PDA

View Full Version : The Big Shave!

Linnykinz
December 31st, 2011, 11:36 PM
Well, ladies and gentlemen, I did it. After years of struggling with hair growth and a continuing, vicious cycle of chemical services and hair coloring, I made the decision and went through with it.

I shaved my head!!

I went down to about 1/8". I left my bangs for some covering, and to remind me how damaged the hair was before so I don't regret it! ;) Pics to come soon, as soon as I get my hand on a camera.

The Reasons I Shaved My Head:

For years, since a very ugly hair cut, I've struggled with my hair. I've dyed, relaxed, bleached, cut, repeat...it was awful. My hair was embarrassing. Any time I tried to grow it out, damage would travel up the shaft. I realized the only way to save it and start fresh was to buzz it off. Sure, I might look funny for a bit, but in the end I think I can rock it! ;)

The Reactions:

Oh trust me, in the day I've had my head shaved, there have been PLENTY. It seems very taboo for a woman to shave her head. I never realized what a huge issue this was to some people. I get stares, "That's...interesting"s, and every once in a while, "That's hot/sexy/adorable" which makes it worth it. But most of all is my reaction: I love it. It is so much easier to go about life not having to worry about damaged, funky hair. I take a shower and I get out, and voila. No 3 hours spend on my hair! Plus more of my features are showing, as well as there is more concentration on other features and my body, which encourages me to work on that more.

Has anybody else shaved their head, or is anybody planning to? Why? What were your thoughts beforehand, during, and after the process? Come share! We baldies don't bite ;) xo

AnqeIicDemise
December 31st, 2011, 11:52 PM
I've always wanted to.. but I have huge body issues. A lifetime of teasing about how tiny my head is in proportion to my body's kept me from having hair that is too short. The closest I got to was a pixie, but I was much smaller back then too.

Maybe, some day I'll do it. I don't know. We'll have to see about that.

In the meantime, I shall live vicariously through you. :D

Linnykinz
December 31st, 2011, 11:59 PM
I've always wanted to.. but I have huge body issues. A lifetime of teasing about how tiny my head is in proportion to my body's kept me from having hair that is too short. The closest I got to was a pixie, but I was much smaller back then too.

Maybe, some day I'll do it. I don't know. We'll have to see about that.

In the meantime, I shall live vicariously through you. :D

I shall keep you updated on the journey! ;) I was pretty terrified at first, I actually have a big head compared to my body (at least I think I do-- I'm pretty petite) and worried that I was going to have a weird head shape, all sorts of dents and bumps, etc. I've also been struggling a lot with my body image and feel like now I actually have to face them, which is almost relieving in a way. No more hiding or procrastinating. I don't particularly like the way I look with short hair, but buzzed hair, now that's a different story. The growing out process is going to be a trying time. Keep checking back, I and any others may need the support! ;) Your hair is quite lovely as it is. I'd have never buzzed if I had that on my head! <3

Audrey Horne
January 1st, 2012, 12:10 AM
I did it years ago for similar reasons. It IS very taboo! I got a lot of insults but it didn't bother me. I loved it! Growing out was tough though. Past-pixie stage was awkward. It used to itch a little when became 1/2 inch long :).

Linnykinz
January 1st, 2012, 12:13 AM
I did it years ago for similar reasons. It IS very taboo! I got a lot of insults but it didn't bother me. I loved it! Growing out was tough though. Past-pixie stage was awkward. It used to itch a little when became 1/2 inch long :).

Thanks for sharing your experience Audrey! I'm very worried about the pixie and beyond, awkwardish stages. My hair is quite curly and wavy with a mind of its own. I don't think I've seen my natural hair type for years now.

I'm really starting to embrace it. I feel bold, confident, and sexy!

Audrey Horne
January 1st, 2012, 01:14 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience Audrey! I'm very worried about the pixie and beyond, awkwardish stages. My hair is quite curly and wavy with a mind of its own. I don't think I've seen my natural hair type for years now.

I'm really starting to embrace it. I feel bold, confident, and sexy!

You will have to cut it often to avoid a mullet lol I loved pixie, it was fun. It grew fast (on me) and once it gets to your ears - a bob! And bobs is a nice short hair stage IMO Then you can put some bows, flowers, whatever else in your hair :). I was also surprised to see that my hair is wavy. With all dying and chemicals I forgot it.
Try to enjoy every stage! It can be very very hard. I wish mine was at the waist+ now but it's not going to happen anytime soon. You can be all happy being all "tomboyish"-head for awhile. Enjoy!

skyblue
January 1st, 2012, 01:25 AM
I buzz cut my hair about 9 years ago, because I was going to lose it all anyways (cancer) I couldn't bare to watch it all fall out so out came the clippers lol
I loved it too! I have to say it's very freeing! I was very surprised at how good it looked too! If it weren't for the few lumps on my head, my scull shape would have been perfect, anyways I just let it grow out naturally, I don't think I had it cut till it was about BSL (very dry ends) and I really enjoyed the different stages it went through, I don't remember getting frustrated with it at all
I know one thing though, your going to love the baby soft virgin hair that grows out of your head!! And you have all your LHC wisdom to help you keep healthy to boot, unlike me who didn't have a clue yet lol!!
Enjoy the ride!!!

kaiakai
January 1st, 2012, 01:35 AM
I ended up shaving my head the last time I cut my dreads off. I rocked a mohawk for a day, then shaved the rest of it. I sort of loved it for a few days, then saw a picture or two (including my driver's license photo..DOH.. that was bad timing!!)

...and then I hated it.

But that's always how it has been with me and short hair.

woolyleprechaun
January 1st, 2012, 02:11 AM
That was a very brave thing, I applaud you!:cheese: Its been several years since I buzzed all my dammaged hair off, so I know where you're comming from:D

CurlyCap
January 1st, 2012, 02:18 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!

It's a big decision. But it'll be worth it to have healthy, virgin hair.

I did a big chop a year ago, and looking back, I wish I had shaved it. Now that I have some healthy length, I want long hair again before I contemplate another chop. I'm jealous of the brave gals like you!

Violettwin
January 1st, 2012, 03:05 AM
Ohhh I can't wait to see a photo! It must be so liberating :)

julliams
January 1st, 2012, 04:23 AM
I so admire you for taking the plunge. It's something I secretly would love to do but not sure I have the head to pull it off.

Lissandria
January 1st, 2012, 04:23 AM
You are very brave, Kudos. Enjoy having healthy, virgin hair and the growing journey ahead. :)

oktobergoud
January 1st, 2012, 05:20 AM
Aaah pictures?? :D

I did shave half of my head a few times and it feels so amazing! So soft and nice! And the upkeep is so easy! (Till it grows out haha).

But that's a very brave choice, good for you :)

Renate
January 1st, 2012, 05:34 AM
I so admire you! Please show us pictures and keep us informed :)

Mesmerise
January 1st, 2012, 05:42 AM
Go you! There are certainly times when I contemplate shaving all my hair off...the closest I've come is a short pixie which was probably 1" - 1.5" on top and umm... well shorter clipped up the back and sides (not sure how short though lol).

I have always said that when I finally decide to go all natural hair colour, that I will shave the lot off to avoid hideous regrowth... but I probably won't do that until I am in my 50s at least (and the amount of grey hair makes it not worth it to continue hennaing or something). Then I'll be a granny rocking a shaved head! People will probably think I've got cancer or something though... :rolleyes:.

Lize
January 1st, 2012, 06:27 AM
I like the thought of starting over from completely fresh. I also have a history of damaging my hair. I'd never dare to go through with it though. It wouldn't suit me at all. But that is super cool that you did it! Happy growth journey!

Peggy E.
January 1st, 2012, 06:39 AM
I would have thought there would not be so much attention drawn to a shaved head anymore, now that there are so many going through cancer treatments.

Well, maybe they DO notice, but wouldn't dare say anything, believing you are in a life-and-death struggle.

Good luck on this newest re-growth cycle of your life's adventure!

Toadstool
January 1st, 2012, 06:53 AM
how much fringe do you have left? I keep wanting to do this. I have a side undercut which is black and white speckled (naturally). The rest of my hair except the roots is a strange orangeish colour.
But I am scared of the growout plus i think I might be too fat to pull it off.

aster66
January 1st, 2012, 07:10 AM
Can't wait to see pictures :). I thinks its so brave of you to do!

kdaniels8811
January 1st, 2012, 08:23 AM
I had so many people comment - both positively and negatively - when my head was shaved (due to chemo, NOT my choice) that I wore a wig. Now my hair is growing out nicely, very healthy and shiny.

What I don't understand is the mullet comments, I did not have a mullet, my hair looks layered and has not been touched with scissors. What mullet? I waited with dread for that to happen and it never did.

So enjoy the journey, there is so much support on these boards for whatever stage of growth you are in. You are brave to take such a step but you will love your virgin hair.

blondie9912
January 1st, 2012, 12:10 PM
You're so corageous! Congratulations :D I damaged my hair this summer by altering the colour too much (from highlights to brown to full on blonde to brown with highlights...it's a wonder I still HAVE hair!) I did, however, shave a section near my hairline (almost in the location bangs would be) because my hair was so damaged! It's about two inches long now, so I kind of understand the pain of growing out shaved hair. It will be soo worth it for you, I'm quite envious that I can't do it! I'm a high school senior so I don't think a shaved head would be taken well :p Anyway, I wish you the best of luck on your journey! Just remember to baby your hair this time around! Happy growing :love:

KwaveT
January 1st, 2012, 12:27 PM
You are very brave for making such a decision. It is not something I would do. I like myself with hair and more of it the better. Enjoy the journey on regrowing your hair. It will seem so much longer if you don't.

Amber_Maiden
January 1st, 2012, 12:35 PM
Good for you! Glad you love it! :D

Lostsoule77
January 1st, 2012, 12:40 PM
Good for you! When I was in HS (long time ago) there was a girl with a shaved head with bangs. I thought it was quite flattering. I'm a tad jealous that you're going to get to grow out with all the knowledge of this place at your disposal.

I wouldn't trade places with you though. :) I love my long hair & haven't had it that short since I was an infant. Except for my bob at like 5, I've had my hair APL or longer (usually BSL or more) my whole life.

I do admire women who can pull it off though. While I don't want it, I don't think I could pull it off well if I did. So kudos to you!:cheese: Can't wait to see some pictures.

wickwiit
January 1st, 2012, 12:45 PM
28 years ago when I was active duty Navy, I wore my hair in a fade with a longer fringe as bangs. The sides and back were shaved down to an 1/8" and saved me a ton of money because I had my hair cut by a barber. I was young, thin and cute (says my DH) and I rocked great earrings. Have fun with it and think about the time and money you're saving.

If you're happy then don't worry about what others say. You don't wake up with them, they don't pay your bils and they don't sign your paycheck!!

jojo
January 1st, 2012, 02:26 PM
Its not something i could do, as id look like a pea on a mountain but I always admire somebody who takes the plunge and starts a fresh; it must be a very liberating feeling.

I always think of Igor and her amazing journey to extreme lengths from bald.

Good luck with your new journey and I look forward to hearing about your progress.

mulletesque
January 1st, 2012, 03:17 PM
I gave myself a chelsea a few years ago, but it didn't look very good. :eek: Sure was fun to wash my head, though.

To everything there is a season.

Kat
January 1st, 2012, 03:23 PM
I can't wait to see the pictures! I love the way some women look with shaved heads. I could never pull it off myself (though my mom says I have a good head shape for such things).... I'm not pretty, and I don't think my face looks "girly" enough for people to realize I'm female if I didn't have longer hair (I'd have to wear really girly clothes all the time so they'd get the idea, and shirts tight enough to make it obvious that I have boobs-- don't think I could manage it with my jeans/t-shirts/cargo pants/etc.).

gingerella
January 1st, 2012, 03:39 PM
I admire you for taking the plunge, it must feel sooo liberating! My hair is in fairly good condition today but I still think about how liberating it would be to just shave it all out and start fresh. I almost took the big step after dying my naturally red hair black for several years and then deciding to go back, instead I cut off half of my hair and went through a long process of getting my natural colour back. Now my hair is BSL and any traces of the black dye are long gone.

gogirlanime
January 1st, 2012, 03:44 PM
I wanted to but didn't have the guts my hair is pretty damaged. I congratulate you for having the courage. Instead I'm just trimming as it grows to keep the length until the damage is gone.

spidermom
January 1st, 2012, 03:47 PM
Oh my goodness; how brave of you! I don't think I could do it. I'd probably keep a warm oil treatment on my hair at all times, bag it, and hide it under wigs or scarves.

I hope the grow-out won't be too annoying for you.

airmid
January 1st, 2012, 03:57 PM
I did it in high school... I both loved it and hated it, and I did get sick of it after... but I have a strangely shaped head, hahahaha! Kind of square and dented. If I'd had a cute head I would have liked it better. ;) However, I love the shaved head look on other women! Gorgeous!! And totally rockin'. :D

Vanille_
January 1st, 2012, 04:12 PM
I'm so excited for you. I'm pretty impulsive, and sometimes I Think it would be awesome to hit the reset button and start over. I joined LHC recently and I think it would be super neat to do what your doing. Monitoring progress, taking great care of it ... It's going to look amazing!

Nannanej
January 1st, 2012, 05:34 PM
I know this is probably a weird thing to say on a longhair forum, but maybe you should keep it that way? Sounds like you're very into it :D anyway, whatever you do will be awesome. I bet it looks great now, and if you grow it out, you'll have perfect virgin hair. Good luck and I'm looking forward to pictures :D

Long_hair_bear
January 1st, 2012, 06:13 PM
You, madam, are very brave. I have mini panic attacks over trims, so being shaved would darn near kill me. I have a phobia that I'll explain in another thread, but kudos to you! :cheese:

Odyssey
January 1st, 2012, 06:45 PM
That is scary, amazing, and cool! I don't know if I could ever do it myself, but I bet it will be awesome to watch it grow out. I saw your goal was 40", are you planning any kind of photo journey? Just a suggestion, but if you took a picture once a week or even once a month until it grew out a bit, it would be a crazy cool progression.
Anyway, congrats on the cut and good luck on the journey.

PixxieStix
January 1st, 2012, 07:00 PM
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and photo to prove it! It was awesome. It was very freeing, and thankfully I have a perfectly shaped head so it was a lot of fun. Not the reasons for me doing it, but I shaved it bald on and off for three or so years, but finally overcame my demon and am growing my hair out for the first time in 7, 8 long years? I do have some chemical bleach under henna I'll have to whack off eventually, but I figured I'd have a last bit of fun before kicking the chemical bandwagon and "actively" growing my hair. So good for you, good for us! The best part of the entire thing? Rocking some amazing earrings!

I only dealt with two kinds of comments: compliments and "oh honey, to be going through cancer at your age!" Oh, the last one always made me cringe, but the compliments made up for it.

long&blonde
January 1st, 2012, 08:11 PM
Paranoid as I am about even trims; I soo admire you!
I actually love the look of a woman in a buzzcut/shave.
The confidence to go against the norm.
Your courage is amazing.
I agree:living vicariously thru your story:keep sharing! :)

Kyla
January 1st, 2012, 08:15 PM
I can't wait to see pics! :)

I applaud you, it's so cool that you were willing to take that risk.

Linnykinz
January 1st, 2012, 09:31 PM
<center>*****UPDATE*****

Here are pictures as promised! I'm so touched by all of the comments, I did not expect to receive so many responses and so much support. Thank you all sincerely. :) What do you all think?

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy310/Linnykinz/Picture134.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy310/Linnykinz/Picture133.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy310/Linnykinz/Picture131.jpg

Linnykinz
January 1st, 2012, 09:36 PM
I'd love to see pictures of others who have done something similar on here!

I know this is probably a weird thing to say on a longhair forum, but maybe you should keep it that way? Sounds like you're very into it :D anyway, whatever you do will be awesome. I bet it looks great now, and if you grow it out, you'll have perfect virgin hair. Good luck and I'm looking forward to pictures :D

You know? I'm actually quite considering it...come time it comes to about an inch or two length I'll decide if I want to buzz it again or not. It is amazing not spending 2 hours on my hair a day! It was so damaged and porous it soaked water like a sponge, and wouldn't let it go! I'd have to wash every other day or twice a week even though it was greasy, because it was so cold when it was drying, eek. Now I get out of the shower and go. Oh it's wonderful. :)

But, of course regardless of what I decide on I shall still be on to admire all of your lovely heads of hair! xo

Odyssey
January 1st, 2012, 09:41 PM
WOWZA! That is so flipping cute on you! You are definitely rocking it girl. And I agree with PixxieStix, you can really show off some earrings now.

Lostsoule77
January 1st, 2012, 10:05 PM
That definitely looks good on you!

Gothchiq
January 1st, 2012, 10:10 PM
I have too fat a face to get away with that supershort look, or even chin length... but I did cut off six inches of damage (from BSL to shoulder) and have another 6 inches to go to get rid of the really screwed up hair. I had straightened it and then when that only worked for a month I resorted to flat ironing it every day. OOPS. Big mistake. Once I got to BSL the hairs started literally fraying. So I did a big chop. I still feel kind of weird and I know there will be many comments at work on Tuesday.

DakarNick
January 1st, 2012, 10:10 PM
Looks awesome with the long bangs! Very cute.

Audrey Horne
January 1st, 2012, 10:13 PM
Had a similar buzzcut except my bangs were short. I always found them to be cute. Then I went full-o lol

MoreWhenNuh
January 1st, 2012, 10:18 PM
Looks awesome!!

Linnykinz
January 1st, 2012, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the sweet comments so far everybody!

I have too fat a face to get away with that supershort look, or even chin length... but I did cut off six inches of damage (from BSL to shoulder) and have another 6 inches to go to get rid of the really screwed up hair. I had straightened it and then when that only worked for a month I resorted to flat ironing it every day. OOPS. Big mistake. Once I got to BSL the hairs started literally fraying. So I did a big chop. I still feel kind of weird and I know there will be many comments at work on Tuesday.

Very cool, isn't it liberating though? In my opinion a face cannot be too fat, skinny, anything for this style. Before I shaved I always thought it was weird, but now I am starting to pay more attention to and see the beauty in all face shapes and features!

I know what you mean about fraying, yikes. I didn't flat iron my hair often but I didn't have to; after relaxing and other chemical treatments my hair literally split and felt like gum when it got wet. It's all for the best, just remember to rock it with confidence and it will look awesome on you--that way you will get "compliments" instead of "comments"! ;)

Alex Lou
January 1st, 2012, 10:27 PM
You look cute and sexy! I've always wanted a buzz cut from time to time but didn't think it would look good on me.

RapunzelKat
January 1st, 2012, 10:41 PM
Oh wow, that looks fantastic on you!! :D I wouldn't be surprised if you decide to keep it awhile, just because it's so awesome. I'm sure you will have a great "hair journey" either way ;)
I admire everyone who has the courage to buzz/shave their head, I don't think I could do it. It takes a lot of confidence to rock that look, like you said, and I think that would be hard for me.

UltraBella
January 1st, 2012, 10:52 PM
I love this look on you ! I am so glad you posted pictures.

Loviatar
January 1st, 2012, 11:05 PM
OH my word, that's so cute! :D I love it. My brother has often told me I should either buzz cut or do dreads, and I don't dare do either. Thanks for posting the pictures. THe bangs look fun too.

I was very tempted to shave my hair all off in December, but I am looking for work right now and I figured it would be counterproductive. I got a pixie instead and I hate it already, so good job I didn't buzz. In my social circle (apart from my brother) I think it would be very taboo for a woman to shave her head.

I think it looks fantastic and even from the way you're standing in your photo, you're very unapologetic for it - it's very much a "this is me and this is my fabulous haircut, so what?" which I think is awesome :)

gibsongirl71
January 1st, 2012, 11:26 PM
You are very pretty and the haircut suits you. It give you a playful, dangerous kind of look. I could never wear my hair that short, but on you it rocks. You will like the feel of nice healthy hair once it starts growing out. :-)

Toadstool
January 2nd, 2012, 03:31 AM
Wow, you look stunning!

LissaJane
January 2nd, 2012, 04:19 AM
I gave myself a #1 buzzcut.... I wanted to shave, but was told that there would be issues at the school I was attending if I did so. I probably should have still, anyways, but my education's very valuble to me.
Also, I'm very prone to ingrownies, so that was another deterrent :p

Mesmerise
January 2nd, 2012, 04:31 AM
Your hair looks awesome! I love it with the long fringe. It's sort of inspiring, but I don't think I'd actually have the guts to do it :D. I like the idea of growing completely fresh new hair though!

skyblue
January 2nd, 2012, 04:40 AM
It looks AWESOME! Just from your bangs I can see you have nice thick hair, it's gonna grow back very beautiful when you let it, but hey enjoy the buzz a while cause it really looks so cute on you!

PolarCathy
January 2nd, 2012, 04:43 AM
Ooh-aaah, I shouldn't have opened this thread. Now I feel SO tempted again. Somebody stop me!

LaLaBella
January 2nd, 2012, 05:14 AM
My daughter did this a couple of years ago to remove uber-damaged hair. She invested in a bunch of pretty jeweled bobby pins to make her look girly during the transistion.
I think it's Madora's page where she bought pretty buttons and slipped them on bobby pins to make decorative pins for hair.
Just be patient and keep trimming up the back hemline every few months to make things look neat.

mrs_coffee
January 2nd, 2012, 07:08 AM
OMG, that is super cool. I love it. http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm215/tackyblueeyeshadow/Smileys/happydance-1.gif

jacqueline101
January 2nd, 2012, 08:19 AM
You're brave for doing it but at least your hair will be healthy. It has its positive side.

luthein
January 2nd, 2012, 10:14 AM
It looks amazing on you!

Vanille_
January 2nd, 2012, 10:26 AM
You look great!!!!

PinkyCat
January 2nd, 2012, 10:29 AM
OMG how cute is that!

patienceneeded
January 2nd, 2012, 10:33 AM
Wow! That look is rockin' on you! Very nice! The thing that has always kept me from doing something similar is that I know I'll just end up looking exactly like my brothers. I swear, we all have the same face... On you though? Definately feminine, and rocker-chick all at the same time. LOVE IT.

beachgirlla
January 2nd, 2012, 10:51 AM
You are so brave to do this, very beautiful
Is it true that split ends travel up? :(, does that mean if you have split ends you have no way to make your hair longer? geez I may have to chop my hair off too, lol, but I'm not way brave as you :)

blondie9912
January 2nd, 2012, 11:02 AM
That's awesome! You will definitely rock it :) Good luck with whatever hairstyle you decide on!

gogirlanime
January 2nd, 2012, 11:33 AM
Very cool cut I like how you left the bangs. Happy growing some new and healthier hair :)

AnnaJamila
January 2nd, 2012, 11:41 AM
I don't know if I would be brave enough to do that! I've always considered my hair to be one of the prettiest things about me so it would definately be strange not to have it at all . . .

cheetahfast
January 2nd, 2012, 11:58 AM
It looks very nice!!

I wanted to do a mohawk and then shave my hair off before growing it out.
That was right before I joined here.

My skin is bad so I'll never shave all of my hair off.

Linnykinz
January 3rd, 2012, 06:42 PM
Recent thought: What have I done?!? This is going to take forever to grow back!!!! :(

Current thought: Well, I guess I can learn to enjoy it at every length. Right? :)

princessp
January 3rd, 2012, 07:13 PM
That looks really cute on you!

einna
January 3rd, 2012, 07:50 PM
Wow, you are really rocking it! :D

thecandiedmango
January 3rd, 2012, 09:05 PM
Sexy hair, and way to go! I've wanted to buzz in the past but the shortest cut I felt comfortable with was around 1". The weirdest comments I ever got at that time were that I looked 'sexually experimental' and 'like a manga character, so cute'.

Can I just say that I love how supportive people on this forum are? I mean, this is a long hair community and no one has made a comment about a topic on head shaving; I've seen other forums turn on users for more minor things than that so this is really awesome.

may1em
January 3rd, 2012, 09:32 PM
Looks great on you! Good wishes for the growout!

Linnykinz
January 4th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Can I just say that I love how supportive people on this forum are? I mean, this is a long hair community and no one has made a comment about a topic on head shaving; I've seen other forums turn on users for more minor things than that so this is really awesome.

This exactly! I was pretty nervous coming on here with this topic but I've gotten nothing but positive feedback...I wish I could personally thank every single supporter but that would completely spam the thread! I don't think I've ever encountered a more supportive group, on or offline. Gotta love these ladies and gents! <3

Also to the "manga character" comment, cute! I would take that as a huge compliment if that was said to me, I love those characters hehe. ^-^

I'm lucky to live in sunny SoCal so my head isn't freezing like I thought it would be, LOL ;)

bratz81
January 4th, 2012, 01:58 AM
wow, you really really suit that!
I have pondered shaving my head to get rid of damage but haven't for several reasons:
a) I look to 'cute' to carry off more extreme or 'rock/funky' hairstyles. Damn looking like a 12 year old!
b) I've had short hair and know how much I hate various growing out stages so why put myself through that again?
c) I'm getting married in June and always imagined myself having longer hair than a buzz cute in my wedding pics :p

morrigan*
January 4th, 2012, 03:56 AM
Wow you ar so cute and brave too, i couldn't do that, don't have guts for it :D

nightwish90
January 4th, 2012, 05:48 AM
there's a well known myth that after shaving hair grows thicker, what's your experience? i've also read on the internet it's actually bad for hair and scalp. any thoughts /experience about it?

vanity_acefake
January 4th, 2012, 06:04 AM
Love it.
I had my hair just like it in 1996. My fringe was pink. I thought I was Tank Girl! I couldn't stop stroking my head. It felt lovely. The grow out was a pia though.
Looks great on you.

sazzie88
January 4th, 2012, 06:17 AM
That cut is great! fantastic! super duper! I absolutely love it! It brings out your eyes, you are definatly rocking that style!

Great job it really suits you!

wicked kisses
January 4th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Come on ladies!! She's not just 'cool looking' or 'very pretty'
This cut brings out the fact that she is downright gorgeous!!

Often our hair distracts from our faces.

Nae
January 4th, 2012, 06:34 AM
We used to have a member here named Igor. She went from a shaved head to knee length in about 10 years. It was amazing.

Qadupae
January 4th, 2012, 06:46 AM
I've done it twice now, first time was awesome, second time I kind of regretted just because I was at APL for my growth here at LHC. Still fun to have at least done it ^_^ So little time to spend on it.

I miss Igor :(

Jing
January 4th, 2012, 10:03 AM
I did! I did! And it was awesome! :cheese: Ye gods 1/4 inch hair is so easy to live with. I noticed that the only people who thought it was a bad cut were ones who were firm believers in the idea that being a woman = having long hair.

That cut really, really suits you! Absolutely gorgeous.

wishywashy
January 4th, 2012, 10:57 AM
I loved shaving my head when I did. It was so freeing and clean feeling....I miss it sometimes.

Purdy Bear
January 4th, 2012, 12:20 PM
You look terrific with the fringe and back bit. As a fellow member has already said Igor shaved her head and has stunningly long hair now.

LaceyNg
January 4th, 2012, 02:31 PM
super hot! LOVE it!

i've always wanted a mohawk, but i'm afraid that if i do it i'd miss the part that got cut off. :/

Snippety
January 4th, 2012, 03:39 PM
it looks great !

I went from waist length to buzz cut back in 1995 and kept it shaved for four years. Loved the freedom and androgyny of it, although everyone else told me it looked dreadful :D

I decided to start growing it again in April 1999 and by summer 2010 it was almost at the backs of my knees. I chopped it back to waist length again then, and no w trying desperately to re-grow. Periodically I think about shaving my head again, in fact it was just such a dilemma that brought me here ! hope you have fun with it and enjoy your new look - it rocks :)

Amiblue
January 4th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Super funky! :D I love the bangs and was wondering how that was going to look. A great look for you actually!

Medievalmaniac
January 4th, 2012, 05:39 PM
I shaved my head last June, when I started chemo treatments. Prior to that, I had chopped off a tailbone braid. I miss my hair desperately. Right now, it is only 2.5 inches long - not even lying flat yet.

It is going to take four and a half agonizingly long years to get back to where I was, and I am honestly miserable about it. But I am trying hard to maintain optimism and remember that I get to start from scratch with totally virgin hair, and how great the milestones will be once they come back into my life.

Still - it really sucks and I miss my locks.

Linnykinz
January 28th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Hello, my beautiful and handsome LHCers! I jsut wanted to stop by to show you all an update of my hair progress, one month after my big shave (okay, one month and a day ;)). It's been an interesting experience so far. I've gotten a lot of negative as well as positive feedback out in the real world. It seems people either love it or hate it. My head gets cold and I've resorted to beanies lately; unfortunately, winter in Southern California doesn't allow much beanie wearing! (80 degrees, anyone?)

I don't have any regrets, and I personally kind of like it. I don't fancy the way it looks, but I do fancy how easy and convenient it is to have, wash, and style. I finally feel like any hair that I grow will be earned and easier for me to love and appreciate, because hey, I'm going through a lot to get it! Hehe :)

As far as growth goes, I don't feel like this has been a tremendous amount of growth-- at least, not as much as I was anticipating. I have been using Monistat, applied full strength every 3 days, as well as a sulfur/castor oil/capsaicin serum I've concocted every 2 or 3 days. Yesterday, my one month mark, I began on my Diatomaceous Earth supplement again so I'm hoping to see a growth spurt from that. ;) I've taken hair, skin, and nail vitamins all throughout.

http://i40.tinypic.com/o5w8ro.jpghttp://i40.tinypic.com/2jd1g7p.jpg
VS.
http://i43.tinypic.com/51aw8.jpg <-- One month ago!

What do you think? :yinyang:

Linnykinz
January 28th, 2012, 02:46 PM
...I am trying hard to maintain optimism and remember that I get to start from scratch with totally virgin hair, and how great the milestones will be once they come back into my life.

Still - it really sucks and I miss my locks.

I'm sorry to hear what happened, but it seems you are staying strong about it! My story is not nearly as powerful as yours but I feel for you on how long it will take to reach our goal lengths. I am aiming for tailbone, myself. On days I get frustrated, I just imagine long, silky, curly, virgin hair and feel a little bit better. :blossom:

Vanille_
January 28th, 2012, 02:55 PM
It looks great and I definitely see the growth!

DakarNick
January 28th, 2012, 05:56 PM
More front pics! I love the long bangs! Are you trimming them or letting them grow?

Linnykinz
January 28th, 2012, 08:02 PM
More front pics! I love the long bangs! Are you trimming them or letting them grow?

Thanks! :) I'm letting them grow for now. Shortly after I shaved my hair, I not-so-cleverly decided to "fix up" my bangs with some hair shears, and ended up a little short! :p I'm growing them to about chin-length then I will regularly trim them while my hair grows.