PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with updos!!

sarelis
January 1st, 2012, 08:10 AM
Hi everyone, my hair is just past waist length & I do tend to wear it up most of the time, otherwise it just gets super tangled :( My problem is that I am so cack-handed & useless in general at styling hair, I tend to twist it all into a rope, wind it around itself into a bun & that's it. The problem with this is that the twisting really encourages my hair to turn into dreadlocks (not that it needs a lot of encouragement! In fact I did rock some pretty impressive dreads for about 5 years) & when I do take it down it's all coiled into individual ropes if you know what I mean, these are then hellish to comb through & I am convinced that the twisting is not good for my hair. I just can't make it stay up unless I twist it though!! What I really need are some ideas (preferably tutorials!) for REALLY easy, protective updos that will withstand being out in the wind & rain, being under a riding hat, going running etc & will not turn my hair into dreads! Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

kdaniels8811
January 1st, 2012, 08:12 AM
The articles section has lots of buns, sounds like the lazy wrap may be a good choice for no-twisting. Check it out!

sarelis
January 1st, 2012, 08:14 AM
Thank you! Off to check out that section now :)

Kelikea
January 1st, 2012, 08:15 AM
What about a sock bun?

sarelis
January 1st, 2012, 08:26 AM
Some good non-twisty styles in that section, yes a sock bun might be good too. I think my main problem is just being so cack-handed, everything looks so complicated! Need to go & spend some time practising :)

Madora
January 1st, 2012, 08:35 AM
Perhaps this might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

A word of advice..just try doing it from one ear to the other until you get the "hang" of it. Then, when you feel comfortable with the motions, try for completely around the head.

Also, if you don't know how to braid, then learning how will open a whole spectrum of styles to try.

You might like to visit Torrin Paige's video tutorials on You Tube for inspiration. Good luck!

jacqueline101
January 1st, 2012, 09:56 AM
How about braided bun

luvnaz
January 1st, 2012, 09:57 AM
Perhaps this might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

A word of advice..just try doing it from one ear to the other until you get the "hang" of it. Then, when you feel comfortable with the motions, try for completely around the head.

Also, if you don't know how to braid, then learning how will open a whole spectrum of styles to try.

You might like to visit Torrin Paige's video tutorials on You Tube for inspiration. Good luck!

Great videos! Thanks for the links!

sarelis
January 1st, 2012, 09:59 AM
Excellent, thanks for the advice ladies, I have several new styles to try out now :)

Long_hair_bear
January 1st, 2012, 10:51 AM
I like all of lillithedarkmoon videos. I might try a couple this week. I like how she does some for medium length hair as mines not quite waist length yet. I'm at MBL and sometimes it's hard to find hair tutorials for shorter hair. :)