PDA

View Full Version : Boar bristle brush.... Soft or hard?

Long_hair_bear
January 2nd, 2012, 03:57 PM
Howdy do!

I was looking around on eBay at boar bristle brushes since I don't have one yet and am looking to buy. Now, I am somewhat confused. They have hard bristle ones and soft bristle ones. Which do you guys use? Which is better for oil and sebum distribution? :confused:

katsrevenge
January 2nd, 2012, 04:04 PM
I like my softer one. Yes, I do have to separate my hair into sections more then I might have to with a stiffer one but it doesn't seem to snag as easy.

Long_hair_bear
January 2nd, 2012, 04:20 PM
I like my softer one. Yes, I do have to separate my hair into sections more then I might have to with a stiffer one but it doesn't seem to snag as easy.
I see u live in pa... So do I! Where in pa?

katsrevenge
January 2nd, 2012, 04:23 PM
Near Scranton. You?

Madora
January 2nd, 2012, 04:27 PM
I prefer a medium stiffness, which alas, will lessen with age. All natural (no plastic) boar bristle brushes distribute your hair's natural oil.

I would strongly urge you to shop for your bbb in person. That way your fingers can feel the stiffness (or lack thereof) and also feel how the brush fits in your hand. Some brushes are more ergonomically made than others.

Also, the length of the bristles can play an important part in how well they interact with your tresses. Some bristles are longer and thicker, while others are shorter and more flexible.

Whatever bbb you select, always detangle your hair first before using it. Keep it squeaky clean and remove all the loose hairs from it after use.

A good bbb need not cost a fortune either. Places like Walgreen's, Target and K-Mart have them.

Also, be SURE your boar bristle brush is NOT a rounded brush. The round brush is intended for short hair.

Good luck! Boar bristle brushes are wonderful for leaving your hair soft and shiny.

Amber_Maiden
January 2nd, 2012, 04:30 PM
I prefer hard. It's to my understanding that harder BBB's are for people with thicker hair and softer ones for people with thinner hair.

PrairieRose
January 2nd, 2012, 04:39 PM
I was using a harder BBB and it ripped my fine hair to shreds. I use a softer BBB now....much better!

Tea Lady
January 2nd, 2012, 04:43 PM
I like the harder ones. I have two I had bought at Sally's, I think, but they were too soft, in spite of my not-so-thick hair. They are now much adored by my cats, who just love to be brushed with them. My own BBB is a Mason Pearson, which is firmer than the others. It is everything I want in a brush!

Tea Lady

constructamane
January 2nd, 2012, 04:47 PM
Madora...what about us fine hair people/ I would imagine soft-med would be less apt to break hair?

Baileygirl
January 2nd, 2012, 05:40 PM
I prefer the soft and yes you should make sure you clean often

swearnsue
January 2nd, 2012, 05:56 PM
I have two bbb. One is too stiff and one is too soft. However, when I'm oiling my hair the soft one works pretty good. It goes through the oily hair better than when my hair is not oiled.

Long_hair_bear
January 3rd, 2012, 08:25 AM

I live near Gettysburg. :)

jojo
January 3rd, 2012, 08:29 AM
Madora...what about us fine hair people/ I would imagine soft-med would be less apt to break hair?

A BBB is the kindest brush for hair, as it is made from boar bristles the notion of hair on hair prevents breakage. Any brush which claims to be a pure BBB and causes breakage id question if there are other bristles mixed in for e.g. nylon.

I have very fine hair and since using a BBB (last April) my hairs condition has improved 100%. I have no damage from using it and highly recommend investing in a good quality one which is 100% Boar bristle, no nylon. Nylon generates heat and may cause weakening of the hair shaft.

I have a mason pearson which has medium bristles, I use this for my 2 brushing sessions a day and I have a cheaper softer one which I use for smoothing buns down.

I really enjoy my medium bristle one, it feels really good on my scalp and since using I get better growth. Remember though a BBB is not a tool for detangling, a comb does this job. A BBB's job is to distribute natural oils and keep the scalp healthy.

Madora
January 3rd, 2012, 08:54 AM

My hair is moderately fine, constructamane. It is the way you use the bbb that makes all the difference! It is not just a question of putting brush to hair and then brushing downwards.

You detangle with a wide tooth comb, then brush in the bent at the waist position, from the nape down to the ends. Of course, if you prefer to brush standing upright, there's nothing wrong with that. It is just that with the bent position you also get the added benefit of better circulation while brushing, and the hair is easier to reach (at least for me).

ratna00
January 3rd, 2012, 09:21 AM
Hi

I am a new member...I have a very dry course curly hair and looking to buy a BBB.I have read on the internet that for curly hair we are not supposed to use 100% BBB instead use 50% boar and 50% nylon brushes..Is that true? Any suggesions?any advice would be appreciated..Thanks in advance..

AngryVikingGirl
January 3rd, 2012, 07:34 PM
Another question...How to clean a BBB? Simply with water? I've got a bit of a weird feeling about wetting it as the handle is made of wood. Will it dry properly?

Madora
January 3rd, 2012, 07:37 PM
Hi

I am a new member...I have a very dry course curly hair and looking to buy a BBB.I have read on the internet that for curly hair we are not supposed to use 100% BBB instead use 50% boar and 50% nylon brushes..Is that true? Any suggesions?any advice would be appreciated..Thanks in advance..

If you are a curly, then a wide tooth comb might be a more hair friendly option.

The nature of curly hair makes it difficult to deal with when brushing..you have to be very, very careful. Using a wide tooth comb might be easier for you, but you still need to do it gently and slowly. Finger combing before detangling is always a good idea.

Madora
January 3rd, 2012, 07:42 PM
Another question...How to clean a BBB? Simply with water? I've got a bit of a weird feeling about wetting it as the handle is made of wood. Will it dry properly?

My bbb has a wooden handle also. I wash my bbb every day..a quickie wash like this:

I wet the brush with cold water, then add a little bit of Neutrogena soap to a nail brush until it is sudsy, then briskly rub the nail brush into the rows of bristles.

Rinse well in cold water, then shake it out and fan the bristles several times with my fingers to remove excess water. The wooden parts of the brush are then wiped down with a towel. The brush is placed bristles side down on a lint free cloth.

For a longer soak (not more than 7 minutes), get a tall plastic cup, dilute a teaspoon of your shampoo with 10 oz of warm water. Immerse the bristles (not the handle) in the cup for 7 minutes, then rinse well with cold water. Fan the bristles several times to remove the excess water, towel off the wooden parts, and place it bristles side down on a lint free cloth.

Do NOT place it in direct sunlight!

AngryVikingGirl
January 3rd, 2012, 08:04 PM
Oh thanks!

blondie9912
January 3rd, 2012, 08:17 PM
I prefer hard. It's to my understanding that harder BBB's are for people with thicker hair and softer ones for people with thinner hair.

I would agree. I once brushed a family friend's little girl's hair (about 5 years of age) with a verrrry soft BBB, so soft that it didn't irritate my skin at all when brushed against it, and it went right though her fine hair easily without snagging :)

Long_hair_bear
January 5th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I finally cracked and bought one today. $3 at Walmart. Yes, it's 100% bb. I checked first. :cool:

UP Lisa
January 6th, 2012, 07:42 AM
I have only managed to find one BBB in my life that has been soft enough for my hair. Other than that one, I can only use a baby brush. Anything else just rips my hair to shreds. I have ordered several brushes that I was not able to use.

EtherealDoll
January 10th, 2012, 04:13 AM
I prefer soft. It takes a lot of time because I have to divide my hair into small sections but the harder brush literally ripped my hair :(

Neneka
January 10th, 2012, 04:35 AM
I have been fearing to use BBB to my fine hair but I haven't really thought that there is also softer brushes and baby brushes too... I have to think about this again. :)

luthien_belewen
January 10th, 2012, 07:48 AM
I prefer a soft BBB. I used to have a hard one that literally hurt my scalp and hair. My soft one is very gentle as long as I don't scrape it through my hair. I like the idea some people have of using a baby brush, will have to look out for one of those!

sun-kissed
January 10th, 2012, 08:07 AM
A BBB is the kindest brush for hair, as it is made from boar bristles the notion of hair on hair prevents breakage. Any brush which claims to be a pure BBB and causes breakage id question if there are other bristles mixed in for e.g. nylon.

I have very fine hair and since using a BBB (last April) my hairs condition has improved 100%. I have no damage from using it and highly recommend investing in a good quality one which is 100% Boar bristle, no nylon. Nylon generates heat and may cause weakening of the hair shaft.

I have a mason pearson which has medium bristles, I use this for my 2 brushing sessions a day and I have a cheaper softer one which I use for smoothing buns down.

I really enjoy my medium bristle one, it feels really good on my scalp and since using I get better growth. Remember though a BBB is not a tool for detangling, a comb does this job. A BBB's job is to distribute natural oils and keep the scalp healthy.I must ask, how do you get the brush to touch your scalp? My medium/soft brush sits on the surface of my hair, and it is very hard for me to ever touch my scalp with the bristles, even with my fine, moderately thin hair. Since switching to a BBB I've taken to using my TT once a week to massage my scalp, but I don't particularly like the feeling of the plastic or the heat that it generates..

Another question...How to clean a BBB? Simply with water? I've got a bit of a weird feeling about wetting it as the handle is made of wood. Will it dry properly?I clean mine with all natural shampoo under warm/hot water about once a week. I simply get it wet, applly the shampoo, and the lather it and rinse under the sink. The wood has a seal on it, so I don't worry too much about water damage.

Long_hair_bear
January 10th, 2012, 08:35 AM
I love my new Bbb. I have used it now for maybe 5 days and can tell a positive difference in my hair! It was only $3 too, so well worth the money. I bought it at Walmart and it's called an evolve styling brush, 100% Bbb. It feels soooo good on my scalp!