PDA

View Full Version : Who else must use bobby pins for updos?

shikara
January 2nd, 2012, 10:36 AM
So sticks, claws, forks, hairpins - you get it - dont work for updos for me. The only thing that seems to work real well is bobby pins. Usually my style is sectioned, rather than pins needing to hold up one bun. I wore a braid the last few days instead, but they can really be a bit bothersome too, especially in the winter with coats and scarves, and purse straps, and seat belts..... What do you do when the more 'hair friendly' bun securers dont work for you?

Long_hair_bear
January 2nd, 2012, 10:41 AM
I actually have the same problem. I can't easily get hairstiks to hold my hair, so I always end up using metal free hair ties or bobby pins. Maybe I just can't master the hair stick technique. :confused:

heidi w.
January 2nd, 2012, 10:42 AM
For ages I couldn't use a hair stik because it turned out, I didn't know any updos that a stick would secure and hold, all day. Finally, I had a couple of friends show me some alternative updos, and finally sticks worked. I find that two-pronged hair sticks work even better, offering more secure hold.

IF I want an updo without a hair stick, then it's back to bobby pins and long bobby pins, traditionally referred to as hair roller pins.

I only know one updo where I can kind of work the hair to hold the hair up or out of my face, but that's the only one I know.

Anyway, yep, I use bobby pins, and I pin as I go. I don't form the updo and then pin it. IF I do it that way, it just falls out, from the center first.

heidi w.

HintOfMint
January 2nd, 2012, 11:13 AM
I'm a spin pin convert, so I've never felt the real need for forks or sticks or amish pins. The only reason I've wanted a hair fork is so I can do the "one pull and hair comes tumbling down" move.

When a hairstyle requires more than spin pins, I've had no compunctions about using bobby pins.

gogirlanime
January 2nd, 2012, 11:31 AM
I use one to hold my bangs up when I workout :p

jacqueline101
January 2nd, 2012, 11:33 AM
I have layers and its necessary for my hair.

LaurelSpring
January 2nd, 2012, 12:01 PM
I have been going back to using bobby pins lately. I notice we have a similar hair type and I am also having trouble getting things to stay, especially now that my hair is so much longer. It seems like fine hair + length = falling updos. Lately, out of necessity, I have been doing more braiding and using bobby pins as I go also. Mostly just pinning pigtails around my head.

It would be nice to have this thread morph into some pictures or instructions on doing more of these types of updos. I am just now trying to get a grasp on this and would love to see some more suggestions and advice. Heidi w., I was wondering what your updo was. Would you please share?
Thank you

spidermom
January 2nd, 2012, 12:06 PM
I don't like my sticks and forks taking center stage (I'd rather my hair do that), so quite often I will use bobby pins to secure my style because they don't show.

RapunzelKat
January 2nd, 2012, 03:18 PM
Me! I have had zero luck with my hairstick attempts. (Except the Chinese bun, and the stick doesn't actually hold that style.) I have been trying some larger pins called bobby slides, but they are just bigger bobby pins.
I'm actually having a heck of a time with buns/updos at this length. My hair is soooo very fine and slippery, so even with bobby pins it's tough :p Anything else results in instant hairstyle failure.

white.chocolate
January 3rd, 2012, 11:30 AM
I love hairsticks but I find them to be uncomfortable, unfortunately, so I don't really use them. Claws and forks give me a headache after a while. I prefer amish/u pins for my length. They hold all of the updos I wear, and they replace the need for bobby pins.

Diamond.Eyes
January 3rd, 2012, 03:42 PM
Whenever I put my hair in a side braid, I stick a bobby pin behind the ear that is opposite of the braid. My hair doesn't necessarily fall out ever, I just put it there to make things extra secure :p. I also use them when I pin back or braid my bangs or when I put my hair in a half-up kind of do. I own three hair sticks that use fairly often though, and I prefer those for bunning over bobby pins any day. :)

Hollyfire3
January 3rd, 2012, 04:47 PM
I use bobby pins to pin the sides of braids so they don't fall down, other then that, the pins get lost in my mass of hair...then i get mad because i lost them durning the day, so usually, no i dont use bobby pins.