PDA

View Full Version : a smell-good oil that can be sprayed on hair AND is good for skin?

LaceyNg
January 2nd, 2012, 08:50 PM
i've recently switched to WO washing, and DH says that i smell. :-( i personally dont find the sebum smell bothersome, but i DO like the idea of mixing a little essential oil with water to use as a mist for my hair. and he does have to sleep with me, so i want to smell good for him!

and i figure while i'm at it i'll try to pick one that's good for skin too. :hmm:

so, an oil that smalls nice, preferably something flowery, not doesnt have to be, and is good for skin that's acne-prone, normal-to-combination, and has surface reddness?

i'm thinking rose water, but am open to other suggestions!

thanks in advance, and sorry, mods, if i put this in the wrong place! if i did, please re-direct me! thanks! :)

Diamond.Eyes
January 2nd, 2012, 08:59 PM
If you are looking for a natural oil with scent, I would look into the monoi oil brand. The monoi oil is coconut oil with natural fragrance such as vanilla, jasmine, or gardenia. I've only even tried the vanilla one, and it smelt godly. :)

mktmgt
January 2nd, 2012, 09:04 PM
I second the monoi oil. It might be a wee expensive, but it smells very luxurious. And I'm pretty sure some of the blends have natural spf, so I'm guessing it's good for skin? I like the jasmine one the best. :)

Zesty
January 2nd, 2012, 09:05 PM
I'm interested in responses to this too, since I get a little sebum smell on day 3, despite not being too oily or too flaky by then. So far I've been mixing a little of my conditioner (Garnier Triple Nutrition) with water and spraying it on my roots, but I'd like to look into exactly what you're asking for.

MagicalMystery
January 2nd, 2012, 09:10 PM
If you are looking for a natural oil with scent, I would look into the monoi oil brand. The monoi oil is coconut oil with natural fragrance such as vanilla, jasmine, or gardenia. I've only even tried the vanilla one, and it smelt godly. :)

Mmmm... That sounds heavenly! Argan oil has a nice smell as well. Works on the skin too!

spike316
January 2nd, 2012, 09:12 PM
I'm no expert here so correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're acne prone I don't think monoi oil would be a good idea as monoi oil is basically heat treated coconut oil, right? I don't think that changes the comodogenicy rating which is 4 (out of 5!) for regular extra virgin. Rose oil would be hydrating, so go for it if you need that! But lavender is great for reducing redness, and for it's anti-bacterial properties. The two together would probably be fantastic!

MagicalMystery
January 2nd, 2012, 09:21 PM
I'm no expert here so correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're acne prone I don't think monoi oil would be a good idea as monoi oil is basically heat treated coconut oil, right? I don't think that changes the comodogenicy rating which is 4 (out of 5!) for regular extra virgin. Rose oil would be hydrating, so go for it if you need that! But lavender is great for reducing redness, and for it's anti-bacterial properties. The two together would probably be fantastic!

Oh yes. Lavender oil and rose oil are excellent for sensitive skin!

Diamond.Eyes
January 2nd, 2012, 09:22 PM
When I had monoi oil I used it both on my hair and skin. I never noticed any acne while using it, and I know for a fact that the product is for skin. As far as I know coconut oil is very anti-bacterial and non-comedogenic. I know a lot of people who got rid of their acne with coconut oil; including my sister. I guess you could have some issues if you are allegic to coconut oil?

aisha.christine
January 2nd, 2012, 09:24 PM
Are you looking for a carrier oil in addition to an essential oil?
If you're just looking for the fragrance to add to your water, I would suggest popping over to a health food store and perusing their essential oils. You can always make your own blends, and it would be fairly cost effective. Then you would be absolutely sure on which scent you like.
I do suggest talking to the employees to see if it will cause any allergies, and I would do a skin test, not only for possible allergies, but sometimes oils react with your body's natural oils and can smell different than it does in the bottle.

mktmgt
January 2nd, 2012, 09:29 PM
I'm pretty sure that monoi is not heat-treated. I think it has to be pure to even be considered monoi oil. And it is full of vitamins that are quite healthy for your skin (e, a, c). So I think diamond.eyes is right. I know a lot of Indian ladies who use it on their skin, and they look amazing.

Loviatar
January 2nd, 2012, 09:37 PM
I have redness too, and I would choose either rosewater with a drop of rose otto or rose absolute essential oil added to it, or Monoi oil. I have Monoi de Tahiti and Elemis Monoi Melt. The Elemis one is solid, the MdT is not. I want to make a collection of different monoi oils... the smells are amazing.

gogirlanime
January 2nd, 2012, 09:41 PM
ylang-ylang was the first thing I thought. It's good for controlling sebum like jojoba does and it helps with acne too. It smells DIVINE, it's a natural aphrodisiac so I'm sure someone will like it :D Down side, it's pretty darn expensive, but I find it worth it. It is also very strong in smell so a little goes a long way

spike316
January 2nd, 2012, 09:42 PM
Although some people have success with coconut oil other people like me get absolutely awful cystic acne when it's used on the face. http://www.beneficialbotanicals.com/facts-figures/comedogenic-rating.html there's a link with a bunch of comodogenicy ratings and it rates it at 4 which is super high. I can use coconut oil pretty much anywhere else on my body without a problem, but not on my face it's not an allergy it's highly comodogenic. Feel free to look it up. As far as monoi oil all I could find was this: http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/product.asp?product_id=OILMONUN which states that refined coconut oil is used and any refined oil I've come across is heat treated, not that there's anything wrong with something being heat treated, that's just how I thought they got it to be a liquid because I've always seen it in liquid form in pictures.

misspurdy06
January 2nd, 2012, 09:45 PM
Are you cleaning your scalp properly?

You should massage your scalp for a few seconds then wipe your hands off with a wash cloth. Repeat till you feel your scalp is clean. Also remember to do a final rinse in cold water for as long as you can even if it's for a 3 seconds.<----- That is a very important step.

Diamond.Eyes
January 2nd, 2012, 09:48 PM
Although some people have success with coconut oil other people like me get absolutely awful cystic acne when it's used on the face. http://www.beneficialbotanicals.com/facts-figures/comedogenic-rating.html there's a link with a bunch of comodogenicy ratings and it rates it at 4 which is super high. I can use coconut oil pretty much anywhere else on my body without a problem, but not on my face it's not an allergy it's highly comodogenic. Feel free to look it up. As far as monoi oil all I could find was this: http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/product.asp?product_id=OILMONUN which states that refined oil is used and any refined oil I've come across is heat treated, not that there's anything wrong with something being heat treated, that's just how I thought they got it to be a liquid because I've always seen it in liquid form in pictures.
Your skin must not like coconut oil. I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you. I prefer refined coconut oil for my skin anyways though. If it's unrefined there is more of a chance of bacteria developing in the oil and causing acne.

spike316
January 2nd, 2012, 09:52 PM
Your skin must not like coconut oil. I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you. I prefer refined coconut oil for my skin anyways though. If it's unrefined there is more of a chance of bacteria developing in the oil and causing acne.

Actually coconut oil is naturally anti-bacterial... Again like I said it's a comodogenicy issue, and I can use it anywhere else except the face. It's probably just hard for people lucky enough not to have sensitive skin like yourself to understand. :/

LaceyNg
January 3rd, 2012, 11:51 AM

i would use coconut oil, but it tends to make my hair quite dry :/ and not in a good way, more of a crunchy-ends way :(

and it looks like the monoi oil is kind of expensive! i was hoping to find something cheaper.

thank you for the suggestions, Spike316! i didnt know lavender was good for reddness! i think i might just try the 2 together!

Are you looking for a carrier oil in addition to an essential oil?
If you're just looking for the fragrance to add to your water, I would suggest popping over to a health food store and perusing their essential oils. You can always make your own blends, and it would be fairly cost effective. Then you would be absolutely sure on which scent you like.
I do suggest talking to the employees to see if it will cause any allergies, and I would do a skin test, not only for possible allergies, but sometimes oils react with your body's natural oils and can smell different than it does in the bottle.

i probably will do that when i buy them. i figured i'd pick your all's brains first though to see which oild were nice-smalling AND good for my concerns. :p if it were just an issue of smelling nice i'd have no trouble, but i figure i better use something thats good for my hair and nails too!

do you have any suggestions for making my own blends? i'm assuming the oils arent going to mix well with just regular water?

ylang-ylang was the first thing I thought. It's good for controlling sebum like jojoba does and it helps with acne too. It smells DIVINE, it's a natural aphrodisiac so I'm sure someone will like it :D Down side, it's pretty darn expensive, but I find it worth it. It is also very strong in smell so a little goes a long way

i'll look into this one too! thanks for rec rec, gogirlanime!

Are you cleaning your scalp properly?

You should massage your scalp for a few seconds then wipe your hands off with a wash cloth. Repeat till you feel your scalp is clean. Also remember to do a final rinse in cold water for as long as you can even if it's for a 3 seconds.<----- That is a very important step.

i thought the goal was to work the sebum down the hair shaft? as in, use the fingers to work it down, rather than removing the sebum from the fingers?

i'm currently working up to the cold rinse. lol. it gets cooler and cooler with every shower :)

as far as i know my scalp is getting clean though. its not itchy and after a wash there arent flakes. and my scalp isnt greasy at all after a wash, which is quite suprising to me!

thanks everybody for the awesome suggestions!
i think i'll look at the rose oil and lavender oil and take a sniff of some ylang ylang too while i'm at it.

but please, keep suggestions coming! ;)

jacqueline101
January 3rd, 2012, 11:58 AM
I like argan oil.

Isilme
January 3rd, 2012, 12:06 PM
I would also suggest lavender oil, and I second what spike 316 said about staying away from coconut oil. It was horrible for my face at least.

Amber_Maiden
January 3rd, 2012, 12:07 PM
Argan oil might work! But it's not an EO....

LaceyNg
January 4th, 2012, 01:39 PM
figured i'd give an update, as i ment and picked up the goods today :)

i decided to just try the rost water to start off with, as i dont know much (ok, anything at all) about how to mix an EO with water. you know, since oil and water dont mix. and since i'm WO washing now, i dont want to add a whole bunch of oil to my hair, as i might not be able to get it back off with just water.

i keep hearing from various places that drugstores carry rose water for really cheap, even like $3 a bottle. walmart didnt have any that i could find, and neither did walggreens. so i ended up buying some from whole foods for $11 and some change for 8 fl oz. i figure while i'm using it i can be on the lookout for cheaper stuff. b/c i figure i might as well use it for lots of stuff-- hair, skin, maybe some in the bath, some in my next henna, as an air freshener. rose water is supposedly good for all sorts of things since its antibacterial and moisturizing. we shall see

for anybody curious, heres the kind i got, followed by the ingredients:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=heritage+rose+petals+rosewater&gs_upl=4004l15611l0l15938l30l26l0l3l3l1l405l5244l0 .14.11.0.1l29l0&um=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=997&bih=536&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=14743210872238736962&sa=X&ei=jbYET721HoTY2QXQ5uSvAg&ved=0CHkQ8wIwAw

from the bottle: "Pure, natural essence. From European roses. Popular gourmet flavoring. Use as a perfume or body splash, add to your hair rinse or bath water, or try as a gourmet flavoring. You can also combine with therapeutic oils to make your own unique complexion formula. Certified by periodic laboratory test to be free of pesticide residues. More information on request. Seal of Approval: Not tested on animals. Atomizer mist sprayer. Experience the delicate floral scent of real roses any time of the year! Recommended in the Edgar Cayce readings."

ingredients: Vor-Mag Water (water that has been vortexed and magnetized to raise the energy to a higher vibration that we believe to be more beneficial) and Hydroessential Rose Oil

the scent is stronger than i thought it would be, but not overpowering. i'm glad it isnt too mild. smells just like roses :)

i sprayed a few pumps all over my hair around 11:45am, and its now 2:30ish and i can still smell the roses, although its a fainter smell now. when i turn my head i can catch a whiff of my hair here and there, since its down now. seemed to make my hair feel smoother and a little softer too. i imagine ANY water smoothed over my hair might smooth it down a bit though.

and it doesnt feel oily at all, like i put nothing in my hair at all. if anyone's curious i can use it for a while and then update again later. :eyebrows:

i figure i can always ad some lavender or other stuff to it at a later date.

aisha.christine
January 4th, 2012, 01:52 PM
as i dont know much (ok, anything at all) about how to mix an EO with water. you know, since oil and water dont mix. and since i'm WO washing now, i dont want to add a whole bunch of oil to my hair, as i might not be able to get it back off with just water...

I'm glad the rose water is working for you. :D

As to EOs and water not blending, I often just shake up the bottle. I have a little 2 oz spray bottle that I use, and I fill it up 2/3 of the way with distilled water. I then put a little bit of grapeseed oil (which my skin loves) and a few drops of whatever EO I wish to use. Then I shake up the bottle like crazy and spray it through my hair.
Since you're concerned about WO and oils, I would just use minute amounts of oils in whatever mix you're making. Sorry I couldn't get back to you in a timely manner :(

Hope that helps :)

Mannaz
January 4th, 2012, 03:07 PM
I didn't read the whole thread but this came to mind:

Ylang-ylang EO has a very flowery and almost enchanting scent to it, and it is supposed to moisturize both skin and hair, and I think it's good for sensitive skin too, much like rose is. Works well mixed with jojoba for me. It's also very sensualizing and relaxing.... just sayin' ;)

Would be amazing with rosewater too if you decide to use that!

ETA: ...which I see you did, great that you like it, rose water has so many good uses!

LaceyNg
January 4th, 2012, 04:24 PM
I'm glad the rose water is working for you. :D

As to EOs and water not blending, I often just shake up the bottle. I have a little 2 oz spray bottle that I use, and I fill it up 2/3 of the way with distilled water. I then put a little bit of grapeseed oil (which my skin loves) and a few drops of whatever EO I wish to use. Then I shake up the bottle like crazy and spray it through my hair.
Since you're concerned about WO and oils, I would just use minute amounts of oils in whatever mix you're making. Sorry I couldn't get back to you in a timely manner :(

Hope that helps :)

no problem-- i accept that people have lives outside of LHC :p

i'll try that shake-it-like-hell method then! i'm excited amout making my own mixes! :stirpot:

i've actualy been thinking about using grape seed for my skin. my skin leans more normal than combination though-- do you think it'd be too drying?

I didn't read the whole thread but this came to mind:

Ylang-ylang EO has a very flowery and almost enchanting scent to it, and it is supposed to moisturize both skin and hair, and I think it's good for sensitive skin too, much like rose is. Works well mixed with jojoba for me. It's also very sensualizing and relaxing.... just sayin' ;)

Would be amazing with rosewater too if you decide to use that!

ETA: ...which I see you did, great that you like it, rose water has so many good uses!

i've been thinking about ylang-ylang too, since gogirlanime suggested it. i'd never ealized it was a flowery smelling oil till now!

do you use rosewater as well?

BBdck1
March 7th, 2012, 04:41 AM
LaceyNg, can you give an update on your rosewater/EO oil mix? I also would like something nice smelling for my hair. It starts to smell funny by 2nd day.

How long does the scent last?

Sammich
March 7th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Because of this thread, and diamond.eyes I bought monoi oil, the vanilla scented one. I can't wait till it arrives, bought it off Amazon.

Gahh, hurry up and arrive mr postman! :love: :inlove:

On another note: 1,600th post, WOO!!

BBdck1
March 7th, 2012, 05:34 AM
Because of this thread, and diamond.eyes I bought monoi oil, the vanilla scented one. I can't wait till it arrives, bought it off Amazon.

Gahh, hurry up and arrive mr postman! :love: :inlove:

On another note: 1,600th post, WOO!!

Please update on the result! :D

Sammich
March 9th, 2012, 01:35 AM
Please update on the result! :D

It hasn't arrived yet, I'm so excited. I want to "see" this smell that everyone is raving about. :)

If it doesn't work for my hair, it could always work for my skin... especially since it's like a natural perfume. *Squee* :)

MissDixie
March 9th, 2012, 06:02 AM
It hasn't arrived yet, I'm so excited. I want to "see" this smell that everyone is raving about. :)

If it doesn't work for my hair, it could always work for my skin... especially since it's like a natural perfume. *Squee* :)

I am also very curious about this! I've been on the hunt for a good vanilla scented oil!! I can't wait to hear your review!!

Charasy
March 9th, 2012, 06:07 AM

I have nothing to say but that your hair and the colour is AMAZING! :thudpile: :heartbeat

Sammich
March 9th, 2012, 07:49 AM
I got it today, and it smells gorgeous on the skin. In the bottle, not so much. On my skin, I want to eat it.

It's so healthy too. <3 It seems to make my skin very soft and well moisturized, win win! Squee. :) I got mine from Amazon, kinda overpriced for shipping, but it's so worth it... I can use it as a perfume oil too it seems.

Smells so great!

Kinkycurlygurl
March 9th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I spritz my hair with water at night anyway so I made a 50/50 water+rose water mixture to spritz my hair and body with. I didn't think my sebum smelled bad, but I was a little insecure.

I like the watered down rose water smell because I don't smell too loudly of roses, and it mixes pleasantly with my natural sebummy smell.

i've recently switched to WO washing, and DH says that i smell. :-( i personally dont find the sebum smell bothersome, but i DO like the idea of mixing a little essential oil with water to use as a mist for my hair. and he does have to sleep with me, so i want to smell good for him!

and i figure while i'm at it i'll try to pick one that's good for skin too. :hmm:

so, an oil that smalls nice, preferably something flowery, not doesnt have to be, and is good for skin that's acne-prone, normal-to-combination, and has surface reddness?

i'm thinking rose water, but am open to other suggestions!

thanks in advance, and sorry, mods, if i put this in the wrong place! if i did, please re-direct me! thanks! :)

Mrsbaybeegurl
March 9th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Another one in favor of ylang-ylnag here! It's a beautiful scent by itself and mixes well with other essential oils such as bergamont. It's not all that expensive if you consider how far just a drop goes. I mixed about 10 drops in a water spray bottle and will often freshen up my bedding or even couch with it. I mix it with a carrier oil and use it after I shower and have used it to make henna smell pretty while it's sitting ontop of my head lol It's known to be good for skin and some say it promotes hair health and even growth. It's know for it's calming properties and yes its also considered an aphrodisiac. ;)

It was the first essential oil I ever purchased and has got me kinda hooked on them now.

proo
March 9th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Has anyone tried distilling their own rose oil or essence?

MissDixie
March 13th, 2012, 09:59 AM
I got it today, and it smells gorgeous on the skin. In the bottle, not so much. On my skin, I want to eat it.

It's so healthy too. <3 It seems to make my skin very soft and well moisturized, win win! Squee. :) I got mine from Amazon, kinda overpriced for shipping, but it's so worth it... I can use it as a perfume oil too it seems.

Smells so great!

I can't wait to get my hands on a bottle of this!! However I promised myself to use all the oils I already have before buying new ones!!

tropicalshoes
April 25th, 2012, 02:04 AM
The body shop has a nice monoi!

MagicalMystery
April 25th, 2012, 02:06 AM
Lavender or rose. :) Both smell fantastic and are amazing for the skin.

cremenoir
April 25th, 2012, 09:43 AM
definitely ylang ylang! the scent sooo delicious, and it's used for normalizing sebum production for skin and scalp.

LaceyNg
April 28th, 2012, 09:05 PM
The body shop has a nice monoi!

thanks for this! i'll have to go see what they have :)

Lavender or rose. :) Both smell fantastic and are amazing for the skin.

i started using rose water not too long ago and i do love the smell of it, so i may give the rose oil a shot....

i hear that lavender oil can cause skin irritation though :(

definitely ylang ylang! the scent sooo delicious, and it's used for normalizing sebum production for skin and scalp.

i keep hearing such awesome things about ylang ylang! *puts it on my shopping list*

and now i'm thinking maybe some lemon oil or lemongrass oil (does lemongrass oil smell like lemons too...?)

leilasahhar
April 28th, 2012, 11:38 PM
Redwood Roots Hair nectarMist is awesome..rose water, aloe juice,sea kelp, herbal extracts for hair growth, some oils..smells like walking through a dewy redwood forrest with glowing fairies dusting rose petals and saffron on the earth :) www.redwood-roots.com

coffinhert
April 28th, 2012, 11:55 PM
I have a mister bottle i fill with rose water, then a few drops of jasmine oil and a few drops of sandalwood oil (more jasmine than sandalwood). I think the oils are in a base of jojoba, so really it's jasmine, sandalwood, and jojoba. I put it in my hair and on my face and it smells very delightful. I think perfumes are supposed to have two main notes and then an undernote to tie it together, so jasmine and rose are the floral main notes and sandalwood is the perfect smooth undernote to blend them all together. The cheapest sandalwood oil I found after extensive searching was at Whole Foods.

LaceyNg
April 29th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I have a mister bottle i fill with rose water, then a few drops of jasmine oil and a few drops of sandalwood oil (more jasmine than sandalwood). I think the oils are in a base of jojoba, so really it's jasmine, sandalwood, and jojoba. I put it in my hair and on my face and it smells very delightful. I think perfumes are supposed to have two main notes and then an undernote to tie it together, so jasmine and rose are the floral main notes and sandalwood is the perfect smooth undernote to blend them all together. The cheapest sandalwood oil I found after extensive searching was at Whole Foods.

you have a point about needing more than 1 scent for a perfume! i hadnt even thought about that!

and thanks for the tip about wholefoods-- i certainly wouldnt have thought theyd be the cheapest!

Avital88
April 29th, 2012, 12:01 PM
i secnd argan oil, and u can always mix some essential oil with it if it isnt enough

BlazingHeart
April 29th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I've made my own rosewater and rose oil in the past. It's not very hard, though you do need a lot of roses - enough to cover the bottom of a large pot.

Things you will need:

*1 large pot - stockpots work great for this.
*2 heatproof bowls smaller than the pot
*1 heatproof bowl about the same size as the pot - if you put the bowl right side up on top of the pot, the bowl should be able to create a seal around the edge of the pot. The bottom of the bowl needs to be no bigger than the top of the smaller bowls. If you don't have a bowl that fits this description, the rounded lid that comes with stockpots can be turned upside down to replace this item.
*Lots of roses (several pounds, the fresher the better. Newer roses - ones that have not gone all the way open and started to fade - will work better and provide more rose oil)
*Water (tap water is fine, as this method will distill the water)
*Lots of ice (ice from tap water is fine, as the ice will not touch the finished product)

Put one of your smaller heatproof bowls in the bottom of the pot. Pour water into the pot, up to the same height as the bowl. Flip the bowl over so that the water can get in, and leave it upside down in the center of your pot. Add roses to the pot until they come to the same height as the bowl.

Stack the second smaller bowl on top of the first one, this time right side up (so the base of this bowl will rest on the base of the first bowl).

Put your larger bowl (or the upside down stock pot lid) on top (so you should have a concave thing on top that dips down towards the inside of the pot). Fill this with ice.

Turn on the heat to medium. You want this just hot enough to bring the pot to a low boil or simmer. Keep refilling the top bowl as necessary - it doesn't have to be totally full but it is important that there is always ice in it.

In 20-25 minutes, everything should be done cooking. When you remove the top bowl/lid, you should find that the smaller bowl inside the pot has liquid in it. Dip the rose oil off the top. There will not be much, and it will separate and float on top of the rosewater. What remains is true rosewater.

Rosewater doesn't have a very long shelf life, so I recommend freezing it. Just pour your rosewater into an ice cube tray, and once it freezes, put the cubes in a container or bag that seals, so they don't dehydrate away in your freezer.

~Blaze

BlazingHeart
April 29th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Oh, also - coconut oil is definitely prone to clogging pores. If your skin is sensitive or prone to acne at all, I don't recommend putting it on your skin. Yeah, when you first start putting it on, it feels nice and sinks in quickly, but then you start breaking out...ugh. I had a terrible experience with that.

You can make other 'waters' the way you make rosewater, btw. My favorite is orange blossom water - the smell is heavenly. Orange blossom water is more astringent than rosewater, so it's good for oily skin or scalps. The smell is kind of a citrusy floral. Absolutely my favorite scent, it's delicate and lovely.

~Blaze

jaquelines
April 29th, 2012, 04:17 PM
[FONT="Century Gothic"]figured i'd give an update, as i ment and picked up the goods today :)

for anybody curious, heres the kind i got, followed by the ingredients:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=heritage+rose+petals+rosewater&gs_upl=4004l15611l0l15938l30l26l0l3l3l1l405l5244l0 .14.11.0.1l29l0&um=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=997&bih=536&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=14743210872238736962&sa=X&ei=jbYET721HoTY2QXQ5uSvAg&ved=0CHkQ8wIwAw

from the bottle: "Pure, natural essence. From European roses. Popular gourmet flavoring. Use as a perfume or body splash, add to your hair rinse or bath water, or try as a gourmet flavoring. You can also combine with therapeutic oils to make your own unique complexion formula. Certified by periodic laboratory test to be free of pesticide residues. More information on request. Seal of Approval: Not tested on animals. Atomizer mist sprayer. Experience the delicate floral scent of real roses any time of the year! Recommended in the Edgar Cayce readings."

ingredients: Vor-Mag Water (water that has been vortexed and magnetized to raise the energy to a higher vibration that we believe to be more beneficial) and Hydroessential Rose Oil

the scent is stronger than i thought it would be, but not overpowering. i'm glad it isnt too mild. smells just like roses :)

I use rosewater on my hair and skin. I like the smell and feels nice.
What is bugging me a bit is the description - "european roses" . The bulgarian rose is known to be the best in matter of water/oil products. Something related to the soil.
The cheapest I could found was 10Euro for a 250 ml bottle.
So, when they write "european roses", I feel like they want to trick a bit. Probably is not bulgarian rose, because the bulgarian rose products always mention that, and with them they point in the face that is european roses they are making their products of, but the bulgarian rose is like the best source.

In any case, I warmly recommend rose water for both face and hair. Haven`t tried the oil because my skin tends to have clogged pores when using oils, plus, I had a terrible experience with coconut oil on my skin.

MandyBeth
April 30th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Argan oil is a sun sensitizing oil, not great for skin.

Trader Joe's has a lavender oil body spray, works on my hair also.

LaceyNg
April 30th, 2012, 04:33 PM
I've made my own rosewater and rose oil in the past. It's not very hard, though you do need a lot of roses - enough to cover the bottom of a large pot.

Things you will need:

<snip>

Rosewater doesn't have a very long shelf life, so I recommend freezing it. Just pour your rosewater into an ice cube tray, and once it freezes, put the cubes in a container or bag that seals, so they don't dehydrate away in your freezer.

~Blaze

thanks so much for this! thats a great idea about storing it as ice cubes!!!

and an even better idea to use it for whatever flower, etc i happen to have around! i dont usually have roses around, but the next time i have ANY flower around i think i'll use this! it would make the gift of some flowers even better, knowing i could basically make my own perfume from them :) i wish i had some orange trees close to me!

again, thank you! that was really awesome of you to go through the trouble of typing all that out for me :hifive:

I use rosewater on my hair and skin. I like the smell and feels nice.
What is bugging me a bit is the description - "european roses" . The bulgarian rose is known to be the best in matter of water/oil products. Something related to the soil.
The cheapest I could found was 10Euro for a 250 ml bottle.
So, when they write "european roses", I feel like they want to trick a bit. Probably is not bulgarian rose, because the bulgarian rose products always mention that, and with them they point in the face that is european roses they are making their products of, but the bulgarian rose is like the best source.

In any case, I warmly recommend rose water for both face and hair. Haven`t tried the oil because my skin tends to have clogged pores when using oils, plus, I had a terrible experience with coconut oil on my skin.

i hadnt realized coconut was so clog-prone! i'd always heard that jojoba oil was, but this is the first (well, 2nd :) ) i've heard of coconut oil!

i didnt realize that about bulgarian roses! i just figured they put that they were made with european roses b/c roses grown here in the US are known for not having much of a scent at all. thanks for the info! i feel kind of cheated now. lol. i AM quite happy with it though-- after i used up the 1st bottle i went and bought another, and have been using it daily on my face after my shower. :)

Argan oil is a sun sensitizing oil, not great for skin.

Trader Joe's has a lavender oil body spray, works on my hair also.

i do like the smell of lavender, but i'm hesitant to use it on skin, as it's know to cause irritation... :(