PDA

View Full Version : Losing hair?

Serendipitym0m
January 1st, 2012, 12:32 PM
I have a 6 month old daughter (maybe this is related? I dunno).. and just a couple months ago, I've started losing my hair.. bad. The carpet has rolled up hair balls everywhere (and it's been a nightmare for the vacuum too). Every time I brush, the whole hairbrush is full of hair to the max and has to be cleaned out. I'm getting hair on the counter, my clothes, pulling them out of my daughter's fists and toes (eek, sometimes it creates a tight knot around her toes). It's just everywhere!!! I have two other kids (age 7 and 4) which I've never lost hair like this. Could it be because my hair is longer and I notice it now.. or some kind of hair problem/deficiency that I am unaware about?? :confused:

KwaveT
January 1st, 2012, 12:58 PM
You are having a postpartum hair shed. I imagine since you have longer hair this time it seems like you are losing more of it. I never noticed shedding until I started growing long hair so I imagine this is part of it. I will leave the more expert opinion to women who have gone through postpartum shedding. I am man so what am I know about this topic. So ladies have at it.

teal
January 1st, 2012, 01:11 PM
It does sound like a postpartum shed. Hormones drastically reduce hair shedding during pregnancy, and sometimes breastfeeding will prolong that. The shed might be induced by starting/resuming hormonal birth control, or when your little one starts eating solids (because you'll breastfeed less). The hair you lose in the postpartum shed is hair you would have lost normally if you hadn't undergone pregnancy, so, even though it looks like ginormous amounts of hair, don't be worried. If you haven't been sick, under a lot of stress or have had a change in diet then this is most likely it. Your hair will be back to its usual self soon. :)

Edit: I noticed the shed way more with my second because my hair was a lot longer. It looks like more hair. In terms of quantity, it's not, or at least it wasn't for me.

Amber_Maiden
January 1st, 2012, 01:12 PM
Sounds like a postpartum hair shedding. It'll eventually stop, might take a while though, up to a year.

Helenae
January 1st, 2012, 01:51 PM
It may be worth taking biotin supplements with a good multivitamin in order to help regrow your hair!

rock007junkie
January 1st, 2012, 02:16 PM
I went through the same thing when I had my boy. It was really bad. A while after I started using Neelibhringadi oil and my shed is down to almost nothing.

Serendipitym0m
January 1st, 2012, 06:49 PM
Sounds like a postpartum hair shedding. It'll eventually stop, might take a while though, up to a year.

Oh my goodness.. that long?? Eek! I was wondering that, thanks!

Serendipitym0m
January 1st, 2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks ladies! This is the first time I've noticed postpartum shedding and this is my third child.. must definitely be more noticeable with long hair. I'm relieved that this is normal, but am hoping I don't go bald at this rate, lol. Thank you for the tips too! I will be checking those out!