PDA

View Full Version : What is your taper?

shikara
December 30th, 2011, 09:01 PM
If you look in hair polls and projects, I bumped a thread from a few years back, where people measured at the nape, bsl, waist, tb and so on. Id sure like to see a lot more, and Ill measure mine tomorrow when its down. I suppose you could either answer in what your measurements actually are, or just the difference. So far I found the following..

from nape to bsl, about four measured 1/2" thinner, four at 3/4" four at an 1" and four at 1 1/4" roughly.

from bsl to waist, ranging from 1/4" to 1 1/2", the average was just under 1" thinner.

from waisf to tb, 1/2" to 1"' the average 3/4" thinner.

These were fast rough guestimations of the 17 or so who posted back then.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_a5642814.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=a5642814.jpg)

shikara
December 30th, 2011, 09:17 PM
hmmm, maybe I should figure out the taper on a % basis for thoose of us with thinner hair!

RapunzelKat
December 30th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Here's mine!

Nape: 3"
BSL: 2.25"
Waist: 1.5"
TBL: .5" ish - not too sure about this one
Past TBL: really thin!!

Hmm, I need to adjust my profile... It's a touch thicker than I thought :D

My hair is super-fine and completely straight (if there was a 0A, that would be me ;)) so my hair compacts a lot when I'm measuring. I have noticed over the years as it grows that the taper seems to sort of move down my hair. (When I was waist length, my bottom ends were much thinner than 1.5" if you see what mean.) If I trim and let my hair grow back out, my ends get thicker :D

I hope others will post! I would love to see what kind of taper the other straight, fine-haired members have.

AnnaJamila
December 30th, 2011, 10:32 PM
My hair is about 4.5 inches at the nape, then 3.5 midshaft and about 1.75 at the ends. Lol, I can't wait to get rid of those stupid layers!!!

auburntressed
December 30th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Hmm... I will have to measure and get back to you. I know that if I measure at the nape, I'm right at 5", but if I slide it down even just three or four inches, it's already tapered to 3.75 ish. I feel like my hair tapers dramatically, but I'll do the measurements more properly later so that I can see how close to "normal" it is.

Quixii
December 31st, 2011, 01:27 AM
Nape: 3.5 (eek, thinner than the last time I measured..)
Shoulder: 2.8
Waist: 1.9
Hip: 1.5
End: ~.25

Not quite sure what that means.. o.o

jacqueline101
December 31st, 2011, 06:26 AM
I've never heard of such measuring interesting.

EdG
December 31st, 2011, 10:05 AM
I have probably the most unusual taper on LHC.

My hair starts out very thick at shoulder-length. It stays thick up until my waist. My hair then becomes Y-shaped, with the top of the "Y" at my waist, the middle of the "Y" at tailbone, and the bottom of the "Y" past my knees. Between tailbone and knee, my hair is very thin (too thin to be visible in my signature picture below - my longest strands are actually touching the carpet).

This taper has persisted for several years now, so I'm fairly certain it is naturally caused by differing terminal lengths.
Ed

shikara
January 1st, 2012, 01:58 AM
Okay this is a little humbling but mine is:

Nape 2.75
bsl 1.5
waisr 1.00
tb .5

Guess what one of my goals is this coming year!

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_a5642814.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=a5642814.jpg)

Stagecoach
January 1st, 2012, 06:45 AM
My taper is more significant now, due to some severe shedding this year.

jaine
January 1st, 2012, 08:14 AM
hmmm, maybe I should figure out the taper on a % basis for thoose of us with thinner hair!

Actually you would probably be more interested in the percent difference of the ponytail's area - not its circumference. (if we're going to be totally exact about it!)

dfotw
January 1st, 2012, 12:31 PM
My taper is the bane of my existence... I've been mantaining at Classic (when wet) to try and get rid of it, so let's see those numbers!

Nape: 4 inches
Shoulder: 3 1/4 inches
BSL: 3 inches
Waist: 2 1/2 inches
Hip: 1 6/8 inches
Ends: 7/8 of an inch

I foresee a lot of microtrimming in my future... :rolleyes:

HairStickler
January 1st, 2012, 06:31 PM
It seems that my hair tapers all the way down, not just after waist, which is what I thought before measuring:

nape 4.5"
BSL 3"
waist 2"
TB 1"

On the other hand, it does explain why my braids have hairs sticking out for their entire length!