PDA

View Full Version : white vinegar rinse?

gothicchick
January 2nd, 2012, 11:53 AM
i've bought some white vinegar to do a rinse (i'm blonde) just wondering how much i need to dilute it, and how i use it, poured over my head? just lenghts? leave in? rinse out?

etc...

spidermom
January 2nd, 2012, 11:58 AM
As with most things, you will probably need to experiment a bit to find out what works best for you. Lately, I use a splash of WV (maybe 1 tablespoon) into a super-gulp sized cup (I think it holds about 1 quart). Then I fill the cup with warm water and drop my length into the cup first, then slowly pour what is left in the cup over my scalp and hair. I leave it in for about one minute, then rinse. I don't like vinegar scent very much, so I don't leave it in. I believe that some people do, however.

Oh, and I only use it once every week or two. Other people use it every wash or in place of a wash.

gothicchick
January 2nd, 2012, 12:00 PM
As with most things, you will probably need to experiment a bit to find out what works best for you. Lately, I use a splash of WV (maybe 1 tablespoon) into a super-gulp sized cup (I think it holds about 1 quart). I drop my length into the cup first, then slowly pour what is left in the cup over my scalp and hair. I leave it in for about one minute, then rinse. I don't like vinegar scent very much, so I don't leave it in. I believe that some people do, however.

Oh, and I only use it once every week or two. Other people use it every wash or in place of a wash.

ok i see, so you don't dilute at all?

Amber_Maiden
January 2nd, 2012, 12:08 PM

Definitely dilute it.

PrairieRose
January 2nd, 2012, 12:08 PM
As with most things, you will probably need to experiment a bit to find out what works best for you. Lately, I use a splash of WV (maybe 1 tablespoon) into a super-gulp sized cup (I think it holds about 1 quart). I drop my length into the cup first, then slowly pour what is left in the cup over my scalp and hair. I leave it in for about one minute, then rinse. I don't like vinegar scent very much, so I don't leave it in. I believe that some people do, however.

Spidermom, what is the reason people use WV? Is it only because of the lack of color for blondes or is there another benefit to WV?

ktani
January 2nd, 2012, 12:10 PM

You need to dilute it or it can be damaging over time. Try 1 tsp to 24 oz of water to start, leaving in on the hair for 30 seconds to one minute and rinse it out. Recipe and method by Maluhia.

gothicchick
January 2nd, 2012, 12:11 PM
Definitely dilute it.

how much do i dilute?

ktani
January 2nd, 2012, 12:11 PM
how much do i dilute?

See above - that recipe wprked well.

gothicchick
January 2nd, 2012, 01:04 PM
You need to dilute it or it can be damaging over time. Try 1 tsp to 24 oz of water to start, leaving in on the hair for 30 seconds to one minute and rinse it out. Recipe and method by Maluhia.

ahh i see, thank you :)

gothicchick
January 2nd, 2012, 01:05 PM
See above - that recipe wprked well.

whoops! sorry, didn't realised i posted that twice...:p

ktani
January 2nd, 2012, 01:21 PM
whoops! sorry, didn't realised i posted that twice...:p

LOL, either did I, lol. No worries, :)

PennyLaneDream
January 2nd, 2012, 01:55 PM
I have also wanted to try a white vinegar rinse but am wondering if there is anything that can combat the smell? I tried it once before and found that the smell lingered in my hair...not pleasant

spidermom
January 2nd, 2012, 02:07 PM

Oh yes, of course I do. I put my splash of vinegar in the cup and then fill it with warm water. Sorry I left that out.

By the way, I've used vinegar full strength from the bottle to assist in loosening lice nits, and it did no harm whatsoever. Full strength is only 3%.

I use white vinegar because apple cider vinegar gives red tones.

spidermom
January 2nd, 2012, 02:10 PM
I have also wanted to try a white vinegar rinse but am wondering if there is anything that can combat the smell? I tried it once before and found that the smell lingered in my hair...not pleasant

My 1 tablespoon WV in 1 quart of warm water doesn't leave a scent in my hair. If you try this and it leave a scent, try doing the vinegar rinse first and then use conditioner. That might work.

Carolyn
January 2nd, 2012, 02:14 PM
I do similarly to SM. I use a glug (I'm guessing maybe 2T) in 2-3 cups of water. I'm not a meticulous measurer. I think WV smells a lot less than ACV but the main reason I use it is I am an ashy blonde who wants to stay ashy. I do everything I can to fight warm or reddish tones. The smell never lingers once my hair is dry. Maybe some hair is more porous and retains the scent longer. I dunno really.

jacqueline101
January 2nd, 2012, 02:34 PM
I wet my hair put very little in and rinse out. I didn't dilute it. I figured the water on my head diluted it enough.

PennyLaneDream
January 2nd, 2012, 08:20 PM
My 1 tablespoon WV in 1 quart of warm water doesn't leave a scent in my hair. If you try this and it leave a scent, try doing the vinegar rinse first and then use conditioner. That might work.

Thanks! I can't remember the exact measurements I used last time but I'm pretty sure my problem was that i used way too much vinegar. Can't wait to give this another try!

LaceyNg
January 2nd, 2012, 09:41 PM
i'm also curious to know if white vinegar has other specific benefits besides just not adding warm toes to hair over time.... :hmm:

gothicchick
January 3rd, 2012, 12:17 AM

i'm gunna try mixing mine with some EO's that should get rid of the smell

gothicchick
January 3rd, 2012, 12:18 AM
Oh yes, of course I do. I put my splash of vinegar in the cup and then fill it with warm water. Sorry I left that out.

By the way, I've used vinegar full strength from the bottle to assist in loosening lice nits, and it did no harm whatsoever. Full strength is only 3%.

I use white vinegar because apple cider vinegar gives red tones.

ahh i see, ok :)

gothicchick
January 3rd, 2012, 12:19 AM
i'm also curious to know if white vinegar has other specific benefits besides just not adding warm toes to hair over time.... :hmm:
it's meant to add shine

LaceyNg
January 3rd, 2012, 08:41 AM
it's meant to add shine

ohhhh, ok-- thanks!

xoxophelia
January 3rd, 2012, 08:46 AM
I dilute mine about 1 part vinegar to 10 parts water in a bowl. Then I put my ends and the length that I can into the bowl and move it around in it with my fingers. After that I pour the rest over my hair and massage it in a little. I let it sit for a minute or two and do a quick rinse.

There are other ways but if you follow this to start you should get OK results.

gothicchick
January 3rd, 2012, 08:53 AM
ohhhh, ok-- thanks!

i think it's also supposed to help close the cuticle :)

gothicchick
January 3rd, 2012, 08:54 AM
I dilute mine about 1 part vinegar to 10 parts water in a bowl. Then I put my ends and the length that I can into the bowl and move it around in it with my fingers. After that I pour the rest over my hair and massage it in a little. I let it sit for a minute or two and do a quick rinse.

There are other ways but if you follow this to start you should get OK results.

ok thanks :)