PDA

View Full Version : How to do twisty waves without heat?

Lilli
January 1st, 2012, 04:13 PM
My hair is below APL, and 1c/2a underneath. I would like to do some sort of night damp set to get waves in the front sides, too, but don't know how. My nape wave is a flattened, loose, twisty spiral. How can I achieve this in front? Braid waves don't work - it just looks frizzy and doesn't twist.

Yozhik
January 1st, 2012, 04:18 PM
I'd recommend rope braids. They give me lovely spirals. You can experiment with how many/how thick -- my preference is just to do rope twin braids. :)

SoulOfTheSea
January 1st, 2012, 04:26 PM
I'd recommend rope braids. They give me lovely spirals. You can experiment with how many/how thick -- my preference is just to do rope twin braids. :)

I was just about to say this. :)

Lilli
January 1st, 2012, 04:31 PM
Thank you. Do you have a link to rope braid pics?

Yozhik
January 1st, 2012, 05:06 PM
SouloftheSea, great minds think alike! ;)

Pictures of rope braid waves? Or pictures of rope braids?

Here's a photo of my hair with rope braids, I think (it was a while ago):
http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz256/Yozhik87/Hair/DSC_0862.jpg

ETA: I'm sure you can do french rope braids if you want the spirals to start further up your hair. :)

spidermom
January 1st, 2012, 06:04 PM
I agree - rope braids starting at your part, adding more hair to each strand as your work your way down to ears.

Lilli
January 1st, 2012, 06:40 PM
I agree - rope braids starting at your part, adding more hair to each strand as your work your way down to ears.

So sort of like making a french braid? Rolling hair in as it goes down, to make the twists all the way down? I understand the idea, but I do not know if my fingers will comply.

Yozhik
January 1st, 2012, 07:00 PM
There are tutorials on youtube. :)

Just look for french rope braiding. I think maybe LilithMoon may have a tutorial on it. And if you think a visual example would help, I have some in my profile picture and in my albums. :)

HTH! :flower:

Lilli
January 2nd, 2012, 06:57 AM
I musta done it wrong because as soon as I put the tie in, it untwisted. Maybe I should twist the strands in the opposite direction as the whole braid?

MegaMystery
January 2nd, 2012, 07:01 AM
That's exactly what you're supposed to do :p
So if you twist the strands towards your face, you braid the whole thing away from your face.

Lilli
January 2nd, 2012, 07:20 AM
There are tutorials on youtube. :)

Just look for french rope braiding. I think maybe LilithMoon may have a tutorial on it. And if you think a visual example would help, I have some in my profile picture and in my albums. :)

HTH! :flower:

You and your hair are beautiful.

Manny1826
January 2nd, 2012, 07:43 AM
is there any way to give some extra curl to the very ends when doing rope braids? I often get great waves until the end, and then they just look straight

Boudicca
January 2nd, 2012, 08:10 AM
Would pincurls maybe get the look you're going for?

lapushka
January 2nd, 2012, 08:27 AM
is there any way to give some extra curl to the very ends when doing rope braids? I often get great waves until the end, and then they just look straight

Use a roller at the end, or pincurl the ends. :)