PDA

View Full Version : sunflower seed oil users!

bna_rapunzel
December 31st, 2011, 11:21 AM
I've done search after search and yes, I know which category this oil falls under but I was looking for more "personal" experiences.
I can't find those anywhere. :)
Any input would be wonderful! Thanks everyone!

Anddd....
Happy New Year! Have a beautiful and safe night everyone!

FluffSpider
December 31st, 2011, 11:48 AM
Happy new year to you too!
I've never heard of anyone using sunflower oil, because of the build-up-plus it doesn't even penetrate the hair shaft. It seems that it's hard to clean off of industrial vats-can you imagine how hard it would be getting it out of your hair? I don't think anyone would risk testing it either, for that precise reason.

Cleopatra18
December 31st, 2011, 11:49 AM
I have used it before and it made my hair so so soft. It's full of ceramides which are great for hair and increase shine, and decrease breakage over time. I only stopped using it because I already have so many other oils but I would totally recommend it.

FluffSpider
December 31st, 2011, 11:56 AM
Wow! Cleopatra18, for how long did you use it? did you notice any build-up?

bna_rapunzel
December 31st, 2011, 12:04 PM
I have used it before and it made my hair so so soft. It's full of ceramides which are great for hair and increase shine, and decrease breakage over time. I only stopped using it because I already have so many other oils but I would totally recommend it.

I've been hearing everywhere that its so good for making hair soft and shiny being used as a leave in because it wasn't too heavy.

unknown
December 31st, 2011, 01:07 PM
Happy new year to you too!
I've never heard of anyone using sunflower oil, because of the build-up-plus it doesn't even penetrate the hair shaft. It seems that it's hard to clean off of industrial vats-can you imagine how hard it would be getting it out of your hair? I don't think anyone would risk testing it either, for that precise reason.

I had no idea about this! Are you sure?
Sunflower seed oil is the only oil I use on my hair as it's the only one I can remove w/o shampoo and without my hair getting greasy. I find this oil to make my hair very soft and shiny.
I use it for OCM on my skin as well and haven't noticed any build-up on my skin or hair...

FluffSpider
December 31st, 2011, 01:20 PM
Drying oils are, as far as I know, hard to clean off. Some are actually used as wood lacquers of sorts...

ktani
December 31st, 2011, 01:30 PM
High-oleic sunflower oil is not a drying oil. Their are several kinds. Sunflower oil in general is a drying oil though. See the lists here, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=190 at the bottom of the post, with iodine values.

pepperminttea
December 31st, 2011, 01:30 PM
It's the carrier oil in this blend (http://www.etsy.com/transaction/67634106) which my hair loves. :) I've never used it solo, but that stuff really works well for me; lots of shine, happy ends, soft hair.

ktani
December 31st, 2011, 02:01 PM
Drying oils are, as far as I know, hard to clean off. Some are actually used as wood lacquers of sorts...

That is correct. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1271234&postcount=10

bna_rapunzel
December 31st, 2011, 08:09 PM
Thank you for all your input and info everyone :)
DH took me oil shopping :happydance: at my local natural whole foods store and found the sunflower seed oil, but then found fairly cheap pure :) jojoba oil and sweet almond oil, so I decided against the sunflower seed oil for now cuz I've wanted the other 2 oils for a while now!
And DH actually gave me his opinions (because I couldn't make up my mind, I only wanted sunflower seed oil OR jojoba and sweet almond oil) so I ended up with two brand new oils!! Yay! And they're so amazing. I'm sure sunflower seed oil is great as well, I anticipate trying it as my next oil experiment. :)
I <3 oils!
DH was so amazed at all the EOs and different oils for skin/hair. I got a chance to go all LHC on him, but just for a second :D