PDA

View Full Version : OCD and hair

discoisntdead
January 2nd, 2012, 06:09 AM
Does anyone else have any odd hair habits?

I often BBB my hair to get rid of dandruff flakes. Sulfate shampoo simply doesn't dissolve mine. Last week my scalp got sunburnt at the beach and these large brown flakes of dead, burnt skin just came off my scalp. It was soooo disgusting and it drives me crazy knowing that all this dead stuff was on me, so I spent about half an hour combing all the dead skin out of my hair.

I know it's sort of gross, but am I the only one who does this?

auburntressed
January 2nd, 2012, 06:15 AM
I know it's sort of gross, but am I the only one who does this?I once lost my hat on a rafting trip, and the part between my braids became so sunburned that my scalp oozed for a good week, in spite of the gallons of sunscreen that I sprayed on it constantly. I couldn't have combed it out the flakes if I'd wanted - I was in too much pain.

discoisntdead
January 2nd, 2012, 06:34 AM
I once lost my hat on a rafting trip, and the part between my braids became so sunburned that my scalp oozed for a good week, in spite of the gallons of sunscreen that I sprayed on it constantly. I couldn't have combed it out the flakes if I'd wanted - I was in too much pain.

The sunburnt areas dry up and peel after a few days... Yep, it is so painful.

vatikagirl
January 2nd, 2012, 06:44 AM
I've been in your shoes, I got sunburnt while vacationing in Mauritius, it was awful and I did the same thing what you've been doing.
All I can say is stop and be gentle on your hair, dead skin will come off anyways.

jacqueline101
January 2nd, 2012, 06:54 AM
Years ago I changed parts direction I parted my hair and it got sun burnt. It was a mild sun burn. I got pure aloe vera gel and put on my part. Like you stated about the flakes mine peeled in that area for a whole day. Its gross but it happens. I found out the hard way that a hat is your friend.

Amber_Maiden
January 2nd, 2012, 09:59 AM
Are you the only who is a bit of OCD with their hair? no. If you want to compare that to me... then I have to much worse then you. I s&d for more than a hour a day, every day. I brush my hair for an hour a day, sometimes more.

Mountaingrrl
January 2nd, 2012, 10:58 AM
:cheese: I'm a bit obsessive about checking the LHC boards.

PixxieStix
January 2nd, 2012, 11:18 AM

Me too!

I do have an OCD hair disorder called trichotillomania though (literally translated= hair pulling disorder), but I'm finally in control of it after 15 years. Once in a while I'll pull one out but I can stop now, whereas in the past I could sit for hours pulling out my hair. Not fun. I may have permanent damage on the top of my head where the hair is much thinner from constant pulling for 14 years, but I'm going to give it another year or two before trucking off to a trichtologist (sp?) to see. I'm hoping regular scalp massages with castor oil/olive oil mix and regular exercise helps fill the thin spots in!

UP Lisa
January 2nd, 2012, 11:57 AM
Good thing you apparently started out with thick hair!

Me too!

I do have an OCD hair disorder called trichotillomania though (literally translated= hair pulling disorder), but I'm finally in control of it after 15 years. Once in a while I'll pull one out but I can stop now, whereas in the past I could sit for hours pulling out my hair. Not fun. I may have permanent damage on the top of my head where the hair is much thinner from constant pulling for 14 years, but I'm going to give it another year or two before trucking off to a trichtologist (sp?) to see. I'm hoping regular scalp massages with castor oil/olive oil mix and regular exercise helps fill the thin spots in!

emeraldfaery
January 2nd, 2012, 12:03 PM
I pull my hair out also. It only started about 4 years ago (a little before I found these boards). I've been doing a little better lately, but it's only because I've been sick. The OCD part about it, besides the pulling, is the searching for the perfect hair TO pull. :/

gothicchick
January 2nd, 2012, 12:07 PM

i'm the same!!