PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated - Nearly no Growth in 1 Year

Siowiel
January 2nd, 2012, 05:24 PM
As the title says, I am really frustrated and also sad right now.
I decided not to measure or trim for one year, but I knew my hair hadn't grown much, and today, I measured, and it has only grown 2cm (not much more than one inch) in a freaking year!
Might be 1cm longer because I measured it dry and after braiding, but it is far from the 12cm it should be in a year.

I am afraid I that I have reached terminal at hip, which would be not unheard of. My hair is rather thin at the ends, but of course, I am hoping it has been breaking off or stalling for an extremely long time.

Basically, I just wanted to vent, because I always dreamed of extreme lengths, and that just won't be. :wail:

caiti42
January 2nd, 2012, 05:31 PM
I can imagine how frustrating this is for you. Maybe if it is quite thin and you have not been trimming that your hair has broken off at the ends and it has in fact been growing. Maybe try trimming this year instead of no trims and see if you get any progress in the next 12 months.

swearnsue
January 2nd, 2012, 06:01 PM
I think caiti42 has a good idea, trim a bit this year and see if that helps. Maybe you can try some other things too, like oiling the ends every week. Coconut oil is used by many, it soaks right into dry hair.

jacqueline101
January 2nd, 2012, 06:22 PM
You could trim and do monistat that has helped my hair.

torrilin
January 2nd, 2012, 06:44 PM
Was that a year of no scissors at all, ever? Or was it a year of search and destroy, but no other trimming? For me at least, split ends lead to a lot of tangles and breakage and I can easily see that much breakage causing apparently slow growth. (admittedly, my hair is fine, so it often seems like it breaks if you look at it funny)

I'd also look at how you comb or brush. I do ok with boar bristle brushes, or with wooden combs, or with my fingers. I've got to work from the bottom up, and it's best if I save tools for immaculately dry hair. Wet hair really doesn't get on with much besides conditioner and finger combing. My fingers are more sensitive than a comb, so I don't have as much breakage.

Siowiel
January 2nd, 2012, 06:53 PM
I do S&D on occasion, but I do not have many split ends. Personally, I do not have the impression that my hair is breaking of, although I nearly hope for it, if I comb, the vast majority of hairs has the little root-bulb on, so they did not break off, but fall out. I have no white dots etc.. and my ends aren't dry. I will not trim in the future, either, this is a decision I made for myself that last year.

Do not brush, use a wooden comb without seams, use oil, albeit more often than once a week and keep my hair up pretty much all of the time. *sigh*
I said it is frustrating...

I'll try monistat if possible, I'll have to see if there is an equivalent on the German market that can be had without a prescription.

twopoints
January 2nd, 2012, 08:16 PM
How many hair are you shedding each day? Perhaps that and your thickness down the length can give you a clue about your terminal length. Most importantly, rule out any medical reasons why your hair has not grown. Sometimes growth stalls because of nutrient deficiency, medical conditions, etc.

Fairlight63
January 2nd, 2012, 08:36 PM
Do you do scalp massages? they feel so good! I put on some music, I bend over at the waist & massage my scalp until song is over. I think that it helps.

spidermom
January 2nd, 2012, 09:01 PM
Hair can be weird that way. In 2010, my hair was growing so fast that I could practically watch it happen. Then I cut back 7 inches at the beginning of 2011, and growth has poked along ever since, much slower than usual. I figure that it must be my shorter, newer hairs that are growing, and when they get longer than my current longest hairs, I will see growth again. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Siowiel
January 3rd, 2012, 06:21 AM
I do scalp massages now and then, but so inconsistently that it can't do good, this is one of my new year resolutions...

Thanks twopoints I will get counting, I didn't consider that yet. From feeling, I'd say I shed about 70/80 a day, but what is feeling in these matters - I'd also say my hair is soooooo thin while it really isn't.

Hm, perhaps my current longest hairs are also old and near to falling out, fairytaleends and so. Giving me SOME hope. ;)

torrilin
January 3rd, 2012, 09:23 AM
Well, it's not like you had 2 cm 3 years ago, and 0 cm since. Then I'd definitely worry you were at terminal. But 2cm over a year, that's still some growth.

heidi w.
January 3rd, 2012, 09:37 AM
This can happen. The OP speaks of thinning at the ends and so on. I wonder that the OP might need a blood screen for some form of thyroid, or anemia, perhaps? Even a borderline case can pose problems for hair growing.

Hair breaking off was mentioned. Is it occurring a lot?

heidi w.

pepperminttea
January 3rd, 2012, 11:18 AM
2cm is still something, at least. :) If not a growth stall, could it be a false terminal? Do you have any significant old damage - bleach, dyes, abusive detangling, perming/relaxing, etc.?