PDA

View Full Version : Which routine would overall be better for hair growth?

becks113
January 1st, 2012, 09:50 PM
So.. I'm feeling a little conflicted.
I'm trying to cut down on hair washing, I went from shampooing my scalp & length every day to shampooing the top of my scalp every other day with shampoo diluted 6:1 & using the occasional dry shampoo.
Now, here is my dilemma-
I have been doing overnight scalp treatments every other night or so with castor oil, monistat, coconut oil, evoo, tea tree oil ect. (before a wash day.) I cannot stretch washes & do overnight oilings, I become a big grease ball.So far I'm seeing good growth with my overnight treatments though, but shampooing less would be great.. Which do you think would be better for my hair?
Any advice would be fantastic!
Thank you :D

PixxieStix
January 1st, 2012, 09:59 PM
Keep doing what you are doing if it is working for you, even if you aren't stretching the washes as much as you'd like. If the ends feel fine, you should be good to go. Not everyone has to stretch their washes for healthier hair, do what works for your locks. :)

blondie9912
January 2nd, 2012, 12:05 AM
IMO, I think some people blindly worship stretching washes. Yes, washing daily with an SLS shampoo is much worse than washing twice weekly with an SLS free shampoo, but is there really much of a difference between an extra day when you're already using gentle diluted shampoo? I think you should wash as often as you feel necessary, not however much you feel you 'should'. You've made a good decision diluting your shampoo, so don't think you have to worry too much about it. Good luck :)

xoxophelia
January 2nd, 2012, 12:17 AM
Personally I think doing a heavy oiling overnight every other night is probably a little excessive. A good balance would be using smaller amounts of oil (you can shake it in a spray bottle with water which helps) and then you can continue to wash every other day.

You could also change to doing oilings once a week.

shikara
January 2nd, 2012, 12:45 AM
I had the same dilemma recently as well, until I found out that scalp oilings will be very effective done twice a week. Im also not stretching as much as I was. It didnt feel right - my scalp becomes a tad itchy on the third day and I didnt like that, so Im back to applying my scalp tonic and washing every second day. I guess what Im saying is wash when your scalp tells you to, and apply the oils then. My hair also seems to tangle way less with washing a little more. I was diluting too until I realized that for me, SLS cleaned everything better and allowed my conditioners to get right in there and do their thing. The scalp oilings protect my scalp from any harshness that might be present in the shampoo, as well as provide healthy skin from which my hair can grow. Hope this helps!

Gingerbear
January 2nd, 2012, 12:52 PM
I think I would just stay with what you are doing now. It sounds like that is working well for you already. I have a similar regimen of every other day CWC with an overnight heavy oil the day before I am due to wash. I bleach my hair, so it really needs frequent heavy oiling. Once a week on the weekends I do a deep conditioning cholesterol treatment with a heat cap after the shower.

Every once in while I get the urge to change up my regimen, especially when I read about someone else's sucess with whatever the new one happens to be. In the end I always end up going back to my old standby. I think this year I am going to try to embrace the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" philosophy. ;)

Amber_Maiden
January 2nd, 2012, 01:00 PM
I think cutting back on oiling every night and stretching your washing would be better. Shampoo, even diluted, is harsh on hair.