PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone just keep it simple, wash & condish?

shikara
January 2nd, 2012, 11:11 PM
As my title states, I would like to hear from those who find its better to not oil, or use leave-ins, or detanglers. Just simply wash, cindish, and voila!

akilina
January 2nd, 2012, 11:15 PM
It must work for some. think of everyone who just goes with benign neglect. im sure they just wash condition and forget about it.
I dont think it would work for me though. my hair gets too frizzy and just doesnt feel good unless i do a little something extra

camillacamilla
January 2nd, 2012, 11:24 PM
I don't use any oils or leave ins at all. Just shampoo, good conditioner and that's it. My hair is healthy and growing past my waist at this point.

bubblyredhead
January 2nd, 2012, 11:31 PM
I just use shampoo and conditioner and every now and then a deep conditioner treatment and i am at roughly MBL and healthy

supbanana
January 3rd, 2012, 01:02 AM
I did that my entire life and my hair grew long and healthy (shampooing the entire length, even).

Now I do that, plus heavy oilings and a senna treatment every so often just for the shine.

Alix
January 3rd, 2012, 03:04 AM
I wash and condition my hair every other day, and finger comb.

And thats it, and I'm at WL right now.

Lissandria
January 3rd, 2012, 03:17 AM
There is already a similar thread:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=80604

:)

Bene
January 3rd, 2012, 03:21 AM
I don't think JUST shampoo and conditioner is "simple" If anything, it's relative. Simplicity exists on a continuum. Everybody has their own standards.

Also, some of us do keep it simple, but can't get by on just shampoo and conditioner.

celebriangel
January 3rd, 2012, 03:24 AM
I keep it simple - but not using S&C. I do conditioner + oil.

VONNiiE
January 3rd, 2012, 03:43 AM
I have been doing it simple for as far as I can remember! My hair is just fine! :) I only first oiled my hair about 3 days ago... Just to see what everyone was talking about... It was cool... But I don't really want to get too technical with my hair. Will I oil again? Maybe :)
Sometime I just like looking after my hair, it's fun! :D LOL

StormVixen
January 3rd, 2012, 03:48 AM
I keep it simple - but not using S&C. I do conditioner + oil.

yes CO and Oil :rockerdud

PorkChop
January 3rd, 2012, 04:03 AM
I basically do just shampoo and condition, although i spray a lil bit of leavein conditioner/detangler in straight after my shower, i use it just as a detangler. So nearly totally simple !

Nae
January 3rd, 2012, 06:51 AM
I don't think JUST shampoo and conditioner is "simple" If anything, it's relative. Simplicity exists on a continuum. Everybody has their own standards.

Also, some of us do keep it simple, but can't get by on just shampoo and conditioner.

Bene I love this! You are blowing my mind this morning. I think I need more coffee. I guess it is true though. One man's simple is another man's rocket science.:D

Madora
January 3rd, 2012, 07:34 AM
Keeping it simple sure works for me!

However, I dilute my shampoo and conditioner and shampoo the GM way..i.e. first shampoo is to remove the surface dirt from the hair, second shampoo is to cleanse the scalp. I have added an overnight EVOO treatment on my dry hair the next day.

sun-kissed
January 3rd, 2012, 08:25 AM
My hair routine is very simple, I CO-wash once or twice a week, wear it up every day, braid at night with a very quick massage, microtrim when I please. I've tried babying it with oils and teas and massages, and while it's fun at first, it gets boring easily.

ETA: I guess by simple you were meaning 'normal'? Lol, well my routine is more simple, I have one less step than S&C. :p

Trish in SC
January 3rd, 2012, 09:07 AM
I wish I had a simple routine, but I'm still figuring out what my hair needs/wants. And so, right now, it's very complex for me!

vampodrama
January 3rd, 2012, 09:49 AM
I S&C and that's pretty much that.

I don't use any oils or leave-ins - my hair doesn't need any moisture. It's insane, but I don't even use conditioner every time I wash my hair, simply because my hair never gets dry. I have no idea why, I feel like an alien on those boards! :alien: When I overcondition my hair (which happens all the time, really) it's just lank and greasy and stringy.

I do henna and I do use castor oil on my scalp (but never any oils on my length - it's just impossible)

luthien_belewen
January 3rd, 2012, 10:00 AM
My hair doesn't need too much in the moisture department either! If I leave out the conditioner for a wash or so, my hair doesn't suffer. I usually condition less in the summer when it's humid, but other than that, it's pretty much S & C.

duchesswannabe
January 3rd, 2012, 10:50 AM
I S&C and that's pretty much that.

I don't use any oils or leave-ins - my hair doesn't need any moisture. It's insane, but I don't even use conditioner every time I wash my hair, simply because my hair never gets dry. I have no idea why, I feel like an alien on those boards! :alien: When I overcondition my hair (which happens all the time, really) it's just lank and greasy and stringy.

No, you are not an alien, I just condition regularly now because I want to ensure that the white hairs don't stick out crazy all over and because I am growing out the color processing in my hair and want to make sure the ends don't get dry as they grow out.

I didn't used to have to condition as a young longhair. I would wash it overnight and sleep on a towel.

ladonna
January 3rd, 2012, 11:02 AM
Conditioner and some oil. My dh really likes the wet curly look so over oiling is my current hairstyle.

younghippie
January 3rd, 2012, 11:04 AM
I feel kind like cheating when I come on here and see all of the things people do for great hair.
I just shampoo (with SLS) and condition (with cones) pretty much everyday. I skip some days (maybe 1 or 2) in a week because of my work schedule.
I use no leave-ins, no oils, no deep conditioners and I comb/brush everyday. My hair actually gets ticked at me if I try to do more to it than just wash it. Granted I don't heat style or dye anymore, and I mostly want my hair up and out of my face, so a lazy bun it is most days. My hair likes consistency and routines. I am currently at BCL and my hair has never been happier!

Quixii
January 3rd, 2012, 11:18 AM
Unless I'm trying to do something special, I just shampoo my roots, condition everything, get out of the shower. :)

feb26
January 3rd, 2012, 11:57 AM
I keep it simplish :). I use a godiva 2-in-1 solid bar: shampoo & conditioner in 1 bar (Lush carries it if you're curious).
I clarify once a month with ACV...only use detangler if I need to.
As my hair's quite long and I've been advised to previously, I do use a leave in condish after each wash. Otherwise, that's it.
I don't have the time to play with oils and have heard if used improperly they can be damaging to hair (too heavy, etc).

Do what works for you and if you're happy with the results, that's all that matters! :cheese:

thelittleredfox
January 3rd, 2012, 12:00 PM
I just wash and condition - with quite a natural brand of shampoo, but I don't do anything else.

I very rarely style my hair or make a big effort - I normally just bun it to get it back off my face. I only brush it about once every 2-3 days, I'm terrible!

feb26
January 3rd, 2012, 12:08 PM
I'm the same way with brushing my hair. unless its badly snarled, i try to avoid brushing as it seems to create more tangles!:p

teela1978
January 3rd, 2012, 12:25 PM
Yup. I dilute my shampoo quite a bit which I suppose isn't too "standard", and I comb my conditioner into my length pretty well. And sometimes I skip a day. On rare occasions I'll oil my hair an hour or so before washing, but not very regularly - monthly-ish?

berr
January 3rd, 2012, 12:28 PM
As my title states, I would like to hear from those who find its better to not oil, or use leave-ins, or detanglers. Just simply wash, cindish, and voila!

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_44053aa6.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=44053aa6.jpg)

I can do that until my hair hits waist. As long as I get regular trims and keep it shorter there is really no reason for the extra effort. But.. I'm no longer at waist. And I don't do regular trims since I'm trying to reach terminal. :D