in. I sure as heck can't get it to curl to save my life. My hair is split personality in that it's the bane and glory of my existence. :cheese:

vampodrama
January 4th, 2012, 08:55 AM
My hair is exactly like this too. When you touch it, it's very soft (even the very ends, without any conditioner or oil is very soft), silky, slippery as water on ice...

... and it tangles something fierce! It actually forms tiny little dreads when I leave it down.

I suspect it's due to my hairtype - fine and thin. So it doesn't drape, it floats and the fine floating hair gets all knotted up inside itself.

My hair also seems to think it's curly - because it clumps up in little sections. But since of course it's actually straight, it looks a stringy horror show.

So yeah. Yay for psycho-hair! :D

KwaveT
January 4th, 2012, 10:36 AM
My hair seems to be oily period even though as it gets even longer I suspect my ends to become drier. My hair has different personalities depending on where they are on the head. My hair on top looks like a 1c maybe just loosely wavy. Once I am below my eyes my hair gets its characteristic waviness. My bang pieces are not only wavy but tend to twist but in a loose manner not tightly. It is hard to describe. For comparison it does exactly like tips of hair on the left side of the picture (her right side) in her "true blonde picture" that UltraBella posted the other day. It behaves more this way after about 24 hours after a hair washing. It is straighter right after washing my hair. More waves and twists the longer I go between CO washes. My hair behaves multiple ways depending on where it is on my head.