PDA

View Full Version : What are those short little hairs...

mamachanse
July 13th, 2008, 05:25 PM
sticking up on the top of my head? I'm totally paranoid about my middle part, damage, and just about everything involved in making my already waist length hair grow strong, beautiful, and healthy.

Are they new growth or damage? I have never worn my hair up on a consistent basis before so it could be that I never noticed. I have also tweaked my routine lately from CWC nearly every day to CO a few times a week and CWC only once per week with an ACV rinse and some coconut oil thrown into the mix. Could the routine change cause this? I am also in the middle (hopefully close to the end) of my postpartum shedding phase so perhaps that has something to do with it.

Any insight would be appreciated. Especially before I do more research and make myself freak out more! Thanks.

Pegasus Marsters
July 13th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I bet it's new growth! I always get lots of baby hairs ^.^

bunnii
July 13th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I second new growth! when I joined LHC I had hardly any but when I started taking better care of my hair I got loads.

Riot Crrl
July 13th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Eyeball the ends of them as well as you can. If they're coming to a smooth point at the end, it's new growth. If they're split or look jagged or anything, breakage.

I have a million of them that are suspiciously the length of growth since switching to CO... all tapered. I'm happy for new growth but it'd be nice if they could not stick up so much all the time :silly:

ColoradoDreamer
July 13th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I'd bet good money that they are new growth. When I do CO for an extended period of time, I get fuzzies sticking up all over, and mine are definitely new growth.

Chrissy
July 13th, 2008, 07:26 PM
People on here often call this "new growth" a halo.

mamachanse
July 13th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the help all. I'm gonna go with new growth ;)

Now, how in the world do I tame it?

Cichelle
July 13th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Eyeball the ends of them as well as you can. If they're coming to a smooth point at the end, it's new growth. If they're split or look jagged or anything, breakage.

I have a million of them that are suspiciously the length of growth since switching to CO... all tapered. I'm happy for new growth but it'd be nice if they could not stick up so much all the time :silly:

Wouldn't it though? I have a million, too. I used to worry about them until I examined them and found them to be tapered. Nothing really tames mine, unfortunately. I have had some luck just recently using a baby's brush and gently brushing them. I mean a real baby's brush that is extremely soft. But for the most part, I kinda just live with my halo.

harley mama
July 13th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Yeah for new growth! I remember getting a new crop of hair after a big shed. It was like a mini mohawk growing in at my part line! I didn't bother to try to control mine. I was to excited to be getting new hair in! But, I am a curly and my hair is always a little unruly! You might try some aloe gel to help smooth things down.

MoonCreature
July 14th, 2008, 01:49 AM
New growth that isn't pulled down/tamed by longer hairs :p I thought I had them mostly at my hairline, but then I put my hair in a cinnabun and ran my hands against the hair and POOF, the other ones popped out and made a nice halo :D

Mandie
July 14th, 2008, 01:52 AM
I always sprayed just a bit of hairspray on my hands, and then ran them through my hair. Just enough that the small hairs stuck down but the bigger hairs didn't get all clumped and gross.

Yay baby hairs!

Katze
July 14th, 2008, 03:14 AM
I've had masses of them sticking up all over my crown since last Spring. Whenever we have a period of sunshine and warmth, it seems like my hair responds like the trees and flowers do, and sprouts a new crop.

Since coming to LHC my hair has gained about an inch in thickness, so these baby hairs are, hopefully, a sign of more thickness coming in.

Aloe works to smooth them down, and they are usually less visible on days 2-4 after washing, though they never really lay smooth.

sexyjacksparrow
July 14th, 2008, 06:11 AM
These little baby hair drive me nuts. I call them alien hairs (dunno why, it just stuck!).

kerry xx

Presto
July 14th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Ah! I didn't realize CO could cause this! I assumed it was the sporadic occasional use of monistat that had done it. But I did start CO about 4-5 months ago and have a bumper crop of ~3 inch wispies everywhere. :D
Go babies go babies go!

danacc
July 14th, 2008, 08:57 PM
To tame them, try Kimberlily's defrizz spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277).

Angellen
July 15th, 2008, 01:47 AM
I've recently got quite a crop myself. They range between 3 and 4 inches and just love to stand straight up. There's so many of them, I could pull them down and make myself a nice set of wispy bangs! It was worried at first (-all- my updos had been pulling after a bit), until I noticed that they all had tapered ends. Now I'm just waiting for them to get long enough to pull back! Grow, hair, grow!