PDA

View Full Version : Spring 2012 Hair Trends

ArienEllariel
January 2nd, 2012, 09:15 PM
Look, amusingly enough, I'd be naturally in style this year:

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/hair-articles/spring-2012-hair-trends#slide-1

wet hair? no problem! :p

overly oiled hair (which honestly I'll never wear out in public down like it's shown here....), it's in style! :lol:

to my not straight yet not wavey hair. funny how trends are changing huh?

aisha.christine
January 2nd, 2012, 09:18 PM
Haha, this is amusing. I couldn't imagine going out in public with my overly-oiled hair. :p
What a funny trend.

caiti42
January 2nd, 2012, 09:19 PM
I really don't understand fashion :-/

ArienEllariel
January 2nd, 2012, 09:22 PM
I really don't understand fashion :-/

me neither... :rolleyes: haha

Zesty
January 2nd, 2012, 09:36 PM
I love the euphemistic term "glistening" for the oily hair. :laugh:

Kira94
January 2nd, 2012, 10:06 PM
What the heck? When my hair looks like that I know I need to wash it. I'd never go outiside like that! :confused:
Glistening? Really? :laugh:

Milui Elenath
January 2nd, 2012, 10:06 PM
Oh no! My hair is so dry I'll never be fashionable :wail: - :p not without the aid of a bottle of olive oil a week.

I might take this opportunity to start converting people to water only, no hiding transition hair - just let it glisten!

aisha.christine
January 2nd, 2012, 10:08 PM
I love the euphemistic term "glistening" for the oily hair. :laugh:

I thought that was funny, too. I showed my DBF and he said "Ew, that's what your hair looks like when you haven't washed it in a week."
Which is unfortunately true. :p

ArienEllariel
January 2nd, 2012, 10:09 PM
Just think, even Grima (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-K7E8vGCogxk/TcFQtDB3JcI/AAAAAAAACNk/mHEPepmf4-w/s1600/Grima+Wormtongue+1.jpg) would be in fashion! :rolling:

Diamond.Eyes
January 2nd, 2012, 10:12 PM
None of those styles were cute. Why would the fashion world try to convince people that this is trendy? The pics looks like my hair after I soak it in oil or have a scalp massage. Not pretty. :bigeyes:

aisha.christine
January 2nd, 2012, 10:19 PM
Just think, even Grima (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-K7E8vGCogxk/TcFQtDB3JcI/AAAAAAAACNk/mHEPepmf4-w/s1600/Grima+Wormtongue+1.jpg) would be in fashion! :rolling:
:spitting:
Haha, I actually laughed out loud with that one. Brilliant. :D
Well placed, ArienEllariel.

spike316
January 2nd, 2012, 10:24 PM
I don't know of any guy that would be attracted to the oily hair stuff. D=

LadyKate
January 2nd, 2012, 10:26 PM
Not a fan of the oily look, but there was a crown braid looking thing towards the end of the slide show that was cute.

ArienEllariel
January 2nd, 2012, 10:31 PM
:spitting:
Haha, I actually laughed out loud with that one. Brilliant. :D
Well placed, ArienEllariel.

Thank you. I showed the hair trend link to a male friend. He said he blames Aragorn. lol :p

prosperina
January 2nd, 2012, 10:34 PM
None of those styles were cute. Why would the fashion world try to convince people that this is trendy? The pics looks like my hair after I soak it in oil or have a scalp massage. Not pretty. :bigeyes:

Really? I didn't like the oily, messy styles (can those even be called styles? silly fashion) but they had some pretty curls and at the end some cute braids. They also had some embellished updoes that were pretty. :shrug:

What bugged me more was the lack of "done-ness" in some of the buns and braids. I know it's supposed to be more "modern" or bohemian or something, but I don't like buns and braids with bits sticking out. I like my hairstyles smooth and put together, and if the runway models being showed had actually healthy hair, they wouldn't have needed to invent (and reinvent) the messy bun.

What I found was funny was some of the descriptions for styling; they so did not match the pictures. Picture 19:
The beachy wave has given way to the urban bend—a loose, louche curve in the hair that’s effortlessly cool and made to look like the models did it themselves. The street-ready style only requires a rough blow dry, subtle curl with the iron, and raking through with the hands to create the right amount of undone-ness.

Um really? The girls in the picture have taken their hair out of their pony tails and shook it out a bit. The vague wave you see in the hair of the girl on the right looks like it was caused by a pony tail band! And if it looks like they did it themselves, it's because they probably did! The pictures weren't even so bad; it's just the pretentious silly commentary.

spike316
January 2nd, 2012, 10:40 PM
Really? I didn't like the oily, messy styles (can those even be called styles? silly fashion) but they had some pretty curls and at the end some cute braids. They also had some embellished updoes that were pretty. :shrug:

What bugged me more was the lack of "done-ness" in some of the buns and braids. I know it's supposed to be more "modern" or bohemian or something, but I don't like buns and braids with bits sticking out. I like my hairstyles smooth and put together, and if the runway models being showed had actually healthy hair, they wouldn't have needed to invent (and reinvent) the messy bun.

What I found was funny was some of the descriptions for styling; they so did not match the pictures. Picture 19:

Um really? The girls in the picture have taken their hair out of their pony tails and shook it out a bit. The vague wave you see in the hair of the girl on the right looks like it was caused by a pony tail band! And if it looks like they did it themselves, it's because they probably did! The pictures weren't even so bad; it's just the pretentious silly commentary.

lol Apparently it takes a lot to make it look like you don't care. =P

aisha.christine
January 2nd, 2012, 10:41 PM
The beachy wave has given way to the urban bend—a loose, louche curve in the hair that’s effortlessly cool and made to look like the models did it themselves. The street-ready style only requires a rough blow dry, subtle curl with the iron, and raking through with the hands to create the right amount of undone-ness.

What I find funny about this is all the styling that's required for this look. Really? you need to blow-dry and curl to get that? I guess you would if your hair was pin straight, but if it's going to look "undone" why even bother with the blow drying?
Fashion is so confusing..:confused:

misspurdy06
January 2nd, 2012, 10:43 PM
Yay, we're in!

akilina
January 2nd, 2012, 10:44 PM
i have to say...yikes!!! i cant stand having greasy hair. -______-

LissaJane
January 2nd, 2012, 11:13 PM
Hehe, "glistening"

AnqeIicDemise
January 2nd, 2012, 11:19 PM
Getting ready in the morning never got so much fun. Grab a pillow, girls, lets have a pillow fight to don the feathers on our hair!

Diamond.Eyes
January 2nd, 2012, 11:26 PM
Nevermind, I lied :p. I like this one. :)
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/4379/braids.jpg
http://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/hair-articles/spring-2012-hair-trends#slide-38

Raiscake
January 3rd, 2012, 02:20 AM
I loved the blowouts and braid updos towards the end. The first batch of pics didn't do much for me. I'd hate to have the wet hair look all day!

I went ahead and looked at the spring 2012 makeup trends (http://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/makeup-articles/spring-2012-makeup-trends) too. Much more interesting. :)

jotekb
January 3rd, 2012, 02:59 AM
I agree it really looks like a all-day well look.

Although it would not work for me because of the length of my hair it would feel extra heavy.
However, Im sure some people will manage to pull it off :D

ladylovecraft
January 3rd, 2012, 04:24 AM
I love how all the people on this forum are all saying 'eewww!' to in-fashion hair when they always try to make real long haired people out to be so gross and nasty. :/

PriscillaCherel
January 3rd, 2012, 04:42 AM
Hehe, i just saw this on the dutch website, http://elle.nl/beauty/trends/Kapsels/Kapseltrend-zomer-2012-wetlook

You can also see the pictures there:) Fun for the catwalk, but I think I only got a wetlook when I get out of the pool or lake!!

terpentyna
January 3rd, 2012, 05:09 AM
Haha, giggled at the "urban wave"... They're making doing nothing trendy, I feel so justified...

jacqueline101
January 3rd, 2012, 05:29 AM
I don't get fashion either its always changing. I like oiling my hair but not that much.

rock007junkie
January 3rd, 2012, 06:28 AM
I really don't get how they come up with these things. Glad to know though that it would be "in style" if I happen to go out with my oiled hair while I'm deep conditioning.

Humbug
January 3rd, 2012, 06:34 AM
Definitely not sure about the "glistening" hair trend! I love the slightly wavy hair though but does it really need curling to get there?! It just seems like styling for the sake of styling to be honest when that look is so attainable without using curling tongs etc... I agree with Diamond.Eyes that the braided updo is really pretty.

kaiakai
January 3rd, 2012, 06:54 AM
Aside from a couple of the updos and a few of the flowy styles, ick. How is a greasy scalp at all fashionable?

Nae
January 3rd, 2012, 07:05 AM
Oh wow. My hair is "glistening" today, which means I better get my butt in the shower. Who knew I was going to be in high fashion for dropping the kids off at school this morning?

vanity_acefake
January 3rd, 2012, 07:12 AM
If you look further down the page on HB you will see Related Stories: secrets to long, thick, shiny hair. It's full of tips I learnt here!
:)

Avital88
January 3rd, 2012, 07:12 AM
i knew i was a trendsetter.. the glistening hair is my look 4 days out of the week, yeey to amla oil :D

holothuroidea
January 3rd, 2012, 07:19 AM
I am going to join the minority here, I appreciate the style. It makes sense for the runway and early morning spring outings. I think it would be a faux pas to see it on the red carpet, though. I also think it would be unreasonable for a person to over-oil their hair to achieve this look.

As someone whose hair looks wet even when it's clean and dry, I am fairly happy with this trend.

I think all of these styles have their own beauty. Although I am having trouble understanding the eyebrow trend in the make up slideshow.

Ninika
January 3rd, 2012, 08:47 AM
Looking at these pictures I envision a couple of very drunk leading fashion stylists discussing the creation of the upcoming hair trends at the Milan fashion week, just the night before the first show.

They got to a point where they were all just proposing the silliest things and one had the idea to try and call super gross and greasy hair "glistening" and declare it the hottest trend. Right now said top stylists are probably rolling on the floor laughing their asses off... :p

Piyo
January 3rd, 2012, 08:52 AM
I liked the slightly damp look if it's done all over, but not just the scalp. On the topic of fashion trends, I sometimes think designers make the ugliest stuff just to see if they can really get people to wear it. haha

This did get me excited for spring though. Must resist the urge to dye my hair...

ArienEllariel
January 3rd, 2012, 12:32 PM
I also noticed on another site that chopsticks/hairsticks are becoming more fashionable this year. Perhaps we'll actually see them in stores now?

holothuroidea
January 3rd, 2012, 12:45 PM
I also noticed on another site that chopsticks/hairsticks are becoming more fashionable this year. Perhaps we'll actually see them in stores now?

Oh, that would be so :joy: :happydance: :joy: !

ArienEllariel
January 3rd, 2012, 01:13 PM
And then of course we've got the braided hairstyles (http://www.schwarzkopf.com/sk/en/home/trendy_looks/hair_style_trends/catwalk_looks/braided-hairstyles.html#4) where people are encouraged to use hair oil to tame flyaways. Interesting huh? :p Never would have thunk it. :rolleyes:

Amber_Maiden
January 3rd, 2012, 01:17 PM

OMG! hahaha!!! Too true!!!!

At least I can now transition in my WO journey and still be in fashion... lol:rolleyes:

suzye
January 3rd, 2012, 04:19 PM
It doesn't make sense that someone out there declares what's "in". It's all opinion. I don't think many people would think that overly oily roots are attractive. :/

fridgee
January 3rd, 2012, 05:37 PM
Most of those styles are what I spend so much effort trying to STOP my hair looking like! Never been one for following trends... not about to start now!

And the whole 'trend' thing is rubbish because most people just wear what they like, very few people are actually going to wear something like that IMO.

Egana
January 3rd, 2012, 05:53 PM
I have stopped paying any attention to fashion - after walking into a department store as seeing ALL the mannequins with my hair, it was a little creepy... I like my differences, thank you very much!

leslissocool
January 3rd, 2012, 06:04 PM
Long hair is fashionable! Where I live, your inundated with hair that's at least at waist. and not many are extensions. a place that sells hair straighteners even recently closed because no one was buying them near my house! So since long hair is in fashion, it's no surprise that oiled hair and half washed, updo's, sticks, just out of a bun hair is coming strong. ETA: I lived in a country obsessed with fashion, and from my experience fashion is very predictable. Like Orange being really big, last time it was this big was 2009, it was out for a while and then it came back in. I don't follow fashion at all, I buy clothes in the colors I like and that's it so I don't like orange and my wardrobe is limited right now :/.

God knows as a long hair I've been sporting that style for a while :o specially the updo's, braids and out of a bun ones!

bumblebums
January 3rd, 2012, 06:34 PM
These pics were hilarious! The make-up ones were no better.

It made me think of how sucky it is to be a runway model. In addition to starving yourself on a daily basis and working horrid hours, you have to put up with hideous makeup and brutal hair styles. A friend of mine who used to be a runway model told me that once they put her hair in such a tight pony tail that it ached for days afterwards, and she lost a ton of hair to it...

silverjen
January 3rd, 2012, 08:51 PM
I dunno, I like knowing what the trends are, even if I don't bother following them. That being said, I am so deeply amused that longhair methods are back "in". 2012 is our year!

One thing I noticed: nary a bang/fringe in sight. Looks like they're out of style again.

I'm also amused at what kind of bangs tend to be in fashion. A couple of years ago it was all about blunt bangs. Then everyone was transitioning to side-swept, which of course become face framing layers. Now, whoosh! Everyone's grown their bangs out. We'll see blunt bangs back in another 5 years or so, and on and on. I'm just waiting for Farrah Fawcett hair to come back.

ladonna
January 3rd, 2012, 09:05 PM
Whoo hoo my dh loves the wet hair look, I've been wearing my hair oiled for a week, I'm finally trendy! My DH asked me a few minutes ago why only my hair looks wet and why I haven't done it to our 2 daughter's hair LOL.

Juneii
January 3rd, 2012, 09:21 PM
I feel like these "trends" are more like "ideas" that are put out on the runway. Sometimes it's a hit, many times it's a miss. Some of the comments I see on here are a little snobby(?), extremely long hair isn't what most people would call fashionable and is often viewed as unkempt and dirty despite how much care is put into maintaining its look. What is attractive is our own personal opinion and differs from person to person. Also, keep in mind that what we see on the runway are exaggerated styles that will be toned down for daily street wear. It's outrageous but it stays in the back of our minds when we are looking for new styles to do or try out.

xoxophelia
January 3rd, 2012, 09:45 PM
I like the fashions. We do have to keep in mind that these are photos of models prerunway and not 100% ready to wear.

I think for the glistening hair a little bit of oil in the hair, tousled, and a bit of a bedhead look is the take away message. Not so much oil it is dripping.

piffyanne
January 4th, 2012, 12:34 AM

Oh, that would be so :joy: :happydance: :joy: !

And then of course we've got the braided hairstyles (http://www.schwarzkopf.com/sk/en/home/trendy_looks/hair_style_trends/catwalk_looks/braided-hairstyles.html#4) where people are encouraged to use hair oil to tame flyaways. Interesting huh? :pinktongue: Never would have thunk it. :rolleyes:

^^My DBF is soon leaving for two months or more (you may well imagine the sad Piffyannes), but now I've got at least SOMETHING to look forward to.^^ >suddenly waaay more chipper< (Also, I'm seeing if I can make him pick up a Tangle Teezer, since he'll be about 30 minutes away from that salon in America that sells them. So that's two hair-related things to keep me happy! Yay!)

By the way, ladonna, where did you find your husband, or did you train him to be awesome like that? I want one like that!

Regarding the wetlook, this one is actually pretty to me, the bandeau helps the look appear intentional: http://elle.nl/var/ellenl/storage/images/beauty/trends/kapsels/kapseltrend-zomer-2012-wetlook/marc-jacobs-s-s-2012/1292017-1-eng-GB/Marc-Jacobs-s-s-2012_reference.jpg

ericthegreat
January 4th, 2012, 01:42 AM
Ahhhh fashion. I guess anything that a 6ft tall, size 0 model does will always be in style, while anyone else who doesn't fit those specific body proportions is just doomed to forever be "ugly" and "unfashionable". ;)

holothuroidea
January 4th, 2012, 07:56 AM
I think a lot of people here are misunderstanding the purpose of fashion design and runway modeling.

This look isn't about an elite few telling women what they should do with their every day lives. It's an artistic expression. I think that most designers would encourage women to do what works for them and never follow trends. And a runway model was never meant to be representative of the average woman.

I get the look for spring, it makes sense to me. I like it. :shrug:

wishywashy
January 4th, 2012, 11:04 AM
fashion is fun :D

ladonna
January 4th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Piffyanne go to California and find a guy that likes Mexican girls. Then you can have long greasy hair,you also have to be a good cook, housekeeper, and want to have lots of kids.

hypersensitive
January 5th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Nevermind, I lied :p. I like this one. :)
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/4379/braids.jpg
http://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/hair-articles/spring-2012-hair-trends#slide-38

Me too, it's quite pretty! I'm not exactly sure how they made the middle braid looks so darn full (lots of tugging?). Anyway, I tried to recreate it:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8049&pictureid=122803

These runway fashions shouldn't be taken literally. They are just supposed to be ideas for inspiration and they need to be adapted for day to day wear. It's still fun to play dress up though ^.^

holothuroidea
January 5th, 2012, 06:31 AM
That's beautiful, hypersensitive! I think I like your version better. :D

Velvet Smoke
January 5th, 2012, 08:13 AM
That is such a gorgeous style hypersensitive. I don't have enough posts to see your version yet. I'll add this to my saved threads to nip back to when I can see pictures :p

Dark Rapunzel
January 5th, 2012, 08:53 AM
me neither... :rolleyes: haha
isn't that what makes it so interesting though? No limits whatsoever!

Amiblue
January 5th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Lol! I guess I shouldn't have washed my hair this morning. After doing heaving oiling over the last two weeks with no time to wash my hair, I was right in style and showing around town. Of course, I had it in a bun with a full cover hat except for yesterday when I didn't care and went in a pony tail with a hat. Lol! Right on. Hehehehehe ;D

FrozenBritannia
January 5th, 2012, 12:30 PM
I like runway looks for the ideas they represent, the back to nature or space age or whatever. Nobody actually walks around like that, runways are all about extremes. The more extreme, the more people talk about it. Basic PR. most 'fashion' people would take one thing from the look, and run with it, be it red lips, or the style of shirt, or just-from-the-shower hair. A lot of the oiled at the scalp looks reminded me of looks that have been popular before, tight and flat at the root then cascading into fullness. They have just changed it up by using oil to get rid of the tight pins and crunchy gel.
There is nothing new in fashion, just old things recycled and vamped.

zombi
January 6th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Ugh, I never like to go out with heavily oiled or wet hair. My hair is so thin that it really looks as if I'm balding if I were to do this. No thanks!

piffyanne
January 7th, 2012, 02:31 AM
Lol! I guess I shouldn't have washed my hair this morning. After doing heaving oiling over the last two weeks with no time to wash my hair, I was right in style and showing around town. Of course, I had it in a bun with a full cover hat except for yesterday when I didn't care and went in a pony tail with a hat. Lol! Right on. Hehehehehe ;D
I know what you meant, but I'm loving the image of "heaving oiling" sooooo much! >paroxysms of giggles<

WinterButterfly
January 7th, 2012, 02:50 AM
I got bored and looked up hair trends. i saw oily hair. weird. I guess that it will encourage people to stop overwashing their locks.

Henrietta
January 7th, 2012, 03:00 AM
Ridiculous as it is, the trend will let me go one day more without washing sometimes, I think :D It will arrive to Poland on Spring 2013, obviously, we are 1 year late with everything- clothes, shoes, nails (this cracking nail polish entered the shops here this summer when I saw girls from UK and USA using it much earlier on YT) and hair too- ombre hair started to appear on girls' heads this autumn.

Kleine Mädchen
January 7th, 2012, 03:05 AM
I dunno, that last picture reminds me of when my dog's hair grows out too much and gets all matted.... I cannot even begin to imagine combing that out. OUCH!

Lissandria
January 7th, 2012, 03:08 AM
Ridiculous as it is, the trend will let me go one day more without washing sometimes, I think :D It will arrive to Poland on Spring 2013, obviously, we are 1 year late with everything- clothes, shoes, nails (this cracking nail polish entered the shops here this summer when I saw girls from UK and USA using it much earlier) and hair too- ombre hair started to appear on girls' heads this autumn.

You think you're behind on fashion? Try living in the Southern Hemisphere ;)

Hairizona
January 7th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Unkempt, lanky, greasy, careless does not equate to stylish IMO.
There is another purpose for these hairstyles being "expressed" and espoused. Fashion is extremely political and is used to socially engineer and manipulate the population as well as to pass along messages to those "in the know".