PDA

View Full Version : Never using lemon juice again with henna

naturegirl321
December 31st, 2011, 06:15 AM
I'd been using panacea and jojoba oil and I couldn't believe how soft my ends were. Then I hennaed it and used a lot of lime and lemon juice. Now my ends are like straw.

Next time I'm going to stick with grape juice, or tea, or apple juice. Maybe just a bit of lemon juice, but this is ridiculous!

rock007junkie
December 31st, 2011, 06:37 AM
If you need an acid use ACV. It's far less harsh than lemon juice. Lately I've also been using tea which seems to work very well too.

Night_Kitten
December 31st, 2011, 06:51 AM
When I hennaed I sometimes used just a little bit of lemon juice to help release the color, but lemon juice can be drying, so using ACV is probably a better idea :)

kdaniels8811
December 31st, 2011, 06:53 AM
Henna works fine with warm water, no need for additives. Try that next time.

airmid
December 31st, 2011, 07:25 AM
I did the same thing a couple of months ago, used 100% lemon juice and no water. The colour was gorgeous (although it faded pretty bad), but my ends... ugh! I am still dealing with the damage! I am completely scared off lemon juice, and tried chamomile tea, and it turned out absolutely beautiful. :)

naturegirl321
December 31st, 2011, 07:42 AM
The first time I hennaed, I used only ACV and my eyes watered too much. I think I just need to use a little of everything

mrs_coffee
December 31st, 2011, 07:43 AM
I added lemon juice to my mix once, but it made my scalp itch so badly I never did it again.

ktani
December 31st, 2011, 07:43 AM
I did the same thing a couple of months ago, used 100% lemon juice and no water. The colour was gorgeous (although it faded pretty bad), but my ends... ugh! I am still dealing with the damage! I am completely scared off lemon juice, and tried chamomile tea, and it turned out absolutely beautiful. :)

Lemon juice and vinegar are about the same pH full strength and both can be damaging undiluted or not diluted well.

Diluted well, both are useful and can yield great results on hair but perhaps not with henna.

allycat
December 31st, 2011, 07:53 AM
I used lemon in my henna once like 20 years ago, and never again. The dryness was atrocious.

Now I'm back to regular henna-ing and it works fantastic with water only.

CurlyMopTop
December 31st, 2011, 08:04 AM
I just did my first Henna application Fri. night. I used a combination of chamomile tea, hot water, and a couple of splashes of lemon juice. I slept with the Henna on over night. My hair is a little dry, but not too bad. I think that if I would have had time to do an smt afterwards that it would have taken care of it. I'm going to do one today instead, then my hair should be right as rain. I love the color but it's very different from what I'm used to. :D