PDA

View Full Version : Tired of washing my hair everyday

honeyblonde
January 2nd, 2012, 08:33 AM
Hi all!! I have had an oily scalp since I was a teen! I am now in my 40's and I still have the same problem!!!! Since I color my hair I only use organic sulfate free shampoo on the scalp and Co the ends. I am getting so tired of having to shampoo every day!!!
I just want to keep my scalp clean without drying out the rest of my hair. Anyone else have this problem?

honeyblonde
January 2nd, 2012, 09:05 AM
Sorry about the title. Having trouble using my new I pad :mad:

Thanks Iris!

caiti42
January 2nd, 2012, 09:20 AM
I had an oily scalp in my teens and I've thankfully "trained" my hair to be washed every second day. I started with a day and a half and then after a few weeks managed two days. You could try dry shampoo or an undo on the second day?

honeyblonde
January 2nd, 2012, 09:33 AM
Caiti42, thank you for reading past the title. The dry shampoo might be a great option! :flower:

Amber_Maiden
January 2nd, 2012, 09:36 AM
You could also try using cornstarch, or flour, and brushing it through.

honeyblonde
January 2nd, 2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks Amber!! :)

luvnaz
January 2nd, 2012, 11:25 AM
I've been using a product that I feel cleans my scalp & hair and keeps it cleaner longer than any SLS shampoo and doesn't irritate my scalp. It's inexpensive and even with my long fine hair I don't even need a detangler or conditioner often. It's Nature's Plus natural beauty cleansing bar. Acid pH 4.5 and contains Allantoin and 500 IU of vitamin E. It is completely free of soap and lye, tallow, hexachlorophene & alkalis. Allantoin is the ingredient in the comfrey plant. This non soap smells great & makes my skin, hair & scalp soft, but clean. I think what helps the most with this is balancing the pH of the scalp so it doesn't over produce oil to compensate for shampooing with harsh shampoos. After shampooing the scalp makes more oil to protect itself, then you have an oily scalp that needs another shampooing! Balancing the pH might break this cycle and help you with this! It's worked great for me! :)

UP Lisa
January 2nd, 2012, 11:47 AM
Which scent do you use?

Do you need to use some type of rinse after? Wondering, since I have hard water.

Lisa

quote=luvnaz;1931643]I've been using a product that I feel cleans my scalp & hair and keeps it cleaner longer than any SLS shampoo and doesn't irritate my scalp. It's inexpensive and even with my long fine hair I don't even need a detangler or conditioner often. It's Nature's Plus natural beauty cleansing bar. Acid pH 4.5 and contains Allantoin and 500 IU of vitamin E. It is completely free of soap and lye, tallow, hexachlorophene & alkalis. Allantoin is the ingredient in the comfrey plant. This non soap smells great & makes my skin, hair & scalp soft, but clean. I think what helps the most with this is balancing the pH of the scalp so it doesn't over produce oil to compensate for shampooing with harsh shampoos. After shampooing the scalp makes more oil to protect itself, then you have an oily scalp that needs another shampooing! Balancing the pH might break this cycle and help you with this! It's worked great for me! :)[/quote]

UP Lisa
January 2nd, 2012, 11:50 AM
Same problem here. I am 51, and still oily. However, I don't wash every day anymore. What works best for me is to wash every other day in the MORNING. That way I'm only sleeping on it one night, and I can get two days out of it as long as I don't do anything like brushing my scalp.

I hae used cornstarch and face powder, but worry about clogging hair follicles.

Lisa

Hi all!! I have had an oily scalp since I was a teen! I am now in my 40's and I still have the same problem!!!! Since I color my hair I only use organic sulfate free shampoo on the scalp and Co the ends. I am getting so tired of having to shampoo every day!!!
I just want to keep my scalp clean without drying out the rest of my hair. Anyone else have this problem?

honeyblonde
January 2nd, 2012, 04:13 PM
Thank you Up Lisa and Luv! I went shampoo shopping today! I bought Jason's thin to thick shampoo! It states that it thoroughly cleanses the scalp! Yay!! Will let you know how it works. :D

Mina17
January 2nd, 2012, 05:23 PM
Same problem here. I am 51, and still oily. However, I don't wash every day anymore. What works best for me is to wash every other day in the MORNING. That way I'm only sleeping on it one night, and I can get two days out of it as long as I don't do anything like brushing my scalp.

I hae used cornstarch and face powder, but worry about clogging hair follicles.

Lisa

I stopped using powders for that very reason. I wash almost every day, but not because of oil. My follicles get clogged very quickly.

ClassicalBlonde
January 2nd, 2012, 05:31 PM
I also have oily hair and should probably wash every single day but I only was every second day because of the same reason, I was so sick of washing it all the time! My hair deals with it pretty well now though, it doesn't look too bad (at least I hope it doesn't!). Oh, how I would love to be one of those people that only need to wash once or twice a week! :)

honeyblonde
January 3rd, 2012, 10:23 AM
Thanks for sharing that Mina!

ClassicalBlonde, I sure do envy the once a week washers....must be nice!

Long_hair_bear
January 3rd, 2012, 10:47 AM
I used to have an oily scalp but one day I decided to just wash my hair once a week anyway. I put my hair up or under my hood to help hide the oiliness. After a few weeks, my scalp caught on to the idea and now I only wash my hair every week and a half, a week tops, with shampoo. Washing it between times with conditioner seems to help. :cheese:

luvnaz
January 3rd, 2012, 06:20 PM
Which scent do you use?

Do you need to use some type of rinse after? Wondering, since I have hard water.

Lisa

quote=luvnaz;1931643]I've been using a product that I feel cleans my scalp & hair and keeps it cleaner longer than any SLS shampoo and doesn't irritate my scalp. It's inexpensive and even with my long fine hair I don't even need a detangler or conditioner often. It's Nature's Plus natural beauty cleansing bar. Acid pH 4.5 and contains Allantoin and 500 IU of vitamin E. It is completely free of soap and lye, tallow, hexachlorophene & alkalis. Allantoin is the ingredient in the comfrey plant. This non soap smells great & makes my skin, hair & scalp soft, but clean. I think what helps the most with this is balancing the pH of the scalp so it doesn't over produce oil to compensate for shampooing with harsh shampoos. After shampooing the scalp makes more oil to protect itself, then you have an oily scalp that needs another shampooing! Balancing the pH might break this cycle and help you with this! It's worked great for me! :)[/quote]

I use the yellow bar, which is a nice lemon scent...but there is no fragrance added. It's just Allantoin, & vitamin E. They have the Nature's Plus beauty bar in different scents, but I didn't want to use anything with added fragrances. I really love it...it's helped my itchy scalp so much!

UP Lisa
January 4th, 2012, 07:00 AM
So you just suds it up, and rinse it out?

ArienEllariel
January 4th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I hear you. I envy those people who wash only once a week. I try to stretch washes but most of the time day 2 hair has to be worn up.

Deborah
January 4th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Have you tried scalp-only washing? This is a good way to skip a full wash, but still have clean hair. You can search for info on it. Basically you put your hair in a very low braid, then wet just the front and top of your head under running water at the sink. Then, using just a tiny bit, wash gently with shampoo or conditioner or whatever you like to wash with, holding your braid back and out of the way. Rinse just the washed area, pat well with a towell, and you're done! You can finish with an acidic rinse if you like. I always did when I used to do this.

It's quick and easy, and it works quite well.

UP Lisa
January 5th, 2012, 06:11 AM
I am planning to get back into scalp washing to try to save my hair from after-shampoo detangling. When I have tried it in the past, I always tried to wash all over the head; not just the front and top. I guess that was why it was hard for me.

Safira
January 6th, 2012, 12:26 AM
I started to use scalp only-wash. I think itīs quick and easy way to get clean hair, and I donīt have to wash all hair. I recommend that.

Keenkitty
January 6th, 2012, 01:01 AM
I too have an oiy scalp and dry ends. I actually got great advice from the Rajathani lady that threads my eyebrows.

she is from India and has BEAUTIFUL long hair, and oily skin (and scalp) But she washes her hair byfirst covering it with conditioner, THEN using dime size of shampoo diluted in 2 cups of water, and then just conditions the ends and combs it through to the scalp while rinsing, she washes 2 times a week.

When I asked her how she dealt with greasy hair she said rose petal powder and corn starch after thoroughly brushing her hair to get the oil to her ends.

I have been using the same method for a year and can get away with washing twice a week.

KJ

Emaebe
January 6th, 2012, 02:08 AM
So as a blonde (I've been told it does not work for dark hair since the powder shows through...), I used to use baby powder on a paddle brush, flip my head over, and brush it through my hair starting at the roots. I wouldn't do this often, but there were those days when I was way to busy to wash. I have a tiny container of baby powder that I just throw in my purse and it's the perfect little dispenser for that sort of thing. I don't know about clogging hair follicles as previously mentioned since I didn't do this often and would normally wash it out within a day or two. Also, by flipping my head over it gave more volume. And brushing my hair upside down helped too. Anyways, that's the trick I was taught for dealing with oily hair days.

UP Lisa
January 6th, 2012, 06:13 AM
I use cornstarch, since it is unscented and pure. Still worry about whether is is bad for the scalp, though.