PDA

View Full Version : bun question...

hendricks82
December 31st, 2011, 12:20 PM
I see so many pictures of lovely soft looking buns. I can't figure out how you ladies create the soft swept look. I tend to get either the "messy falling out need to fix your hair" look or its super tight (which I like for some things)

I would like to create a soft romantic looking bun that stays... what's the secret?

Oh, and my tight buns tend to hurt my head so... its either falling out or too tight too many pins LOL

thanks ladies!

nakmom
December 31st, 2011, 12:24 PM
I'll be anxiously awaiting reply's with you! I can't do a nice looking bun for the life of me! :justy:

Yozhik
December 31st, 2011, 12:40 PM
Have you tried french twists or flipped buns? Those tend to give soft upswept looks for me.

I had more success with making looser looking buns with hair a bit longer than BSL, I think. I probably hit the sweet spot somewhere around waist. Also, forks and combs allow me to secure looser, fuller buns, so you may want to look into those as well. My favorites are 2-4 tines, not too narrowly placed. :)

Hope that helps! :flower:

jacqueline101
December 31st, 2011, 12:45 PM
i find that it takes alot of practice. I know its probably not what you wanted to hear. I have found a tight bun loosens up on me. Maybe you could try a loose bun but dont put it in as tight.

WaterMusic
December 31st, 2011, 12:53 PM
I agree with Yozhik, when my hair was BSL I was just trying desperately to keep it from falling out. Give it some more length, and you may find that styles you use now don't need to be pulled as tight.

hendricks82
December 31st, 2011, 12:53 PM
I have a few forks (that my Dad made me for Christmas) I am trying to get used to them... I have had okay luck with sticks, but I can't wear those to work, and they keep attacking the hubby and the kiddos when I hug them haha!

My hair is actually a little past BSL, and I'm looking forward to waist! This gives me even more things to look forward to.

I have had great success with buns and updos, I just wish mine didn't look so harsh and tight. I wore a flipped bun yesterday :-) I loved it! I just figured it out after a post that mentioned twisting it before flipping it... apparently I missed that the first hundred go rounds and that why the darned thing wouldn't flip. It held nicely all day with two spin pins.

hendricks82
December 31st, 2011, 12:55 PM
Have you tried french twists or flipped buns? Those tend to give soft upswept looks for me.

I had more success with making looser looking buns with hair a bit longer than BSL, I think. I probably hit the sweet spot somewhere around waist. Also, forks and combs allow me to secure looser, fuller buns, so you may want to look into those as well. My favorites are 2-4 tines, not too narrowly placed. :)

Hope that helps! :flower:

Since I missed a critical element and was frustrated with the flipped bun... what am I missing for a french twist? I always end up with a funky roll in the front/on top. I can sometimes pin it away other times its a wash. It like as I twist the back into the perfect little roll, the top gets worse and worse.:rolleyes:

pepperminttea
December 31st, 2011, 01:12 PM
Would the messy look qualify as loose and romantic? If so, the nicest messy bun I've ever done was just one I threw up in a hurry (ie. without detangling first at all) and without tucking my ends in. :)

There's also Amoretti's Falling Out bun (http://longhaircommunity.com/archive/showpost.php?p=1530716&postcount=1). :D

Yozhik
December 31st, 2011, 01:15 PM
Hendricks, is the flippy funky part on top part of the top part of your hair before you coil it into the twist, or does it form from the side where you kind of sweep the hair up over the roll? I don't know if that's clear, but I don't know how else to explain it.

I've had both issues, and the way to deal with the first is to more securely form the twist fairly low down on your head, and then not let it loosen too much when you twist it upwards. If you're talking about hair forming a sort of floppy thing from the side where you push the hair up and over the twist, then my solution is to smoosh it back in place, or put some extra pins in the top going down. I also sometimes separate a bit of hair from the side that will swoop over and make it into a loose rope braid or a simple twist going into the french twist -- this also helps keep that part under control.

Here's an example:
http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz256/Yozhik87/Hair/IMG_2147.jpg

I don't know if that was any help, but I hope I at least gave you some ideas to play around with. :)

hendricks82
December 31st, 2011, 01:36 PM
Yozhik... mostly option number 2. I'll try just smashing it back in next time LOL seems easy enough! I have gotten like three maybe four gorgeous french twists. Once they are up they stay forever, it just getting them there that is the hard part.

nougat
December 31st, 2011, 01:42 PM
That looks fabulous! Not to hijack this thread for my own purposes, but would you be willing to make a tutorial of that? I've tried French twists before but I can never get them to work because I end up with this massive thing on the back of my head. You have the same length hair as me, and you also make a big twist, but it looks great.

Yozhik
December 31st, 2011, 02:18 PM
nougat, not to hijack the thread any further, I'll link you to KarynLynn's doubled lazy french twist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLAtTwiaDBY) as well as Hypnotica's tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6cjaX_rUuE). This is how I get french twists to work with longer hair. :)

Although I think it's debatable about not producing a massive thing on the back of my head. :p

hendricks82
December 31st, 2011, 02:59 PM
nougat and Yozhik hijak away... technically all of this is still on topic for the op :-)

ideas for soft updos... okay okay I said bun, but this is very much what I had in mind :-)

nougat
January 5th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Ooh, thanks a bunch!