PDA

View Full Version : Wrapping hair in towel damaging?

SopphireGem
December 31st, 2011, 02:47 PM
I've noticed that when my hair is wet and I wrap my hair up in a towel for a while, by the time it has dried it feels really dry and horrible. But if I just comb my hair when it's wet and leave it to dry on its own without a towel, it feels much softer. Why is this? Is this logical?

Aeris
December 31st, 2011, 02:59 PM
The terry cloth of the towel is pretty drying, and dryness can lead to damage. My hair looked terrible back when I used to leave it wrapped up in a towel. Using a plain cotton t-shirt instead (to absorb all the excess water) can help with this.

OakTreeGirl
December 31st, 2011, 03:12 PM
Is using a normal cotton cloth safe? I've seen people talk about silk hair covers, but I'm on a budget. I have a towel for my hair that is made of handwoven cotton.

spidermom
December 31st, 2011, 03:15 PM
I hate the way towels make my hair feel. I use two flannel pillow-cases (soft cotton), one inside the other, and drop my length into them to absorb the drip.

Amber_Maiden
December 31st, 2011, 03:21 PM
I hate the way a towel makes my hair feel as well- which is why I no longer use them on my hair.

bumblebums
December 31st, 2011, 03:31 PM
I use a microfiber towel that I got at a hiking store. It's both absorbent and silky soft on hair. This kind:

http://www.rei.com/product/783079/rei-multitowel-lite-large-towel-37-x-235

Musiclover94_12
December 31st, 2011, 03:57 PM
I was actually just going to post something on this, because I have always wondered that! Thanks for the clarification, I am now going to stop doing wrapping my hair in it.

Madora
December 31st, 2011, 04:33 PM
I use an Egyptian cotton towel for my hair...but it is only on my head for less than 15 minutes tops.

Before my hair (which has been detangled) goes up in the towel, I bend at the waist, bring my hair in front of me, and holding the towel vertically, gently wind it around the length. Then I use my palms and press gently down the wrapped length to remove the excess water. The towel wrapped hair is then wound around my head and sits there until I finish tidying up the bathroom.

Revontuletar
December 31st, 2011, 10:41 PM
I use a towel, I have never thought of using anything else, but it is only on my head for about four minutes or so, I take it off pretty quickly

Mommyof4
December 31st, 2011, 10:46 PM
I use a satin pillowcase to dry my hair.. it is so much nicer to my hair than a towel. I bought the pillowcase for like $3.

katsrevenge
January 1st, 2012, 01:04 AM
I do pretty much what Madora is doing. I've never noted any damage from it. (And, If I just let it hang, wet, it would NEVER dry. As it is takes long enough!

kaiakai
January 1st, 2012, 01:21 AM
I think this is going to be my next experiment.

sharicat
January 1st, 2012, 02:51 AM
towels make my hair dry and rough and more inclined to frizz. Much smoother and softer since I switched to an old cotton t shirt :)

almond
January 1st, 2012, 06:51 AM
Honestly I never thought about this... this would explain why my hair is dry after washes sometimes, despite the conditioner :uhh: I will try the cotton T-shirt next time.

shikara
January 1st, 2012, 09:24 AM
Ive always used a towel too - a nice soft one (obviously towel quality and absorption varies tremendously), and Ive always liked it. I do think Ill give the t-shirt method a go though:)!

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_a5642814.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=a5642814.jpg)

yummy
January 1st, 2012, 09:28 AM
i find my hair ends up very dry if it is left in a towel for more than 15 minutes