PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone put suncreen in their hair?

CurlyCap
December 30th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Hi All.

I was wondering:
1. Do you use sunscreen in your hair?
2. If yes, what kind?
3. If yes, what unexpected results did it have?

It seems odd that we have to protect our skin from sun damage but not our hair. While it's true that hair can't become cancerous, it also can't repair itself from sun damage.

I was looking at my can of Banana Boat Baby Spray and seriously thinking. It's incredibly light and already in a sprayer....

Arashi
December 30th, 2011, 11:53 PM
I certainly wouldn't try to put sunblock intended for skin on my hair, though I have been curious at the thought of a sunscreen for hair, or perhaps a conditioner with sunscreen in it. I think I'd rather go the more traditional route of a hat or parasol when I venture out in the sun, however.

(after doing a search on Amazon for "hair sunscreen" I see that there is such a thing out there.. interesting)

julliams
December 31st, 2011, 12:00 AM
I have this product called Motion Lotion by Kevin Murphy that claims to have a sunscreen in it. It's not my hair that needs it but my skin! I was out buying a plant from a nursery yesterday with my hair up and my whole back and shoulders got burnt from only about 30 minutes exposure (if that). I came back looking like a right lobster.

As for the hair product, if I use too much it makes my hair greasy so I doubt I can put enough in it to actually make it work as a sunscreen. Does hair really need one anyway?

auburntressed
December 31st, 2011, 12:05 AM
Nah, I wouldn't put sunscreen in my hair. When I was tiny, my mom used to tie a bandanna around my hair/head to protect me from ticks. Not sure that is effective against ticks, but the habit caught on. I still cover my head while outdoors if I go out during the day, though usually it is with a hat that has a brim around it. I also wear long sleeves through the summer, to protect from sun. Sunscreen might possibly be the most awesome invention of the 20th century, but it's still not as protective as a good old hat and shirt. :)

Though my lifestyle has me up during night time hours, so daytime element exposure is rare for me.

Quixii
December 31st, 2011, 12:35 AM
I don't know about putting sunscreen in my hair, but I remember seeing this shampoo (http://www.iherb.com/Desert-Essence-Organics-Hair-Care-Italian-Red-Grape-Shampoo-8-fl-oz-237-ml/12050?utm_source=gb&utm_medium=f3) and conditioner set at Safeway and wondering if hair needs the UV protection. Personally, I like how the sun naturally lightens my hair just a bit over time, and don't know if any (minimal?) sun damage is worth negating that effect.

RapunzelKat
December 31st, 2011, 12:47 AM
I don't put sunscreen on my hair, but I do put it on my part line. I actually like the sun-lightened look for my hair, but a burned scalp is truly awful :( Of course some of it does wind up in my hair though, and it makes it REALLY yucky and greasy :p
If you want to protect your color from getting sun-lightened I would suggest a hat or bandana, as a couple others have already posted.

luxepiggy
December 31st, 2011, 04:35 AM
UV radiation is actually quite damaging to the hair. A 2004 article (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=journal%20society%20cosmetic%20chemists%20review %20uv%20radiaation%20hair%20structure&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjournal.scconline.org%2Fpdf%2Fcc2 004%2Fcc055n01%2Fp00095-p00113.pdf&ei=ePL-TpybGenkiAKQtKmIDQ&usg=AFQjCNES__1xqow7WobVeZfOcECcbeW6Aw&cad=rja) from the Journal of the Society of Cosmetic Chemists concluded:
there is no real doubt as to the undesirable effect of visible and/or UV radiation on hair structure and physical integrity

Damage to protein and lipids in the cuticle of the hair fiber are caused by UVA and UVB irradiation

Both [visible] and UV radiation can, independently, promote the conversion of cystine to cysteic acid (photo-oxidation)

UV radiation has clear effects on the physical measurements correlated to the strength and integrity of the hair fiber: it decreases the stress-to-break, the Young's modulus (fiber strength), and dynamic contact angle (hydrophobicity), and it increases the wet-combing force (coarser, difficult to manage hair)

I'm not sure it would be effective to put conventional sunscreens onto the hair; there are plenty of hair products that are formulated to help protect the hair against UV radiation. I know Alterna has quite a few; they've even recently launched an entire UV+ product line specifically addressing this concern.

blondecat
December 31st, 2011, 04:54 AM
I do

I just use whatever im putting on my skin.

Im really really fair and even my hair appears to 'Burn'

jacqueline101
December 31st, 2011, 06:30 AM
No I haven't used sun screen in my hair and I'm afraid it would be too oily.

rock007junkie
December 31st, 2011, 06:34 AM
In the summer when I wear my har curly I use gel. Both ecostyler and Xtreme wetline gel have UV protectants

Hollyfire3
December 31st, 2011, 09:09 AM
I have done this, but it is not the spray kind. Now, i do not use sunscreen in my hair on a daily basis, but in the summer at the beach of waterpark or outside most of the time, heck yeah i use it. I am super parinoid about lightening my hair (it is dark brown and would go gold/redish highlights) so i take a good amount and rub it into dry hair. Not sure it does anything, especially after a day at the beach in the sand and sun and water, but it makes me feel better:D. I also have this product by redken that is a spary in sunscreen for hair, i have used nearly the whole bottle now, not relizing a little goes a long way, but it seems to work well. The bottle says it is for scalp protection and hair protection. I also used to use some older brunettes color protection cream to preven brassiness, that worked well until i used it all...now i can't find it again for the life of me. Point is, if you use a bit of sunscreen on your hair, it wont hurt it does help, i think so anyway. My mother tells me she uses it on her blonde hair whenever she runs, but I dont know what it does cause whenever i see her, her hair looks about the same all the time...but i can be pretty unobservant at time...just try the sunscreen if you think it will help, what's the worst that could happen? (lol yeah, with MY history about hair don't say that....)

ladyfey
December 31st, 2011, 10:04 AM
I used to when I worked outside. I used an oil sunscreen made just for hair.

Diamond.Eyes
December 31st, 2011, 10:07 AM
I fear that the titanium dioxide in sunblock would cause horrible buildup. I live in the desert and I've found coconut oil to be a great protectant.:)

MissCoco
December 31st, 2011, 10:09 AM
Sorry, double post and the delete option isn't working!

MissCoco
December 31st, 2011, 10:11 AM
I just use monoļ oil. :p Hats are too small and look silly on me, and scarves can't contain much hair anyway, so I reassure myself with the fact that most of my ancestors lived in hot, sunny climates and that my bushy mane can handle anything. :sun:

BrightEyes
December 31st, 2011, 10:13 AM
I don't put sunscreen in my hair, although I will put it on my parting if I am going to be out in the sun for a long time. I'm afraid that the sunscreen would make my hair oily.

When I heat styled more often, a couple of my heat protectant serums also claimed to protect against UVA/UVB damage. I don't know if they really did though.

ElusiveMuse
December 31st, 2011, 10:54 AM
I do! I use this Aveda leave-in spray that protects against heat damage and UV rays.
http://www.aveda.com/product/7417/16911/Hair-Care/Hair-Concern/smooth-and-tame/Brilliant-Damage-Control/index.tmpl

It's $16 but I use it almost daily and it's lasted me a very long time so I think it's worth the price. It makes my hair so soft and I love the scent.

cheycheyeyes
December 31st, 2011, 11:27 AM
I personally don't and don't think i will, I truly love the natural highlights the sun can give you. :eyebrows:

akilina
December 31st, 2011, 11:29 AM
i would not do it at all. Id rather use something along the lines of a product for UV protection. Not all hair prodducts are the enemy. at my work we have a sun protector jelly for your hair and a shine spray that also has UV protection. I wouldnt mind using something like this although lately ive been using only oils and natural products.

BrightEyes
December 31st, 2011, 12:50 PM
I do! I use this Aveda leave-in spray that protects against heat damage and UV rays.
http://www.aveda.com/product/7417/16911/Hair-Care/Hair-Concern/smooth-and-tame/Brilliant-Damage-Control/index.tmpl

It's $16 but I use it almost daily and it's lasted me a very long time so I think it's worth the price. It makes my hair so soft and I love the scent.

Oh I have this, but somehow I've completely forgotten about it!!! I remember liking it a lot. Wonder why I stopped using it.......

I need to go resurrect it from my hair product grave yard. Thanks for the reminder!:D

Lady Neeva
December 31st, 2011, 01:02 PM
I tried (Neutrogena one) ...ugh.

Amber_Maiden
December 31st, 2011, 01:20 PM
I don't and wouldn't. I think the less you put on your hair the better.