PDA

View Full Version : Supplement Safety

StormVixen
January 2nd, 2012, 04:11 AM
As I learn more about supplements (at work) it worries me because I've seen a lot of people who've been taking higher doses than the Safe Upper Level (SUL) regularly.

This (http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/vitmin2003.pdf) Is a 300+ page document from food.gov.uk.

I'm having trouble finding the paper I had at work which is just a little table with the RDAs and SULs on, hopefully I will be able to update with a link soon.

(ps I wasn't sure wether to put this in the "mane" but seeing as most people are taking supplements for the hair its probably the right place for it)

Gingerbear
January 2nd, 2012, 12:33 PM
People should definitely be careful of supplements. I think some people think of them as "safe" or "all natural" because you don't need a prescription, but they can still have serious side effects and interactions. Quality can be an issue too. I have a friend whose husband used to be on an FDA panel that reviewed supplements. Apparently, there is a major issue with some of them not actually containing what they say they do. Manufacturers know there is a market for that stuff and unfortunately some try to take advantage.

sazzie88
January 2nd, 2012, 02:42 PM
Very good thread i sually take more then needed! thank you for making me look into this.

I have found this site with a table #

http://www.nutritionatc.hawaii.edu/UL.htm

swearnsue
January 2nd, 2012, 03:46 PM
It is so tempting to take alot of supplements. Right now I'm only taking fish oil, calcium and D, and probiotics. I skip days too, just because I forget. I might add red yeast rice for high cholesterol.

Nae
January 2nd, 2012, 05:59 PM
Biotin overdosing is really common on here and it really isn't good for people. I am glad you posted on this topic.

When people start posting that they are "breaking out" because of biotin I start to worry about them. The vast majority of people already have enough biotin in their bodies and unless you are truly biotin deficient there is no effect on hair growth. It would be pretty hard to be deficent. It is in so many things, bananas, breads, chocolate, dairy, eggs....the list goes on.

And just because it is water soluble doesn't mean it is okay to overdose on it. The body still has to process it. Symptoms like cystic acne show that the body isn't handling it well. The recommended daily allowance is 225 mcg. If you are over that you should think carefully about what you are doing.

Kelikea
January 2nd, 2012, 06:14 PM
I wondered about this too. So, on holiday, I decided not to take my supplements and use my juicer more. I found a recipe for alkaline and clear skin juice. I juiced carrots, yellow apples, celery, cucumber, broccoli, spinach and made smoothies with banana and blackberries. It would be better for your body to get the nutrients from food, instead of supplements, right? Well, I feel good and my skin is healing:) It is difficult to juice when working all day, but I'll try to get it out on the weekends.

And did you know that excess iodine is excreted through your pores? It makes me break out in pimples on my face and back, so I buy non-iodized salt and make sure my multi does not list iodine on the ingredients.

shikara
January 2nd, 2012, 06:17 PM
Im glad you posted this! Sometimes we need to pull back and check on what we are doing. Im pretty sure my intakes are within the lower and upper acceptable levels. We shouldnt just blindly take supplements thinking more is better!

HintOfMint
January 2nd, 2012, 06:23 PM
There are so many posts here that basically encourage ODing on vitamins. It's really scary. I'll take an Omega 3 capsule, but other than that, I rely on my diet. The doses taken of say, biotin, on this board are horrifying.

jacqueline101
January 2nd, 2012, 06:35 PM
I had an iron overdose a few years ago.