PDA

View Full Version : Soft Water! Please help me!

Mommyof4
January 2nd, 2012, 08:46 PM
We just moved into a new house and our water is SOOOO soft.. My hair looks like it's been caught in a weedeater at my ends :(

My curls don't look right, either.. they're wavy/straw-like...

Do I clarify? Do I condition more? Both?

Someone with some advice, please help!

I can't believe my hair looks like this after one wash :confused:

spidermom
January 2nd, 2012, 08:48 PM
I guess it's all in what you're used to. We have soft water, and I love it. My hair loves it. Hard water - not so much. My hair felt so stiff!

My routine is CWC with diluted shampoo. Perhaps that would work for you?

Mommyof4
January 2nd, 2012, 08:52 PM
I have been a CO because our previous house had hard water.. so maybe it's the lack of shampoo? I'll try CWC..

Arctic
January 4th, 2012, 07:12 AM
I have soft water.

I don't know if you know it, but softness/hardness of the water usually refers only to calcium and magnesium content of the water. This means so called soft water can actually have many other minerals in it. My water seems to have some calsium ADDED to it, some iron, some copper, and from the geological map it might contain other minerals too.

My water is also quite alkaline (the pH of the water is over 8 here), which makes it challenging. You can check the details of your water from your town website (usually) or calling the water company.

In my case I need to use pH balanced products.

Probably your hair gets used to the new water eventually, but you could try clarifying and perhaps even chelating your hair, to remove all the buildup and minerals you might have from your previous place.

Amber_Maiden
January 4th, 2012, 08:00 AM
I have soft water.

In my case I need to use pH balanced products.

Probably your hair gets used to the new water eventually, but you could try clarifying and perhaps even chelating your hair, to remove all the buildup and minerals you might have from your previous place.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Mommyof4
January 4th, 2012, 08:29 AM
I'm viewing my long list of our recent water report.. interesting.. it'll take a few minutes to read..

Anje
January 4th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Most folks like soft water, but I think it can make hair fluffier because it rinses so much. You do need to make sure you rinse longer, because soaps and detergents don't interact as strongly with soft water as they do with hard water.

For your curls, honestly, I'd say you should try using a leave-in conditioner or gel to make your hair clump back up a bit.

Mommyof4
January 4th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Okay.. so it turns out.. the were NO reported calcium or magnesium levels AT ALL for my area.. but there was chlorine, flouride, radium, cyanide, lead, nickel, sodium, and some water "cleaners"... Too bad we don't have City-owned water distillation for everyone.. it would make my $150 water bill seem more worth it lol..

I called the Water Director and told them about what I'm experiencing. I also asked how come a few miles away, there is no chlorine smell, when at our other home, it was so strong that it was bothersome....

Answers from him:

I am farther away from the Treatment Tank, so the chlorine is broken down more. (Yay, I hate chlorine) He's not sure why my water is cloudy.. but he said it all comes from the same tank. The water is SO different.. but oh well.

Mommyof4
January 4th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Most folks like soft water, but I think it can make hair fluffier because it rinses so much. You do need to make sure you rinse longer, because soaps and detergents don't interact as strongly with soft water as they do with hard water.

For your curls, honestly, I'd say you should try using a leave-in conditioner or gel to make your hair clump back up a bit.

I just needed shampoo... It's the first time since joining LHC that I've actually felt it was totally necessary.. :o

It is definitely fluffier lol.. but it's fine.. I'm oiling to help my curls look pretty :D

Mommyof4
January 4th, 2012, 08:58 AM
I guess it's all in what you're used to. We have soft water, and I love it. My hair loves it. Hard water - not so much. My hair felt so stiff!

My routine is CWC with diluted shampoo. Perhaps that would work for you?

After using some garnier pure and clean shampoo.. my hair feels great :D It's poofier and fuller, but hey, that's what I'm going for, especially when I get some good length to it :cheese:
Thanks for the tip :) And you're right, my hair is much softer :D I guess I just had some buildup :/