PDA

View Full Version : Supportive things people say/do for your hair...

teal
January 1st, 2012, 01:36 PM
I've seen a couple of threads about horrible things said about some LHC members' hair and my heart just breaks reading them so I've stopped. :( I also know there's another thread about nice compliments received but I wanted to expand on that idea and encompass actions as well. So, what do folks say or do to support your hair journey?

I'll start!

1. Every time my brother sees me, and I mean EVERY time, he tells me, "You look better with long hair!". Those exact words, every time regardless of who's around, and sometimes, "Don't cut it short again." I find it cute, heh. Last time I told him I was going to see how long it would grow, so the next time I see him he actually might not say these words! *gasp*

2. I told DH about how some LHC members were receiving hurtful comments about their hair from people who are generally expected to have their best interests at heart (eg. spouses, parents). He couldn't understand why those people would be so hurtful. Then he asked me to put my hair down and gently fingercombed out the tangles.

Amber_Maiden
January 1st, 2012, 01:43 PM
Your husband sounds very nice, as does your brother.

My husband tells me my hair is beautiful all the time. He also told me he talks about my hair at work. He tells me people are amazed that my hair is so long. He shows them pictures of me on his cellphone. lol.
My DH also has more patience with tangles then me, and will take them out gently, even if it takes half an hour to get one out.

dwell_in_safety
January 1st, 2012, 02:29 PM
My roommate had a big smile on her face while staring at me the other day. When I asked why, she said something to the effect of, "I'm imagining you with long hair again, but this time without many split ends or frizz." :)

Diamond.Eyes
January 1st, 2012, 02:43 PM
My family and DF are very supportive of my long hair and of how obsessed I am with keeping it healthy. When I told my DF that I was really interested in getting some nightblooming panacea, he made an etsy account just to get me some. I thought that was really nice. He also tells me how beautiful my hair is all the time and often compares it with ladies from fairytails and myths. :p My family also always tells me how stunning they think my hair is. I think my mom gets a kick out of strangers asking about it. She also finds my knowledge of hair care to be very interesting, and tells me so quite often. Everyone in my life is really great about my hair obsession. I couldn't ask for a more supportive bunch. :)

dulce
January 1st, 2012, 03:16 PM
Hubbie likes it long and likes commenting on my different flexi 8 dos.Last week 2 older teens gave me some awesome hair compliments on my loose hair which made my day!

jacqueline101
January 1st, 2012, 03:24 PM
My friend told me I had nice long hair. I've never had anyone refer to me as a long hair. I'm happy.

Juneii
January 1st, 2012, 03:29 PM
I was buying replacement windshield wipers for my car a few days ago and the girl at the cash register saw my hair (had it in a side braid) said "You have beautiful long hair!" It was so sweet and flattering to know that someone noticed the effort I put into my hair that morning.

oktobergoud
January 1st, 2012, 03:44 PM
My friends know how obsessed I can be with hair and know me as the type that always cuts and dyes her hair.. I used to change it all the time! So when I told them I was growing it out, they were like 'no way!'. Now that I have actually been growing it out for a year (they haven't seen hair this long on me for like 5 years or so), I get a lot of 'WOAH YOUR IS LOOOONG' or 'you're really growing it out, amazing!' comments now :) Which definitely is nice!

luxepiggy
January 1st, 2012, 05:40 PM
Quite a few strangers have approached me over the years just to tell me that they loved my hair, and that I should never cut it short. It makes my day every time (^(oo)^)v

Herb
January 1st, 2012, 06:00 PM
Older ladies are always complementing my hair. I really appreciate that they bother to do that. It makes my day. :)

candycandace
January 1st, 2012, 06:13 PM
My best friend and cousin are insanely supportive of my hair choices! :D They think its really cool that I want to grow it out. Every time I do a new treatment on my hair, my best friend tells me how great it made my hair look, even if I can't tell the difference. :p The only thing she's complained about is my henna, she thinks it smells and says it looks like baby poop. She also doesn't like when I stain her bathroom floor with it lol... My cousin is supportive in the sense that she's constantly asking for tips, which I love. I even got her into henna. She calls me her hair guru. :)

Long_hair_bear
January 1st, 2012, 06:19 PM
My hubby is very supportive of my long hair and doesn't like when I cut it, which I don't do often anyway. My dad loves long hair and is the same way.

Shebelina
January 1st, 2012, 06:28 PM
Everytime I see a friend of mine, the first thing she says to me is how much she loves my hair. She has extensions and is really envious.

I often overhear strangers talking about my hair too, a couple of times I've had to interrupt them to clarify that it is all real :p

ouseljay
January 1st, 2012, 06:30 PM
My Other is very supportive, not because he particularly cares about my hair, but because I do. It's very sweet. He compliments it when it's down, and he told me the other day that it is getting long. He also sweetly tolerates hair related ramblings. :crush:

Odyssey
January 1st, 2012, 06:31 PM
My fiance and I were talking about my hair today, and I hadn't told him of my goals yet (as they are very recently acquired and he seemed to love it when it was cut short). I'm not sure what prompted it, but he said "Long hair is really nice, like your sister's. You would look good with hair that long." He's very supportive, and now we are comparing hair treatment ideas. He's been doing a regular coconut oil, olive oil, glycerine treatment for about a year now and says he can't wait to do my hair. :D

mktmgt
January 1st, 2012, 08:04 PM
Ever since I finished chemotherapy my mom has been the most supportive as far as hair goes. I was really sad when I had to shave my waist length hair off, but my mom always ensured me that it grow back and be even more beautiful. And she was right. My hair grew back to be even thicker. I also hated having short hair at first, but my mom convinced me that it made me look sophisticated and classy. My mom is the best...

Long_hair_bear
January 1st, 2012, 08:10 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you lost your waist length hair. That would devastate me! :(. However, I'm very glad you lived through it and have a supportive mom. :)

mktmgt
January 1st, 2012, 08:15 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you lost your waist length hair. That would devastate me! :(. However, I'm very glad you lived through it and have a supportive mom. :)

Thank you so much, that really means a lot to me. :)And yeah it was heart breaking at first but I soon got over my vanity and realized that there are more important things than hair. I'm glad to have it back though. :)

Vanille_
January 1st, 2012, 08:29 PM
DH supports my hair obsession rather gladly. He saw me chop my waist length hair to my neck and never wants to see that again. He goes out of his way to play with my hair just because he knows I love that. He pulls up pictures on pinterest of styles I might like. He now can spot the difference between a fishtail, English, Dutch, and waterfall braid. He actually dyed my hair for me yesterday, watching a YouTube tutorial. He even lectured me, saying that my method of using my hands was far inferior to the you tuber's method of using a dye brush. He said I need to buy him a brush for next time .... Awwwwwww

HintOfMint
January 2nd, 2012, 06:49 PM
Last year, there was this girl who had a bit of an aggressive Mother Hen type of complex and she got it in her head that I should cut my hair. I was annoyed but it turns out I had a few supporters on my side.

A friend of mine who knew the both of us got wind of the girl's urging me to cut my hair and sent me a text that told me my hair was gorgeous and I should only do what I want with it. It was nice to have someone on my side. Also I found out that she had told the girl to stuff it. Very satisfying.

AnqeIicDemise
January 2nd, 2012, 07:37 PM
I have a co worker who works at a different location than I do. Whenever I have her on the line she asks me how long my hair is now. She tells me she lives vicariously through me and I through her. (Hers is shorter than pixie)

Vanilla
January 2nd, 2012, 08:14 PM
My boss always compliments me on my updos. I can only do 3 right now, but it makes me want to learn more and keep it interesting with my hair. I think I may be able to do a Chinese bun soon with my length now.

leoninnu
January 2nd, 2012, 08:21 PM
My BF brushes my hair sometimes and he almost always has some nice or helpful thing to say :heart: He could for example say that my hair is feeling great today and there aren't that many tangles or that my hair feels a bit dry and there's some static so maybe I could do something different for it.

akilina
January 2nd, 2012, 08:56 PM
Tonight my man told me that he loves the way my hair looks in hairsticks. :] that made me feel good...its like i can wear my hair up and he doesnt think it looks awful (i dont like wearing my hair up really but i do alot). hes also said hed love it if i grew my hair out so it makes me want to grow it long even more.

Randi
March 14th, 2012, 01:10 AM
My mom will let me practice braids on her hair to understand them better (I'm a very visual person) even though she doesn't like her hair up at all.

My friends are also very supportive and will tell me to never cut my hair.

Ocelan
March 14th, 2012, 01:39 AM
My DBF doesn't really say as nice things as people here have told because he's a generally sarcastic person. So when he sees me and says "what have you done to your hair?!" or "what do you have in your head?!" it should generally be taken as a compliment since atleast he notices and doesn't really mean bad. He also likes me in long hair and tells me not to cut it. I've only just recently started being obsessed with my hair so much, so I expect he will get used toit soon.
Yesterday he let me trim a bit of his APL-BSL lenght hair which had never been trimmed after he got a buzz cut (in... 2009?). The ends are in really bad condition but atleast I got to now trim about 4 cm off of them and it helped a lot. When he went to sleep and made his usual sleeping braid, he said it felt weird to make it but it was nice that the ends were now blunt.

My mom sometimes compliments on the thickness of my braids and other hairdos I do. I expect her to do that more when my hair gets longer since it's often been this long so it's not really a big deal when they're used to it.

One of my friends has told me once or twice that my hair has gotten so long in the past year or so. I cut it to around APL the last time and even though I hadn't really been an obsessed measurer then, she thought my hair grew fast. Maybe it's just because she kept cutting hers.
Also one of my friends keeps always telling me how I have nice hair and how pretty hairdos I can do. I'm really just starting up with different hairdos but she always compliments me still and asks me to do her hair.

Oh and when I was working in a mine last summer I often wore braids under my mining helmet. One of the workers there started calling me Pocahontas and told me I reminded him of her. I thought that was kinda cute.

Johanna
March 14th, 2012, 01:52 AM
My husband compliments my hair all the time. He notices when I try new styles without me having to hint at anything. My sister in laws both love my hair and are now actively growing theirs out now. One of them even stopped straightening her hair too after I complimented her natural curls. Her hair is very fine, but its got some gorgeous s waves all the way through it and is extremely soft.

I asked my husband what he thought about me growing out to knee, he's all for it and is eager to help me out when my arms get too short.

joflakes
March 14th, 2012, 02:01 AM
My boyfriend often just randomly comes out with 'Nice hair!' or touches it and pulls it out of my eyes and stuff. It's really sweet.

My Mum told me yesterday that my hair is a nice colour at the moment - even though it is washed out red!

morrigan*
March 14th, 2012, 02:49 AM
My DBF usually start making fun of when i start to talking about hair, not so much any more and never in mean way, since he told me that he loves when i start talking about hair or things i really like and he just love to listen my voice. He also tell me that i have beautiful hair and it's soft and shiny. I always ask him what he thinks when i buying new hair toy :D. He is really sweat.

Ishje
March 14th, 2012, 02:55 AM
my grandma told me that my hair looked so pretty that it could not possibly be real :p
and she said I should not cut it short.

she lives in an elderly flat, and every time I go there and see people in the hallway's they compliment me on my hair.
last time a lady wanted do know who did that artsy hairstyle on me (it was a nautilus bun)
and she was all surprised when I told her I did that myself.

fridgee
March 14th, 2012, 02:59 AM
DBF is supportive of me growing my hair out because he hated it when I cut it short. He's also great at undoing tangles gently so if I get a difficult one he will sort it out for me, it's so sweet.

malin_798
March 14th, 2012, 03:02 AM
I usually wear my hair up, but when I happen to wear it down my best friend and boyfriend always say "Your hair is growing so fast!". That makes me happy. It must be growing very fast if other people notice it! :)

MonaLisa
March 14th, 2012, 04:38 AM
Yesterday, DBF's sister touched my hair and made a gasp...and said something like ' your hair...'..
I instantly thought, OMG splits? damage? dry?
then she went on about how it can be that long and so healthy/alive and without splits..:o:o What a relief! And I was so happy that she listened to my advice and tips..
She has super thick hair, must be 6 inches circumference or so, wavy/cruly, BSL...and she brushes it out harshly, like I did.., brushes it after washing and then of course hates the frizz that takes place of beautiful curls...and! she doesn't use conditioner...just SLS shampoo every 2 days! I hope I can save her! She wants long hair..but she had to chop last time it got long cause ends were too dried out and damaged..

MonaLisa
March 14th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Oh and as I mentioned some places before, maybe...DBF is super suportive :crush:
Not a day goes by without compliments and love..

Wish my family was more like it...I have so many hair - enemies there...mom being the worst about it..

Ligeia_13
March 14th, 2012, 05:36 AM
My boyfriend does not support me :p he has no hang ups about hair, he woke up one morning and brutally chopped his waist length hair up to his shoulders. So I am ridiculous for spending so much thought on mine.

My bbb brush is a secret. Don't tell him :D